The Curious Case of Spider-Man & Hulk Rights (Or Keep Hope Alive That the Rights Will Revert)

:o

We're not really in the age where April fool's jokes can be done without backlash.

I’ve been wondering about the state of the Hulk rights recently as it feels like a Hulk movie would be a logical next step for phase 4. Universal has the distribution rights, but do those expire at any point?

Spider-man’s going to remain at Sony for at least the next decade or so, that much is clear. Here’s to hoping Holland is able to stay involved in the MCU and they eventually introduce Miles once Peters had a few more movies.

I feel like Spider-Man is more important.

Spider-Man I am okay with where he is at. At least we're getting Spider-Man movies and such still in the MCU right now. As long as they extend, he is fine. Hulk is more pressing to me. I want a Hulk sequel. I just do! The Leader has not been seen in the movies since then, and it is a gaping hole to me. Plus, we need more Hulk elements worked into the MCU.

Jesus, how unceremonious, however much I agree with the decision to close it.

I kicked that thread off when reviews finally landed 8/7/15. If The Rebooted Thread is the last thread I'll have ever made here, it would be the perfect thread to have ended on.

Far thee well.

Thank you Spider-Fan.

I'll just think of this as the Reboot, Keep Hope Alive theard 2.0

Spider-Man I am okay with where he is at. At least we're getting Spider-Man movies and such still in the MCU right now. As long as they extend, he is fine. Hulk is more pressing to me. I want a Hulk sequel. I just do! The Leader has not been seen in the movies since then, and it is a gaping hole to me. Plus, we need more Hulk elements worked into the MCU.

Its more the bad spin-offs that Sony keeps green lighting. if they just gave Feige full control and just sat back and let the cash come in it wouldn't be so bad. I don't understand why they dont do that. They probably know that if Feige ever gets spider-man back in full his vision would be better than theirs. lol.

giphy.gif

Its more the bad spin-offs that Sony keeps green lighting. if they just gave Feige full control and just sat back and let the cash come in it wouldn't be so bad. I don't understand why they dont do that. They probably know that if Feige ever gets spider-man back in full his vision would be better than theirs. lol.

I don't care about the spin-offs, honestly. Let them make movies about Morbius and such. We were not getting him in the MCU anytime soon. Carnage likely not either given he is a bit edgier than I am sure Disney/Marvel want. As for why not give them all to Feige, simple: output. Marvel Studios is not making multiple films for Sony a year, and Sony wants to I am sure get to the point where they can do 2-3 movies a year.

Its also a huge oversight on Marvel's part to not secure Spider-Man for a trilogy in the original deal. Along side his Civil War and Avengers appearances. Like how did they miss that.

Its also a huge oversight on Marvel's part to not secure Spider-Man for a trilogy in the original deal. Along side his Civil War and Avengers appearances. Like how did they miss that.

It's not an issue of "missing" anything. Sony probably just would only agree to 5 movies at that point in time.

Considering how acclaimed Tim Blake Nelson has gotten since he played him in TIH I'd want him back on board.

It's not an issue of "missing" anything. Sony probably just would only agree to 5 movies at that point in time.

That would be such a Sony thing to do. I can just imagine them being that petty to not give a 6 picture deal. Thinking it would give them some leverage when it came to re-upping the deal. When really it probably gives Marvel & Disney more leverage.

That would be such a Sony thing to do. I can just imagine them being that petty to not give a 6 picture deal. Thinking it would give them some leverage when it came to re-upping the deal. When really it probably gives Marvel & Disney more leverage.

It's probably less Sony didn't want to commit to 6 movies immediately and more they wanted to be able to get Spider-Man back for their own movies without waiting until after 2021 if this arrangement no longer was what they wanted. With the way it was structured, they only missed him for 2016-2019...aka 4 years. I don't blame Sony for wanting options. But that said, I certainly hope they extend it at least for 1 more movie.

If I was Sony id be more concerned about Disney just straight up offering to buy Sony pictures. Given the DOJ seemed to approve the Fox purchase without much scrutiny I reckon a purchase of Sony pictures would probably go through.

I’ve been wondering about the state of the Hulk rights recently as it feels like a Hulk movie would be a logical next step for phase 4. Universal has the distribution rights, but do those expire at any point?

Spider-man’s going to remain at Sony for at least the next decade or so, that much is clear. Here’s to hoping Holland is able to stay involved in the MCU and they eventually introduce Miles once Peters had a few more movies.

No. I posted in the old thread. Universal got those in perpetuity when they lent the money to Marvel circa 2006.

Avengers IP, Assemble: the wild, circuitous path to Marvel getting its own brands back

Maisel managed to raise $525 million — a majority from Merrill Lynch, with additional support from Paramount and Universal in exchange for distribution rights — to make 10 films, capped at a budget of $165 million each with a PG-13 requirement, based on what were then considered “second-tier superheroes, who may not resonate with younger moviegoers.”

Paramount Pictures will market and distribute the movies, for a fee. (Universal Pictures, which made 2003’s “Hulk” by the director Ang Lee but sold back the rights to Marvel after its poor box-office performance, will handle that sequel.)

The financial model seems unusually favorable. Because most of the financing raised by Merrill Lynch (the $465 million revolving credit facility) is insured by Ambac Assurance, Marvel is not liable to repay its senior creditors if the movies tank. The Ambac deal uses the comic characters as collateral and thus requires no capital outlay by Marvel.

If I was Sony id be more concerned about Disney just straight up offering to buy Sony pictures. Given the DOJ seemed to approve the Fox purchase without much scrutiny I reckon a purchase of Sony pictures would probably go through.

Not true at all. Disney would not be able to afford it after buying Fox, and even if they could, the DOJ would not be cool with them buying 2 major studios. That would certainly come under scrutiny and get kabashed.

the DOJ would not be cool with them buying 2 major studios. That would certainly come under scrutiny and get kabashed.

Maybe the next DOJ but the current DOJ seems to love mergers.

I just hope that if the Leader ever shows up, they don't bring Tim Blake Nelson back. That dude felt seriously miscast.

Maybe the next DOJ but the current DOJ seems to love mergers.

Again, that would be 2 major studios purchases by 1 entity. When the number of major studios is now down to like 5, that's not a small thing. It would never be approved. I don't care "how much they love mergers" and also Disney cannot spend another 50+ billion to do that. They need to alleviate their current debt before ever even considering this notion and that is not going to happen over night.

I just hope that if the Leader ever shows up, they don't bring Tim Blake Nelson back. That dude felt seriously miscast.

Since he would be mutated at this point, he basically can be played by anyone, lol

Since he would be mutated at this point, he basically can be played by anyone, lol

Agreed. But should they go with the elongated forehead look with hair, or the hemorrhoid covered butthead look? lol

Again, that would be 2 major studios purchases by 1 entity. When the number of major studios is now down to like 5, that's not a small thing. It would never be approved. I don't care "how much they love mergers" and also Disney cannot spend another 50+ billion to do that. They need to alleviate their current debt before ever even considering this notion and that is not going to happen over night.

I dont think Sony pictures would cost $50m. But give it a few years and Sony will have the money. They pulled in $60 billion in revenue in 2018 alone. I reckon before Iger retires he will get the spider-man rights back for Feige one way or another. Whether Disney acquires Sony pictures or just a purchase of the rights themselves. Maybe Apple does buy Sony and Iger uses his connections on the Apple board to setup a deal for Spider-Man.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"