• We experienced a brief downtime due to a Xenforo server configuration update. This was an attempt to limit bot traffic. They have rolled back and the site is now operating normally. Apologies for the inconvinience.

The Curious Case of Spider-Man & Hulk Rights (Or Keep Hope Alive That the Rights Will Revert)

I dont think Sony pictures would cost $50m. But give it a few years and Sony will have the money. They pulled in $60 billion in revenue in 2018 alone. I reckon before Iger retires he will get the spider-man rights back for Feige one way or another. Whether Disney acquires Sony pictures or just a purchase of the rights themselves. Maybe Apple does buy Sony and Iger uses his connections on the Apple board to setup a deal for Spider-Man.

Purchasing Sony is also not going to cost like $2 bucks either. It's going to be expensive to buy that studio if they tried, and again that makes 2 major studios. That's a red flag. It'd be more likely they get some type of deal going if Apple bought Sony out than Disney buying them. Disney just won't be able to swing that.

Purchasing Sony is also not going to cost like $2 bucks either. It's going to be expensive to buy that studio if they tried, and again that makes 2 major studios. That's a red flag. It'd be more likely they get some type of deal going if Apple bought Sony out than Disney buying them. Disney just won't be able to swing that.

btw when I said Sony I meant Disney lol.

Though Tim Blake Nelson is already a weird looking dude, you wouldn't need to really change that much except give him a mustache and make him green.

I would like the elongated head. Less goofy, LOL

In that case, they should cast Peyton Manning.

Nxe3Q.png

So there was an interview with Feige last year where he said this. I like how he calls it that "Fox thing" lol.

"There are some with a couple of other players involved that would have to be negotiated with. Then, of course, Spider-Man is still with Sony, independent of our agreement to do the films together. But most of them are home now. If that Fox thing happens, yeah, that’ll be the majority."

What do we think the couple of other players are? Namor,Hulk?

At this point aside from Spidey, Namor and Hulk Disney/Marvel owns everything else in the Marvel Comics stable right? No one else owns rights to anything else?

At this point aside from Spidey, Namor and Hulk Disney/Marvel owns everything else in the Marvel Comics stable right? No one else owns rights to anything else?

Yep just those 3. Spider-Man being the biggest of the three.

I'm gonna make a bold prediction Disney will get Spider-Man back in the next 3 years.

I personally would like to see Spidey back at MCU in a full capacity, but at this point I don't know if Sony will ever fully let go. Let's say Venom 2 and Morbius full out flop. Why would they then sell instead of keeping the deal they have with Disney? They still make a ton of money, and they don't do any work. The only thing they're not getting is the Merch rights I think? Which is a lot of $$ lost, but still, I don't know when they'd full on sell all the rights when they have this option.

Now, their eventual failure as a studio, leading to another company buying them? I could see that happening. And in that case, I don't know if the rights would revert back to Marvel or not.

Lets just hope Sony Japan steps in and gets Sony Pictures to renew the deal. The leadership at Sony Japan are the ones who apparently wanted the deal with Marvel to happen they were smart enough to see the franchise needed Marvel's help.

I think it would require the 2 aforementioned flops, plus another hack showing just how stupid they continue to be.

we got the X-Men & Fantastic Four back after decades of bad movies we can bring Spider-Man home.

After Venom's inexplicable box office (with a low budget and bad film), I just can't see Sony's Spiderverse collapsing.

And even if the next couple films struggle at the box office (and after Venom's performance, Venom 2 would seem nearly guaranteed to at least make a profit), I don't think that will kill anything.

In fact, bombs could force Sony to bring Spider-Man in to save the day.

I think our best hope is for Sony to continue sharing Spidey with Marvel and use Miles in the Spiderverse, because I can't imagine Sony giving up any time soon.

Its possible Venom's box office was a fluke because Venom has such a large fan base and there was a lot of hype. I think the film disappointed a lot of people who aren't as vocal and they wont return for the sequel. No one gives a damn about Morbius. Period. Good luck selling that one Sony.

Venom 2 I can see not making as much, but flop? Doubtful. Morbius is a cheaper movie so I am confident it will be profitable.

I'm cautiously optimistic that Sony and Marvel will extend the Spider-Man deal. Maybe something for like two more films: a third solo movie and an appearance in Avengers 5. The current arrangement let's Sony have their cake and eat it too. Long term is diceier but even then I feel like it will ultimately work out given the probability of Sony selling their film division at some point.

I don’t think the brass over in Japan are gonna let the stupidity of Sony ruin the good thing they currently have going, even if Avi Arad throws his hands up in the air like a big baby insisting he can do better than Feige and friends.

The spider-verse stuff will probably continue to be good and successful and so will MCU spidey. The jury is still out on Sony’s whateververse, let’s see how they do with characters that aren’t venom, which I’m still shocked did as good as it did with box office. I definitely think morbius and any other non-venom vehicle flops.

The Spider-Verse movie didn't really make that much money. It was profitable but it didn't even make as much as the lowest grossing live-action movie with Peter Parker.

Oh snap can you guys imagine how much money Spider-Verse would've made if it was in live-action and they had Tobey McGuire make a return as the wall-crawler?

Easy billion dollars right there. I actually think Into the Spider-verse could've worked just fine in live-action. I'm actually tempted to say I would've preferred to see that instead of the MCU reboot.

Well Morbius, is more obscure than Venom if they actually do that Black Cat/ Silver Sable movie it might work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"