The Dark Knight Rises vs Joker

Neil McCauley

Civilian
Reaction score

Both divisive entries but starting to get appreciated, I see barely hate from TDKR except in one site. Anyways, which one do you prefer? I think Joker was a great movie, but TDKR was more complete and a satisfying experience.

TDKR a flawed film, but one with a grand vision and it brings a satisfying conclusion to Bruce Wayne's story.

Joker, didn't really work for me. I realise I'm out of step with every critic and most of the fans, but after seeing it I kind of wish I hadn't.

Anyway, TDKR gets my vote.

Joker did a lot right on the surface, and it was very affecting at times, but overall I found it lacking in substance and intelligence despite how much Philips tried.

TDKR, despite some more obvious flaws, felt like an overall richer and satisfying experience to me.

Joker is a fun homage to Scorsese with beautiful cinematography and a stellar central performance but while TDKR's screenplay is a bit messy it isn't blandly underwritten and derivative like Joker's. Plus, Fleck is a good well developed character but Bruce's story in TDKR is a lot more compelling and emotionally resonant to me.

Tdkr pretty easily. Joker has a great performance but everything else is kinda secondary to it. I’ll give joker a point though for finally proving oscars and awards don’t matter. With the reception joker had compared to rises and the awards it got it’s seriously just a money and campaign game not actually about the movies. So thank you joker for that and also for joaquins fantastic portrayal

Really enjoyed Joker, but definitely The Dark Knight Rises.

There is a theme of identity in both films, a view of the impact of society on us, our self and our personal objectifying of the standing within society, Nolan enables a Tale of Two Cities and the Joker, directly from Taxi Driver & The King of Comedy.

I don't hugely like either film in all honesty, both hugely flawed and think themselves grander and 'better' of themselves than they actually are, like TDK and Begins before it, TDKR has a brilliant ending speech, filled with emotion and the consequences of the film built from the previous two, so you have that investment over The Joker to begin with. The Joker isn't really a Joker film, its the inevitability of suffering mental health and not being heard within the 'system', the stem of the concept of who The Joker is, yes, it's present but it's a contemporary setting with little else to 'show' aside from that central concept.

Not even close for me. Joker

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"