The CW Passes on Aquaman

The Incredible Hulk said:
I think it's his attempt at passive aggressive "humor", one would think he'd be touting Cupcake instead, but you know how that goes.....

Curvy Cupcake.

The Incredible Hulk said:
I think it's his attempt at passive aggressive "humor", one would think he'd be touting Cupcake instead, but you know how that goes.....

Awww....Hulk need hug?

TomWelling001.jpg

Wow, $7 million! Is that comparable to how much Smallville's Pilot episode cost to film? Anyone know?

I know it was expensive, not sure if it was THAT high. There was a lot of CG in the Smallville pilot with the meteor shower, electric boy, etc.

I'd imagine a lot of the expense for Aquaman had more to do with being shot in the water than CG.

I'm glad they dropped it. Most spin-off shows turn out crap anyway. Joey anyone?

tonytr1687 said:
I'm glad they dropped it. Most spin-off shows turn out crap anyway. Joey anyone?
Rhoda, Phyllis, Lou Grant - ALL spun off from the same show...

Yeah, spinoffs are usually duds. :p

Aquadude wasn't really a spin-off per se. The series was merely inspired by an episode of SV. And while both series have the same producers, the cast, setting and character background was different.

I would have still liked to see the show to formulate my own opinion of its quality. The teaser pilot looked pretty good. G&M wrote it, and Nutter directed. It was worth a look see. Oh well.

AgentPat said:
Rhoda, Phyllis, Lou Grant - ALL spun off from the same show...

Yeah, spinoffs are usually duds. :p

Aquadude wasn't really a spin-off per se. The series was merely inspired by an episode of SV. And while both series have the same producers, the cast, setting and character background was different.

I would have still liked to see the show to formulate my own opinion of its quality. The teaser pilot looked pretty good. G&M wrote it, and Nutter directed. It was worth a look see. Oh well.

I thought Greg Beeman was directing it.

avidreader said:
Initially Nutter was set to direct. Did that get changed later?

Either way though, both directors are great.

AgentPat said:
Initially Nutter was set to direct. Did that get changed later?

Either way though, both directors are great.

Too true!

Edit - Never Mind I seem to have been able to save the File myself

avidreader said:
Oh SNAP! My bad. Nutter directed Supernatural's pilot. :rolleyes:

Too many shows to keep track of - they're all getting mixed up in the ole noggen.

I actually like the Bermuda Triangle/Atlantis angle they're using...........

I'm sure this pilot will makes it way on-line or on DVD at some point.........

Milkman95 said:
I actually like the Bermuda Triangle/Atlantis angle they're using...........

I'm sure this pilot will makes it way on-line or on DVD at some point.........
The way Warners is flaunting the trailer now, the skein might interest another cablette. Sci-fi might snoop around the carcass, we shall see.

AgentPat said:
The way Warners is flaunting the trailer now, the skein might interest another cablette. Sci-fi might snoop around the carcass, we shall see.

True, you never know.

I've always had an interest in the Bermuda Triangle - funny how Lou Diamond was in that disappointing mini-series called The Triangle as well.......

Yeah. Hopefully and- I might be wrong. But, sometimes aren't some Pilots "left on the shelf" for a little bit? I know this happens to films. If this is the last season of Smallville- which, I hate to say it but it looks to be going that way, they might be holding off Mercy Reef until Smallville ends. And then launch Mercy Reef, that could be a possibility. Because this pilot definitely was going to be one of the best Pilots just by looking at it. I mean, this looked and felt like it was a trailer for a summer blockbuster film. I might be the only one that was impressed that much- but, I think some Pilots are "left on the shelf"- this might premiere AFTER Smallville is over- to have a guy superhero awesome show again. Well, that's my guess any ways.

Note: I'm a fan of Smallville. But, I mean- it all looks like it's pointing to the final season.

1. Lex is evil (Zod only took over AFTER Lex encountered Clark)
2. Jonathon Kent is dead
3. CK will most likely come back with flight
4. Alot more hints to Lois and Clark's relationship
5. CK fighting the enemies of Krypton, ie. Accepting his past and acting on it. Fighting those who destroyed Krypton.

I mean, all that's missing is the suit. So, with possibly only one year left- unfortunately- this might be why. "Hold off on Aquaman until we finish Smallville, then have Aquaman take the place." It would be a smooth transition and not many super powered shows at once. Because this PILOT looks like it's up to even ABC level. Just the effects and everything- one word- wow.

Add to it the fact that the trailer just released, when CW "passed" on it? I mean, that's definitely showing a sign that it might just be 'on the shelf'

Triligors said:
Yeah. Hopefully and- I might be wrong. But, sometimes aren't some Pilots "left on the shelf" for a little bit? I know this happens to films. If this is the last season of Smallville- which, I hate to say it but it looks to be going that way, they might be holding off Mercy Reef until Smallville ends. And then launch Mercy Reef, that could be a possibility. Because this pilot definitely was going to be one of the best Pilots just by looking at it. I mean, this looked and felt like it was a trailer for a summer blockbuster film. I might be the only one that was impressed that much- but, I think some Pilots are "left on the shelf"- this might premiere AFTER Smallville is over- to have a guy superhero awesome show again. Well, that's my guess any ways.
They'd have to recast most if not all of the characters. When a show isn't picked up, the actors are down the road looking for other work. Same with films - a holding contract will only hold talent for so long.

Whoa. They're using Batman Begins score.
Just like Vendetta and Kong.

And that sounds a heck of a lot like Annette O'Toole narrating, huh?

I just don't think they would released the trailer for the Pilot AFTER CW passed on it, without having hopes for it in the future. The special effects, to me at least, looked really better than some of the effects on Smallville actually. I just don't think they would "toss it away" easily without getting a fan reaction. Which might be the purpose of the trailer. Next the Pilot, if not intended, will be leaked- and then that will show more possibility. Just saying, nothing is ever a 'done deal' in Hollywood (and TV).

And only show 'recasting' would be necessary and this is done all the time. Alot of the Back To the Future film was already completed, but then the major role- McFly was recast! I mean that's MAJOR. And then I'm pretty sure the same happened to Smallville, in which Martha Kent was originally played by a different actress and then they had to go back and reshoot the scenes with Martha Kent.

So, all in all, I think that if there is a "we'll hold off on this, probably next year" Hartley, or at least I (if I was Hartley), would wait a little bit to see what happens. I mean, superhero role? That would be an awesome opportunity. Then the villain, who I am assuming is the Siren, is already shot for the most part. Wouldn't need to change that. Also some of the scenes wouldn't necessarily have to be re-shot: ex: The first scene of the X-Men between Xavier and Magneato was not completely filled at the same time. McKellan came in later, after the scene was shot, for a close up- with the background being a back drop.

In other words, this happens all the time. As long as Hartley is in, the show would still technically be in the loop- more or less.

Ha-ha, werent they going to premiere this with SR?

Darthphere said:
Ha-ha, werent they going to premiere this with SR?

Huh :confused: Premiere what with Superman Returns ? The Aquaman Trailer ?

Yeah- they were. And if they did, I can guarantee- lots of viewers. I mean seems like since it came out alot of 'this will be horrible' posters finally saw the potential. I mean, this trailer was REALLY well done and some would probably ask "Is that going to be a movie?... Sweet."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"