First Avenger The Bucky Thread

Handle Bucky the same way that Nolan handles Robin in his batman movies. Keep him the ***** out.

Handle Bucky the same way that Nolan handles Robin in his batman movies. Keep him the ***** out.
Are you kidding? Robin is not an essential part of the origins of Batman. Bucky is for Cap. Don't make him a kid, go the Brubaker route.

While I agree that James Barnes needs to be in the movie... the costumed sidekick Bucky should NOT be in this movie. The character and his death (if they go that route and not the Ultimates route) is a huge motivator in Caps' emotional character arc.

I like a mix of stories. I like him to be a soldier (close to cap's age) who knows cap's secret. Cap needs someone to spill his guts to (he's like Cap's Alfred) As a writer's tool, he's great for getting Cap's emotions expressed verbally and he also symbolizes the average GI... so when he puts his life on the line... it means something.

What they need to avoid is the costume and the teenager angle. If Cap is 20-22... Bucky can be 18... or 16 and lied about his age.

Rage

What they need to avoid is the costume and the teenager angle. If Cap is 20-22... Bucky can be 18... or 16 and lied about his age.
While I agree about the costume I don't think it's completely unworkable. The costume could be potentially justified as a propaganda element and just as in the image posted earlier as a symbol to inspire America's youth. He wouldn't have to wear it on the battlefield.

While I prefer sixteen year old Bucky (and actually don't see why anyone would have a problem with it...a sixteen year old angry about the death of his father that's as well-trained and ruthless as Buck was could be a hell of a fighter), a merging of the Ultimate reality where he's a kid that looks out for Steve on his block and that's how he ends up being Cap's partner works too. I hope that he doesn't end up as Cap's photographer a lá ULTIMATES though.

That great scene from ULTIMATES where youthful Steve meets his old friends in the present can still be achieved without losing the effect of Bucky dying on the plane. The Gail Richards character could be added. Best of both worlds scenario there.

Brubaker Bucky would be perfect. What more can I say?

JGL as Bucky , and definitely go with the Ultimates. /Thread :D

Have Bucky be less of a colorful sidekick and more of a young soldier doing the dirty work and scouting (a la Brubaker).

Leave the door open for the Winter Soldier in future films.

I don't think Bucky should be a regular soldier. I think he should be given the role of Cap's partner. I would make his costume a mix between the comic costume and a soldier's uniform.

Something like this.

Bucky-1.png

Last edited:
It would need even less color. No red gloves or boots in this movie, PLEASE.

I'd like to see the side-kick thing done, costume and all. The good thing about THAT is having Winter Soldier appear in a sequel....

On the other hand, having him as a photographer and re-uniting with Steve as an 80 something year old man in the present was such a great scene in the Ultimate Avengers toon, especially after revealing he married Steve's former girlfriend, that was just gut-wrenching, and will help the audience relate to Steve's loss.....

Either way would work for me...

Problem is that either would be fine(I prefer the latter version myself though) but they need to choose since it's virtually impossible to tweak it and incorperate them both.

How About Jamie Bell ( Billy Elliot, Defiance ) for Bucky ?

Last edited:
Pics of your ideal bucky?

My opinion is he has to be in the film and die at the end has too.

Yeah and he's also kind of been in a "war" movie so I think he would be pretty good.

I still think Joseph Gordon Levitt is the best choice for Bucky. Have him disappear as a relic of Steve's past, a part of him he misses. Then bring him back as the Winter Soldier.

Joseph_Gordon-Levitt%20-%201%20-%20Brick.jpg

I always wanted JGL for Rick Jones, but he'd be good as Bucky as well.

I'd go with him being a random military grunt who Cap befriends. Then, when Cap wakes up from being frozen, he thinks Bucky is dead. But Bucky returns in a Captain America sequel as Winter Soldier.

Bucky should be a new recruit/rookie soldier in the beginning of the movie. cap and the red skull would be fighting 1 on 1 and bucky would go in to help cap against orders to stay put. than during the fight all 3 get frozen, and you never see bucky again the rest of the movie. he is believed dead.

than the next movie bring bucky back as winter soldier, and as a villain who hates cap. I guess cause he blames cap for leaving him frozen when the government thaws cap. and finally make him turn good @ the end of 2.

Well that's my rough idea on how to handle the character. anybody like? and what changes could be made to make it better, if any?

Hmmm, I like the 616 Bucky idea, they just this camaraderie and Steve had someone who he could turn to who knew what it was like fighting on the battlefield in his unique way, plus he could play a nice role in the whole icon to the media. I haven't read the latest issues of Cap (waiting to have a massive read fest down the line), but from what I've seen here, coupled with his surprisingly edgy and dark attitude in Cable and Deadpool, I want him to be strong willed and ready to do what needs to be done, no hokey stuff or random soldier who dies off. I think he needs a lot of weight, also keeping the door open for Winter Soldier is a great idea. :)

I think including Bucky as Captain America's friend and partner in this original, WW2-set movie is a great idea. Make him apparently die, but in a way that he can be brought back as the Winter Soldier down the line. If they use the Red Skull as the villain in this first film, Winter Soldier would be a solid choice for a follow-up antagonist in a Captain America sequel set in the present.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"