The Dark Knight The Dark Knight: A Twisted Killing Joke?

Oh, certainly. It's by Ed Brubaker, one of the best writers working in comics - aside from this, some of his other Batman work includes his seminal runs on "Catwoman" and "Gotham Central," where you can find "Soft Targets," which is probably the best arc of the series, and another Joker story. Really, Brubaker's probably got the best handle on the character that we've seen since Alan Moore.

:o
Ah, I see. I know my comic book shop has a copy of The Man Who Laughs right now. I'll have to go pick it up. :) Thanks.

Just recently read "The Killing Joke"...And thought it was really good! Like at the end of it...I would love to see some more craziness in Batman's and Joker's relationship!

I was actually surprised at how close the characterization was to the Joker in The man who laughs. Of course alot of the Killing Joke was in there, as they said it was a pretty direct inspiration, but however intentional (or unintentional) it was, I found the Joker to be almost exactly like the one in The Man Who Laughs. Just the way he uses intelligence to orchestrate his crimes & the way he broadcasts his next moves, while at the same time doing it in a fashion that throws everyone off, it was all very much there from the first Joker appearance way back from the start, but they updated it nicely for this book.

Ah, I see. I know my comic book shop has a copy of The Man Who Laughs right now. I'll have to go pick it up. :) Thanks.

ben-stiller-picture-3.jpg

Do it.

yeah I seen alot of Batman #1 and The Man Who Laughs. but TMWL is pretty much the same as Batman #1 so...

Whoa, the this was the craziest film I've seen in a Looooong while.

The Joker was A+++++++

Yes, these themes of the Joker are repeated in alot of his stories. But the look and feel to his character is a throwback to the more serious version of the character as seen in Batman #1 and the Batman #1 re-make The Man Who Laughs. The tone to which the way Joker acts in those stories is totally captured. In TMWL his 1st exposure to the people of Gotham on the tv is similar to the "terrorist video" seen on the news station in The Dark Knight. Joker's use of disguise, killing the commissioner / captain of the police, etc. Direct scenes aren't ripped from the comic per se, but there is definetely heavy inspiration. Batman # 1 / The Man Who Laughs had the strongest influence on the presentation of this character. It had elements of The Killing Joke, but he was much more Batman #1 / The Man Who Laughs.
Ya, I noticed all of those and the Joker as a policemen. It definitely had the biggest influence on the film imo.

Joker's goal wasn't to make Batman look bad (he was doing a fine job of that before Dent died and he took the blame for his actions). It was to get Batman to become like the Joker, and he also failed at that. When he was saying Batman had to reveal himself and turn himself in, people hated him. He already looked bad to the public. Remember, the Joker says to Batman he really was incorruptable (which shows Joker's goal all along for Batman...corrupt him)
Well, to me the Joker's goal was to have Batman kill somebody, which he does (Harvey). So imo the score's all even at 1-1, because Joker was unable to destroy Gotham's soul, but he did get Batman to kill.

Well, to me the Joker's goal was to have Batman kill somebody, which he does (Harvey). So imo the score's all even at 1-1, because Joker was unable to destroy Gotham's soul, but he did get Batman to kill.

I count Harvey's death as an accident. Wasn't Batman's fault.

Just the way he uses intelligence to orchestrate his crimes & the way he broadcasts his next moves, while at the same time doing it in a fashion that throws everyone off, it was all very much there from the first Joker appearance way back from the start, but they updated it nicely for this book.

Once again...this is just what The Joker DOES.

Once again...this is just what The Joker DOES.

Not all the time, the Joker's had many different interpretations and a whole lot of them weren't intelligent or threatening at all. It's these books that helped shape his characterization in the first place. It wouldnt be "what he does" if they didn't define his character in books like these. He does it because they wrote and illustrated him doing it, you act like they could've just pulled any book out and his character would be the same, lol, I dare you to pull up some of those Joker stories before Dennis Oneil touched him, see what kind of movie you would come up with using that...

Furthermore why are you so adamant about TDK not having any influence from specific books, when the people that made the movie in the first place say which books they looked at for inspiration?

Not all the time, the Joker's had many different interpretations and a whole lot of them weren't intelligent or threatening at all.

Umm...ok. Much as I'd like to pretend that Joker's schemes don't usually involve some form of intelligent planning...

Not sure what you're on about with the whole "threat" thing. He's always been a threat in some form, be it to people or financial institutions.

It's these books that helped shape his characterization in the first place. It wouldnt be "what he does" if they didn't define his character in books like these.

Thing is, the state of logic around here right now is "Hells bells, Batman did some detective work in THE LONG HALLOWEEN and he does some in THE DARK KNIGHT! They pulled it right from THE LONG HALLOWEEN!"

He does it because they wrote and illustrated him doing it, you act like they could've just pulled any book out and his character would be the same, lol, I dare you to pull up some of those Joker stories before Dennis Oneil touched him, see what kind of movie you would come up with using that...

I'm sorry...you're asking me to pull a completely different era out and...pretend it never existed and...what now?

Furthermore why are you so adamant about TDK not having any influence from specific books, when the people that made the movie in the first place say which books they looked at for inspiration?

I didn't say there's no influence from specific sources, and I've pointed out the obvious ones. The fact that they drew their ideas from specific places is obvious, but people's reasoming for this inspiration is absurd.

"The Joker appears on TV. That totally happened in THE MAN WHO LAUGHS, they took that from THE MAN WHO LAUGHS".

Yeah. And about 500 other issues to boot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
japanorsomewher
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"