The Curious Case of Spider-Man & Hulk Rights (Or Keep Hope Alive That the Rights Will Revert)

Not sure I buy this just yet. Hopefully it gets announced soon if its true. There were some leaks a couple days ago from marketresearch that said a deal had been reached but the tweets and articles were quickly deleted maybe it wasn't quite official yet.

Hope this is true :up:

This doesn’t guarantee that the Sony/Marvel deal will remain after Far From Home but I think it looks promising for the future of the deal.

Fingers crossed.

That literally has no bearings whether a deal is or isn't achieved. But good to cross your fingers nonetheless.

Hope this is true :up:

That points to a source which is a random tweet from someone who erroneously says Comcast owns 40% of Hulu. While I think a deal for Hulu (and maybe outstanding Marvel rights) is imminent I wouldn't get my hopes up until someone more credible says something.

Reactions: MbJ
Disney is getting full control of Hulu with the possibility of buying the remaining stake Comcast owns in 5 years.

No words on any Marvel rights which means it probably wasn't included. The dream is dead.

If it was just for Hulu control, there'd be no reason for the Marvel rights to be involved in the first place.

An interesting part of the deal is that Kabletown has the right to cancel its Hulu licensing agreements with Hulu as early as 2022. Which is the same year the Fox licensing deal with HBO ends.

I don't love this deal for Hulu - going from four owners providing content down to one is not great for a streamer that was built on TV. But the likely addition of new Fox films helps. And the bundle could be a big deal, especially if there are significant savings for customers who buy the Disney+/Hulu/ESPN+ package.

I already have Hulu and was getting Disney+, so I am a likely candidate to bundle at that point.

I guess asking for the Universal Marvel rights probably could have put strain on the negotiation with Comcast since it was a miracle Comcast even agreed to this deal.

So Marvel didn't even bother with the Hulk and Namor rights from Universal? But all it seems is that it was a straight up acquisition of Hulu rights from Comcast, so there was no trade involved. But then if Comcast were prepared to sell Hulu rights, why not also Marvel rights?

So Marvel didn't even bother with the Hulk and Namor rights from Universal? But all it seems is that it was a straight up acquisition of Hulu rights from Comcast, so there was no trade involved. But then if Comcast were prepared to sell Hulu rights, why not also Marvel rights?

Posted this in another thread, I'll copy and paste here:

No one ever asks Iger about any of the Marvel rights. I remember analysts saying those licenses being tied to other studios meant Disney overpaid for Marvel, but after Marvel Studios did what they did no one asks anymore. Disney bought Paramount out of their rights out of nowhere (including future Indy movies). NathansonMoffet had a curve ball to ask Iger about any rights, including Hulk, Spidey, etc during the call yesterday and he didn't even care to ask. Those are something us nerds like to talk about but not something the street cares about. The only time I heard someone ask about any Marvel rights was during a shareholder call (where anyone with even 1 share can attend) asked Iger about the Orlando theme park rights some 4-5 years ago and Iger's reply simply was something like, "we haven't had a talk with them about that".

Also, Kevin Feige is doing an AMA tonight. There are a lot of questions regarding Hulk, Namor, Spidey. You can add your question so he knows what the fans want, but I doubt he answers any of them lol

Last edited:
Plus, this isn't Marvel's doing. It's Disney. Not like Feige is going to go up to the executives involved in the deal-making and say "Hey, make sure to ask about Namor and Hulk, too." Disney's looking to grow in the entertainment industry- larger than they already are, anyway. Minor stuff like some character rights probably don't matter to them in the grand scheme of things compared to a grand prize like majority control of Hulu.

So, who wants to post his replies to questions here later, LOL!!!! That is work I know I don't want :oldrazz:

Plus, this isn't Marvel's doing. It's Disney. Not like Feige is going to go up to the executives involved in the deal-making and say "Hey, make sure to ask about Namor and Hulk, too." Disney's looking to grow in the entertainment industry- larger than they already are, anyway. Minor stuff like some character rights probably don't matter to them in the grand scheme of things compared to a grand prize like majority control of Hulu.

Feige definitely has that kind of pull. Russo brothers said it was Feige who went up to Iger and co to ask to get the Spidey deal done. He is the most sought after name in Hollywood right now. If he wants Namor and Hulk - and even Spidey - full rights, he'll definitely ask for them and Iger, Mayer, and the rest of the execs will try to make it happen. I'm just not sure he's asked for them given what he can already do and how his sandbox has doubled after 21CF acquisition.

Feige definitely has that kind of pull. Russo brothers said it was Feige who went up to Iger and co to ask to get the Spidey deal done. He is the most sought after name in Hollywood right now. If he wants Namor and Hulk - and even Spidey - full rights, he'll definitely ask for them and Iger, Mayer, and the rest of the execs will try to make it happen. I'm just not sure he's asked for them given what he can already do and how his sandbox has doubled after 21CF acquisition.

Yea plus they can already use Hulk. Namor is more a nice to have. Spider-Man is probably at the top of the agenda right now re character rights.

So, who wants to post his replies to questions here later, LOL!!!! That is work I know I don't want :oldrazz:

I've never used Redditt before, so don't know how. Plus I'm not going to register an account there just for that.

Feige or Spidey is the most sought after name?

Yea plus they can already use Hulk. Namor is more a nice to have. Spider-Man is probably at the top of the agenda right now re character rights.

I doubt that. Now more than ever, Sony understands perfectly well the value of Spider-Man. They'd be insane to give up those rights almost regardless of the price. Or, if there is a price they'd actually accept, Disney would probably be insane to pay it.

I posted a Fantastic Four related question on that Reddit, even though there is a 0% chance Feige is going to answer or even respond to that question, lol.

I posted a Fantastic Four related question on that Reddit, even though there is a 0% chance Feige is going to answer or even respond to that question, lol.

If they were all only FF or X-Men related questions, he'd have to answer one of them otherwise he wouldn't answer anything.

The only info of note I've seen posted is that Feige confirmed plans for the REAL Mandarin and the reappearance of the 10 Rings terrorist organization. Lots of folks have been speculating that Mandy would be Shang-Chi's papa.

The only info of note I've seen posted is that Feige confirmed plans for the REAL Mandarin and the reappearance of the 10 Rings terrorist organization. Lots of folks have been speculating that Mandy would be Shang-Chi's papa.

Why couldn't they have brought back the real Mandarin for Iron Man? He is his arch enemy in the comics. It's a bit late for that now.

We're still talking about The Mandarin? Yeah, does seem unnecessary at this point unless, I don't know, you want to make him the antagonist of someone else's film.

Why couldn't they have brought back the real Mandarin for Iron Man? He is his arch enemy in the comics. It's a bit late for that now.
Yeah, there's no point. The boat has been missed. I like Iron Man 3 enough but y'all knew what you were doing then, don't try to do it now.

All the reasons why the "real" Mandarin would have been a bad villain for Iron Man 3, still apply just as much today. Nobody has traveled back in time and made the Mandarin *not* a racist caricature for decades, and nobody has overthrown the Chinese government and replaced it with one which would approve a movie with a specifically Chinese villain fighting and losing to a white dude.

The Mandarin has always been a sucky cariacature-laden character with a lame, preposterous origin story. Iron Man does not have a cool hero-villian rivalry with him like Mr. Fantastic has with Doctor Doom or Batman with the Joker. It’s not a big deal they omitted him from the Iron Man story since he was never much of a villian to begin with.

I don't know much about the comic-book version of the Mandarin, but the Osama Bin Laden type character they showed at the beginning of IM3 was pretty bad ass.

I wouldn't mind seeing more of that character - whether it represents Mandarin from the comics or not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"