The Boondocks Thread

I know somebody else can do it but he really made that character his own.
It’ll probably be like Mako playing Uncle Iroh in Avatar: The Last Airbender until he passed. The new actor was close, but you could still tell it wasn’t exactly him.

The only other actors I could perceive of taking over as Grandad would be either Samuel L Jackson or George Wallace.

But like you guys said John Witherspoon made that character his own.

It would probably be her moving in with them. Don't think they'd abandon the already established supporting cast.

She really should do it.

YouTube recommended this for me to watch...

There's a video on YouTube titled "John Witherspoon's Son Calls Out The Boondocks Reboot For Mistreatment" summarizes what J.D. Witherspoon said about his experience with trying out for the new season and the producers and higher ups. Basically it didn't go well, he and his family aren't involved, and he's not going to watch.

I'm listening to J.D.'s original video. He knows who they hired, has only met the dude twice, and is neutral to him (doesn't like or dislike him). What disgusts him is that the guy watched his IG stories of his dad and was probably trying to practice how to sound like him based on his grieving process. He knows the dude was on his profile since they don't follow each other. Also, the dude, the producers, etc. never reached out to his family for a blessing or anything like that like what was done with Paul Walker and Furious 7.

There's more, but basically the higher ups handled it in a messed up way. They (unofficially) offered him the role of the younger version. He suspects for a "feel good" story of his involvement; the role has been cast since January; so he's sure they're afraid about the backlash.

Last edited:
I'm listening to J.D.'s original video. He knows who they hired, has only met the dude twice, and is neutral to him (doesn't like or dislike him). What disgusts him is that the guy watched his IG stories of his dad and was probably trying to practice how to sound like him based on his grieving process. He knows the dude was on his profile since they don't follow each other. Also, the dude, the producers, etc. never reached out to his family for a blessing or anything like that like what was done with Paul Walker and Furious 7.

There's more, but basically the higher ups handled it in a messed up way. They (unofficially) offered him the role of the younger version. He suspects for a "feel good" story of his involvement; the role has been cast since January; so he's sure they're afraid about the backlash.

Thanks! I came across that video but then I saw it was almost 2 hours... seems a bit too long to tell this story, especially on YouTube.

I'll still watch the reboot. Yes it would've been a nice story if they gave the part to his son, but maybe the new guy was actually the better actor

Thanks! I came across that video but then I saw it was almost 2 hours... seems a bit too long to tell this story, especially on YouTube.

I'll still watch the reboot. Yes it would've been a nice story if they gave the part to his son, but maybe the new guy was actually the better actor

He has posted an edited shorter ~30 minute version.

On the grand scale, it’s another shadey Hollywood story.

He doesn’t name any names but he was lied to that someone very important was involved in the decision not to cast him because when he reached out to them directly, they expressed disappointment about J.D. not getting the job.

Top is all off with the personal aspect of losing his father and basically being told he doesn’t sound enough like his dad versus the guy they hired who didn’t know him like that.

It'll be another missed opportunity if they don't put Cesar in the reboot. Cree Summer would be perfect for the part.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"