The Big, Big Thread Of Lesbian Subtext

Zev

Superhero
Reaction score
Let's be honest. Sure, Alan Moore can write comics where you have to set the pages on fire and read the smoke to find out the triple-secret-ultra-deluxe ending and Scott McCloud can babble on about sequential art all he wants, but there's one real reason we all love comics...

And that's lesbian subtext. Throughout history, comics have been written and drawn by lonely, dirty men. And lonely, dirty men love lesbians. So come take a look at the wide, wide world of lesbian subtext. The rules are simple. The entire week is dedicated to lesbian subtext (and not-so-subtext), with a "ladies night" Saturday of latent male homosexuality. This Saturday, we learn that Wolverine is the best he is at what he does... but what he does isn't very heterosexual.

And begin!

batgirladventurespg189ye.jpg

Whoa, lesbian subtext two-fer. And in a cartoon for kids, no less. Paul Dini, Bruce Timm, you should be ashamed of yourselves. Or proud. One of those two.

I hope you don't mean that as a bad thing, Zev.

It's true though, just about all men love lesbians...though I think bi girls would make more sense, because with lesbians, you wouldn't stand a chance, but with a bi girl...you still wouldn't have a chance, but it's more likely. :o

MaskedManJRK said:
I hope you don't mean that as a bad thing, Zev.

Can lesbians EVER be a bad thing?

Well, probably, but you get my point.

Zev said:
Can lesbians EVER be a bad thing?

Well, probably, but you get my point.

Yeah, I hear ya.

Love your avatar, by the way. :D

How could you not?

I don't have anything to contribute yet but this is a good idea for a thread. :up:

KingOfDreams said:
I found this...

wwbind8al.jpg

Yeah, Wonder Woman's so full of lesbian subtext, you may as well call it text.

I remember seeing a pic where when some group of people (it might be the JLA) ask her about the fact that she was with a whole bunch of hot amazons in Themiskira, she replies "Why do you think they call it PARADISE ISLAND?"

:o

I remember that. I think it was the issue where the League had to inflitrait some all female comune, so Martian Manhunter just turned into a woman without giving it a second thought, and Blue Beetle and Booster Gold made fun of him for it.

Whew, made it just in time for the daily update!

On the one hand, you have an Amazon warrior trained by Wonder Woman herself. On the other, you have a nymphomaniac alien princess who doesn't understand the buzz about this whole "clothes" thing. The question isn't "do they have subtext?" The question is "How can they NOT have subtext?"

donnakorylove9zr.jpg

The answer: Impossibly.

It's time for...

LATENT MALE HOMOSEXUALITY SATURDAY.

arwolverine4ee.jpg

I'm sorry, but all I get from looking at that picture is... Wolverine feels pretty, oh so pretty, he feels pretty and witty and gay...

And now it's time for Canonical Lesbianism Sunday. Because sometimes the subtext becomes text.

detectivecomics764pg049bx.jpg

detectivecomics764pg051yp.jpg

Fun Fact: Believe it or not, Maggie Sawyer was also portrayed as a lesbian on the Superman animated series, where a "special lady friend" sat by her bedside in the hospital. Now you know!

Zev said:
Whew, made it just in time for the daily update!

On the one hand, you have an Amazon warrior trained by Wonder Woman herself. On the other, you have a nymphomaniac alien princess who doesn't understand the buzz about this whole "clothes" thing. The question isn't "do they have subtext?" The question is "How can they NOT have subtext?"

donnakorylove9zr.jpg

The answer: Impossibly.

......did Wolfman and Perez know that they were doing this?

The Question said:
......did Wolfman and Perez know that they were doing this?

Considering how often it happened, I think so.

Zev said:
And now it's time for Canonical Lesbianism Sunday. Because sometimes the subtext becomes text.

detectivecomics764pg049bx.jpg

detectivecomics764pg051yp.jpg

Fun Fact: Believe it or not, Maggie Sawyer was also portrayed as a lesbian on the Superman animated series, where a "special lady friend" sat by her bedside in the hospital. Now you know!

You mean in the "Apokolyps...Now!" two-parter? Huh. I never thought of that. :eek:

9c125fc6.jpg

Okay, now they're not even trying to fool people.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"