The CW Passes on Aquaman

GothicPowerMix1

Superhero
Reaction score
While The CW, the combo of The WB and UPN, won't officially release its 2006-07 primetime schedule until Thursday, Variety has learned that the network has passed on Aquaman:

Meanwhile, the CW's adaptation of "Aquaman," once considered a shoo-in for fall, wound up being sunk.

Developed by Smallville creators Alfred Gough and Miles Millar, the show (aka "Mercy Reef") was to have starred Justin Hartley in the title role as well as Denise Quiñones and Ving Rhames.

http://www.superherohype.com/news.php?id=4257

The Incredible Hulk said:
saw the Pilot and it was bad, huh?

No, I know the history of the creator's and their past work. Going by that, of course I'm not surprised.

Milkman95 said:
No, I know the history of the creator's and their past work. Going by that, of course I'm not surprised.

you mean the guys who have a 6 year running show that the most watched on it's Network, wrote the highly successful Spider-man 2, and produced two other movies that more than doubled their production budget in revenue? Those guys? That would sort of seem counter-intuitive, no?

saw the Pilot and it was bad, huh?

I actually read it was really good. Maybe they just didn't want to take on two high cost superhero shows?

I wonder how long it is before the Pilot gets Leaked Online.

you mean the guys who have a 6 year running show that the most watched on it's Network, wrote the highly successful Spider-man 2, and produced two other movies that more than doubled their production budget in revenue? Those guys? That would sort of seem counter-intuitive, no?

No, the guys that have had a steady decrease in the quality of their #1 show, had to have their work re-written by both Michael Chabon and Alvin Sargent, and recently wasted millions of dollars filming a pilot for a show that will never see any return? Yes, those guys............

KikiDee said:
Maybe they just didn't want to take on two high cost superhero shows?

I would not be surprised if that was the reason & they just decided to wait on this Show until Smallville finishes.

aquaman_lantern.jpg

I wonder why????

Milkman95 said:
No, the guys that have had a steady decrease in the quality of their #1 show, had to have their work re-written by both Michael Chabon and Alvin Sargent, and recently wasted millions of dollars filming a pilot for a show that will never see any return? Yes, those guys............

You mean the show that's gotten better ratings on the most competitive night on TV and will be the flagship show of a brand new Network, the script that was largely there's with a few of the action sequences rewritten due to BUDGETARY constraints, and how does the show not getting picked up reflect their "past work" as you've called it?

Personally, I'm glad, I hope it means they will write a little more for Smallville and be a bigger part of it.:up:

Brainiac 8 said:
Personally, I'm glad, I hope it means they will write a little more for Smallville and be a bigger part of it.:up:

Unashamedly, I'm with you. :up:

I think "celldog" pretty much summed it up with his post above.

thank god, this show was bound to flop after a year if was picked up, but it wasn't, so no prob.

the concept just sounded like the worst idea ever. Kind of like the eco warrior GI Joe show. Sounded stupid to me. Good riddens

Gone with it is the Aquaman forum.

Higher Powers Embroiled in CW Aquatic Scandal

I'm sad that it wasn't picked up (maybe they can still release the pilot on dvd hopefully with a documentary focused on the origins of the character) but at least I hope now Gough and Millar will concentrate more on Smallville and writing more episodes since the ones they did write were some of the best.

BaK said:
Higher Powers Embroiled in CW Aquatic Scandal

LOL!!

Well, my heart isn't exactly broken by Aquadude not getting picked up, although I was planning on watching it.

Any chance of another network picking it up?

You mean the show that's gotten better ratings on the most competitive night on TV and will be the flagship show of a brand new Network, the script that was largely there's with a few of the action sequences rewritten due to BUDGETARY constraints, and how does the show not getting picked up reflect their "past work" as you've called it?

Kick his ass Seabass. :up:

Is there a chance that the PILOT might be an extra on the Smallville Season 5 DVD? Since this season, the DVD, has the episode Aqua. And I think last year they gave a couple of old Flash episodes because of the Flash. Do you think that the PILOT as an eddition to the DVD set will be a possibility?

Milkman95 said:

OUCH! PWNAGE :eek:

OMG another Superman Returns fan bashing Smallville, ive never saw that coming.

You mean the one's that have a top rated show on a poor man's ABC? The creator's of a show that probably doesn't even crack the Top 50? Are you actually trying to compare SV to the likes of other Thursday night shows Without a Trace, CSI, Survivor, and ER? How many viewers does SV bring in again? $6 million tops? If that's the case, SV is below Alias, which drew $6.6m viewers and placed 66th. Great job........:up:

Let's not even discuss the grown-up awards called The Emmy's........

Mercy Reef is now their "past work", isn't it? It was indeed filmed, wasn't it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"