First Avenger The Bucky Thread

than the next movie bring bucky back as winter soldier, and as a villain who hates cap.
Do people really want Winter Soldier? Personally, I thought that was a bad idea well executed. Just because it worked suprisingly well in the comics doesn't mean that it would work in the movies.

Do people really want Winter Soldier? Personally, I thought that was a bad idea well executed. Just because it worked suprisingly well in the comics doesn't mean that it would work in the movies.

winter soldiers kinda cool. why not put him in a sequel?

I didn't like the idea of bringing Bucky back. It worked better than I hoped thanks to good writing. However, I still think that the idea in itself wasn't necessarily a good one. Retcons, bringing back dead people etc tend to get annoying in comics. Killing Bucky in one movie and bringing him back as Winter Soldier in a sequel might not work as well in the movie as it did in the comics. And since Cap has plenty of other stories that could be told, I'd prefer they leave Winter Soldier alone.

I didn't like the idea of bringing Bucky back. It worked better than I hoped thanks to good writing. However, I still think that the idea in itself wasn't necessarily a good one. Retcons, bringing back dead people etc tend to get annoying in comics. Killing Bucky in one movie and bringing him back as Winter Soldier in a sequel might not work as well in the movie as it did in the comics. And since Cap has plenty of other stories that could be told, I'd prefer they leave Winter Soldier alone.

but he doesn't have to die in the 1st 1. he could just get frozen w/ cap & skull

edit- plus, if he's just a soldier who gets frozen in the 1st movie, calling himself "winter soldier" will make perfect sense!!

Last edited:
are you agreeing w/ him, or saying you want winter soldier?

I agree with his point that Winter Soldier "was a bad idea well executed." I do not want Winter Soldier in a Cap/Avengers film. Were I doing the films, Bucky would die at Red Skull's hands in Captain America, and then in Avengers, working past the survivors' guilt would be part of Cap's character arc.

I agree with his point that Winter Soldier "was a bad idea well executed." I do not want Winter Soldier in a Cap/Avengers film. Were I doing the films, Bucky would die at Red Skull's hands in Captain America, and then in Avengers, working past the survivors' guilt would be part of Cap's character arc.

but you'd @least make him die in the 40's? right? (i don't want bucky in "bucky form" in present day)

Im a big fan of the brubaker run, my opinion is I would like to see Bucky be his partner, I could even see them explain it off as cap never calls him that initially and gets used to him. I would like to see the winter soldier featured in a sequel. Actually I would love to see the Death of Cap on screen down the road just because I think bucky is proving to be a pretty good cap now.

Another Idea I noticed is how popular spinoffs are getting talk about spinoffs here and spinoffs there, why not kill bucky off in the captain america movie, but I could see them spinning his character off into its own winter soldier movie with maybe a cap cameo in it.

Last edited:
If the creator of this movie has the gall to include Bucky and make him work....
Then by all means all anti-Robin commentary should stop....
Seriously, they are the same and don't give me the Bucky has training BS....
Both were young teens when first introduced and had been given training by their mentors. Both are equally realistic... it's all fiction....

If you say they will make Bucky older then the same can be applied to Robin...

It's unfortunate that Nolan made you think you were watching a crime drama rather than a Batman movie because he's just that good...

Problem is that either would be fine(I prefer the latter version myself though) but they need to choose since it's virtually impossible to tweak it and incorperate them both.

Agreed.

Well, by that logic, why do a Capatin America movie at all?

I mean, hey; just because Captain America worked in the comics "thanks to good writing" and all, doesnt mean it will work as a movie....right? :yay:

If the creator of this movie has the gall to include Bucky and make him work....
Then by all means all anti-Robin commentary should stop....
Seriously, they are the same and don't give me the Bucky has training BS....
Both were young teens when first introduced and had been given training by their mentors. Both are equally realistic... it's all fiction....

If you say they will make Bucky older then the same can be applied to Robin...

It's unfortunate that Nolan made you think you were watching a crime drama rather than a Batman movie because he's just that good...

I disagree making Bucky older 18 19 doesnt really cange the character making Robin older fundementally changes him Bruce Wayne adopts Dick Grayson why would he need to adopt an adult. One of the dumbest things in Batman forever is that Bruce Wayne takes in a clearly mid 20's Chris odonnell

Yea, I'm not against Robin in the Nolan-verse I don't think it is ridiculous or unrealistic, but I think they can wait a looooong time. I actually like Robin, but I just think Batman should go forward and grow more before he even considers taking in a ward, let alone training him to be an ally. Also no, biiiiiig no to making him older. I agree with jab about B:forever, that was just weird. Aging him would make things weird and I personally think it would make the meshing together odd.

About Winter Soldier, I said I support it, but I'd really wait for a later sequel, I don't want him brought back too early personally.

Yea, I'm not against Robin in the Nolan-verse I don't think it is ridiculous or unrealistic, but I think they can wait a looooong time. I actually like Robin, but I just think Batman should go forward and grow more before he even considers taking in a ward, let alone training him to be an ally. Also no, biiiiiig no to making him older. I agree with jab about B:forever, that was just weird. Aging him would make things weird and I personally think it would make the meshing together odd.

About Winter Soldier, I said I support it, but I'd really wait for a later sequel, I don't want him brought back too early personally.

Well, by that logic, why do a Capatin America movie at all?

I mean, hey; just because Captain America worked in the comics "thanks to good writing" and all, doesnt mean it will work as a movie....right? :yay:
The difference is that I don't consider Captain America in itself to be an inherently bad idea. As a basic idea "let's bring back Bucky as even though being a fondly remembered fallen comrade of Cap is the one thing that made Bucky special in the first place" doesn't sound promising. It could have easily ended up sucking. I mean, for all I know the Spider-Man issues where DocOck tries to marry Aunt May were entertaining, well-written ones, but I'm quite content without seeing that particular storyline in the movies.

Last edited:

I sort of agree with you that bringing people back is never really a good idea. But I think it may actually work better in the movie than comics. Because in the movie you have the luxury of knowing that he is coming back when you kill him. So there are no retcons involved like in the comics, you dont have to go back and set it up that he was a bad ass, you make him a bad ass right off the bat. If winter soldier did appear in a later movie I wouldnt want it to be for a while put him in a third Cap movie that would be the fourth movie Cap appeared in by then And would be at least 6 years since we have seen Bucky. Allowing who ever plays him to get older, and allowing the impact of his death to set in thus making his return as a villain more powerful

I was thinking that they could connect Winter Soldier with Black Widow. Seeing as how WS was acquainted with her when he was brainwashed and working for the Soviets. Have a scene where you see him monitoring a mission the Avengers are on to keep an eye on Black Widow. But they never actually meet him.

Or maybe even show an after the credits scene in the Cap movie with some Soviets finding Bucky's body.

I love the emotion of Cap's reunion with aging Bucky in The Ultimates. Powerful stuff.

Young Bucky - Kyle Gallner (Veronica Mars, The Haunting In Connecticut, Danika)
9447694.jpg

Old Bucky -Hal Holbrook (Into The Wild, Wall Street, Men of Honor)
hal_holbrook_1747184.jpg

Young Gale - Keri Russell (Waitress, Mission Impossible III, August Rush)
keri-russell-400ds0828.jpg

Old Gale - Vanessa Redgrave (Evening, Deep Impact, Venus)
vanessa-redgrave.jpg

I would really prefer they go the 616 route. I think it would be awesome to see Winter Soldier in a sequel.

Kyle Galanar looks like he would make a great Bucky... the real question is WHO WILL BUCKY THE KEPTIN... who will help provide the necessary Bucky support to the Captain America when he has to fight especially when fighting enemies afronting him and assaulting him.

There must be a cavalier galavant man who can play the Bucky, do the Bucky, BE the Bucky and not Buck the character into side alignment but be of necessary incredible supporting structure to the Captain's role and fighting. The Bucky is young, fresh and meant to be a pivotal cup in which the Captain can heal from should there be any necessary injuries he sustains in his fights in the film, The Bucky is always there to provide the necessary Bucked help... for if they do not bucky each other for support how will their growth revel in true glory especially when this character if in the script dies and the Captain now Keptin becomes left all alone as he is a man frozen in time... ilaanejaazebad...

My own cast to buck this role would be Peter Johnsons, James Williams jr, Monty Walsh Wellings...

why not go for Anton Yelchin

antonyelchinterminatorsa.jpg

he is only 20

Last edited:
Bucky is a very slippery slope.

One one hand, if you the Ultimate route, there is great potential there for Cap to be able to relate to someone in the modern world. He feels alone and out of place, and the elderly Bucky Barnes is the one person who Steve can just sit and relax with.

On the other hand, following the 616 route makes for GREAT storytelling. Cap watches his partner seemingly die before his eyes while he is spared, only to be woken up years later, completely alone. This also opens the gates for the Winter Soldier storyline (which I happen to LOVE) to be used in a future Cap sequel. Let's be honest, audiences love seeing a character from the past come back, or a once good man turned evil. It works every time.

So, as you can see, there are really two possible options. Personally, I'd go with the 616 version, but I would not hold it against them to go the Ultimate route.

one thing I don't get is why they haven't looked at some of the actors I've suggested... Hugh Billings and Parkins Masterson are also two fantastic potential candidates for the role to BUCKY THINGS UP with the CAP ala Jan Michael Vincent...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"