Infinity War The Black Order

Civilian
Reaction score
Will they appear in infinity war, will the members be changed and who should be cast in the roles?

You'd have to ask Kevin Feige.

I could see them appearing, to give us more fight/action scenes without having to resort to more "nameless/faceless" cannon fodder. The Black Order have some personality/character to them.

I could also see them using pre-established Marvel villains. Maybe Thanos resurrects Ronan with the gauntlet, finds Red Skull wherever he got shot off to at the end of TFA, Loki might be involved somehow, etc? Thanos brings them together, gives them power boosts, and sends them to do his dirty work.

The producer Latcham did say they will be taking stuff from Hickman's run and I can't see much he added to the Thanos lore besides the Black Order and Thane.

Man, I'm okay with that. Hope they keep some Starlin in Thanos though.

My cast for Black order (please note I would also make sure that they made appearances throughout phase 3):

Ebony Maw:
Ralph Fiennes- Just watch he's performances as Hades and Voldermort
Corvus Glaive
Luke Evans- A good actor who cannot pick a good role if he's life depended on it but can do action and has played the villain.
Supergiant-
Helena Bonham carter- She could easily fill this role as she can do unhinged and crazy.
Black Dwarf-
Would not really need a great actor as it would be CGI so just a good voice actor.
Proxima Midnight
Genna Arterton- can do action and is actually a good actress.

My cast for Black order (please note I would also make sure that they made appearances throughout phase 3):

Ebony Maw:
Ralph Fiennes- Just watch he's performances as Hades and Voldermort

I think that those roles actually show him to be unfit for the character, actually. Ebony Maw seems more like the unassuming Starscream rather than a large-and-in-charge Big Bad that exudes presence.

I think that those roles actually show him to be unfit for the character, actually. Ebony Maw seems more like the unassuming Starscream rather than a large-and-in-charge Big Bad that exudes presence.

Actually thinking about it maybe Corvus Glaive might be a better fit?

I reckon it's very likely since marvel seems to like using he more modern stories in their films lately. Makes a lot of sense too because they're pretty cool

No thanks. Just about the most generic bunch of sub-boss-baddies I've ever come across. I've been out on Marvel comics since Infinity... though I'm planning to jump back in with some of the All-New, All-Different stuff. Didn't like about 90% of the Hickman stuff with respect to Thanos, the Avengers, etc.

I liked Cull Obsidian. The Avengers movies have a certain video game like feel anyway and they aren't going to be spending two movies fighting Thanos alone. They would give some variety.

No thanks. Just about the most generic bunch of sub-boss-baddies I've ever come across. I've been out on Marvel comics since Infinity... though I'm planning to jump back in with some of the All-New, All-Different stuff. Didn't like about 90% of the Hickman stuff with respect to Thanos, the Avengers, etc.

Would you rather see the avengers fight yet another army of guys they generally outclass or against a team of villains? I know I would go for the Black order as we have not seen the Avengers fight another team.

Would you rather see the avengers fight yet another army of guys they generally outclass or against a team of villains? I know I would go for the Black order as we have not seen the Avengers fight another team.
No. I'd rather they fight Thanos.

And no, that doesn't mean IW1 and IW2 have to be one long 5 hour fight sequence. While there are a lot of things from Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet that would need to be changed to fit the context of the MCU, I'm hoping for IW1 and IW2 to follow that broad template. At this point, Thanos hiring more minions to do his "fighting" for him would make little to no sense.

Last edited:

And no, that doesn't mean IW1 and IW2 have to be one long 5 hour fight sequence. While there are a lot of things from Thanos Quest and Infinity Gauntlet that would need to be changed to fit the context of the MCU, I'm hoping for IW1 and IW2 to follow that broad template. At this point, Thanos hiring more minions to do his "fighting" for him would make little to no sense.

He does not need to hire them they already work for him (e.g. Nebula), they would have the job of keeping everyone busy whilst he got the stones, so they would be he's generals leading the chitauri vs the Nova core whilst he gets the power stone, etc. So Thanos would be leading them but they would be someone else for the Avengers to fight.

The movies are called AVENGERS: Infinity War, so I don't want to see an entire movie centered around Thanos collecting all the stones. Every general needs an army, and after the Chitauri invasion, Thanos knows he needs an army suited to take on The Avengers. Why would he sully his own hands when he can have others do his work for him. Imagine that The Avengers barely defeat the Black Order, then to only get stomped by Thanos. That would be awesome. The Kree would likely be involved as well.

I think there's a high likelihood The Black Order shows up. The Russos are drawing heavily from Infinity.

The movies are called AVENGERS: Infinity War, so I don't want to see an entire movie centered around Thanos collecting all the stones. Every general needs an army, and after the Chitauri invasion, Thanos knows he needs an army suited to take on The Avengers. Why would he sully his own hands when he can have others do his work for him. Imagine that The Avengers barely defeat the Black Order, then to only get stomped by Thanos. That would be awesome. The Kree would likely be involved as well.

"Fine, I'll do it myself."

The point of the AoU stinger is that Thanos is, as the old adage goes, getting things done right by doing it himself. If you're going with Thanos as the giant brute, then you're doing a piss poor job building him up as a physical threat by once again bringing out minions to do his heavy lifting, especially since he only has two and half hours for his standard abilities to make a cinematic impression before they get overshadowed by his omnipotence.

"Fine, I'll do it myself."

The point of the AoU stinger is that Thanos is, as the old adage goes, getting things done right by doing it himself. If you're going with Thanos as the giant brute, then you're doing a piss poor job building him up as a physical threat by once again bringing out minions to do his heavy lifting, especially since he only has two and half hours for his standard abilities to make a cinematic impression before they get overshadowed by his omnipotence.

Marvel will have 5-6 hours of film to build up Thanos physically. That's more than enough time.

Thanos remarks on "doing it himself" doesn't preclude the possibility of gathering an army himself. Contrast this with giving an army to Loki in Avengers 1. I seriously doubt that an entire movie is going to be devoted to Thanos already having all the infinity stones. What would be the point? For that, Thanos would have all the stones by the final third act of the final movie.

Marvel will have 5-6 hours of film to build up Thanos physically. That's more than enough time.

Thanos remarks on "doing it himself" doesn't preclude the possibility of gathering an army himself. Contrast this with giving an army to Loki in Avengers 1. I seriously doubt that an entire movie is going to be devoted to Thanos already having all the infinity stones. What would be the point? For that, Thanos would have all the stones by the final third act of the final movie.

They will only have 2 1/2 hours to establish Thanos as a physical threat, as I don't think they will end part 1 without him as a god. Part 2 will be about bringing him down, as well as the upstart who steals his godhood. Delaying his ascension to godhood until the third act of part 2 doesn't make sense as that pretty much insures a rushed resolution.

Loki is a relatively unimposing antagonist that would need an army to make a show of force. Thanos in contrast has both the personal power AND the cunning to hold off any opposition until he becomes a god and consequently virtually unassailable.

That's not gonna happen. Even if you're going with the idea that they need to establish him as a physical threat, you're not gonna get 2 and a half hours of the Avengers just fighting one guy. It won't happen.

Even though Whedon isn't involved, he said he assumed the same thing, which as a writer, he should. Having a massive team of heroes against one dude is not enough to carry a story.

That's not gonna happen. Even if you're going with the idea that they need to establish him as a physical threat, you're not gonna get 2 and a half hours of the Avengers just fighting one guy. It won't happen.

Even though Whedon isn't involved, he said he assumed the same thing, which as a writer, he should. Having a massive team of heroes against one dude is not enough to carry a story.

Just because I said they have 2 1/2 hours to establish the guy as a physical threat, doesn't mean they have to max out the entire 2 1/2 hour runtime just fighting the guy like some bloated Raid movie. You can get a lot of mileage in 2 1/2 hours with a villain as complex and unique as Thanos in a way that doesn't revolved around just fighting, especially since you have the characters of several dozen main and supporting characters to attendvto as well.

That's the thing. When you have several dozen main characters, you're going to want them to be able to do something other than "Everyone dog pile on Thanos!"

He's gonna have minions working under him to give the Avengers something to do. And regardless, he needs other characters around to talk to. This is another simple writing point. Having Thanos babbling endlessly to nobody in particular works fine in the confines of a comic book (Starlin loves doing this) but less so in a live action movie. You can't have him talking incessantly to nobody in particular about his goals or motivations, so they're gonna have someone else to fill that role.

That's the thing. When you have several dozen main characters, you're going to want them to be able to do something other than "Everyone dog pile on Thanos!"

He's gonna have minions working under him to give the Avengers something to do. And regardless, he needs other characters around to talk to. This is another simple writing point. Having Thanos babbling endlessly to nobody in particular works fine in the confines of a comic book (Starlin loves doing this) but less so in a live action movie. You can't have him talking incessantly to nobody in particular about his goals or motivations, so they're gonna have someone else to fill that role.

There's plenty of characters for Thanos to interact with without having to introduce the Black Order, who really wouldn't be any different from the Other in terms of relationship dynamics. After all the original IG story only had Death, Mephisto, Starfox, Nebula, and Terraxia as part of his entourage, with only Mephisto and Terraxia interacting with Thanos for the most part. Loki and Gamora can fill the Mephisto and Starfox roles (respectively), and heck you can even introduce Skreet for a little comic relief. Not to mention his interactions with the other characters, especially the heroes (which is practically a classic Thanos story staple).

There would be plenty of things for the Avengers and the other characters "to do" that wouldn't have to involve fighting Thanos for the entire 2 1/2 hour runtime. Typically these movies have 5 major setpieces max, with the bulk of the runtime devoted to plot and character development. Thanks fighting by himself is a fresh dynamic over the played out "big bad and his goons" schtick of the previous two films, and allows for newer and creative teamwork scenes. The fact that Thanos is both smart AND powerful means that fights can play out in ways other than a straight forward physical confrontation, and makes Thanks seem even more formidable when he actually does uses his muscle.

So yeah. We're probably getting the Black Order. I'd be interested to see Black Dwarf vs. Black Panther or Giant-Man.

4313625-8999660451-newav.jpg

I'd be disappointed if we don't get The Black Order in the infinity movies. I really have s hard time believing marvel would not use them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"