The Dark Knight Rises vs The Avengers

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLobo

Civilian
Reaction score
Since there is a poll regarding The Dark Knight vs The Avengers, i think it also makes sanse to create one for TDKR vs The Avengers, since they both came out on the same year.

Story: TDKR

Acting: TDKR

Cinematography: TDKR

Editing: TDKR

Action/SE: The Avengers

Soundtrack: TDKR

Characters: Draw

TKDR: 8.5/10

The Avengers: 7/10

Story: Both films had a good solid story, Avengers tells it's story better, since it has less plot threads to balance. I probably prefer the story The Dark Knight Rises tells, even if I would have preferred to see more or less of a few different things in the film. I was leaning towards a draw but I will give this to TDKR.

Acting: I loved seeing the Avengers interact with each other, and the actors did a great job of portraying these larger than life personas in a consistent way from their previous performances. I got the feeling a few returning actors in TDKR might have felt a little burnt out. The acting is well done across both movies, this would be a draw for me.

Cinematography: The Dark Knight Rises, I love so many shots from that movie.

Editing: Avengers is paced better in my opinion. Has a better flow.

Action: The first fight with Bane is the best out of the entire DKtrilogy, the second fight is cool but could've been better. The Avengers has all the best action scenes in comic-book-moviedom, only the Spider-Man films come even close.

Soundtrack: I can't even recall much music from the Avengers, this easily goes to TDKR.

Characters: Avengers.

Which makes the movies tied equally for me.

The movie Avengers should be compared to is Batman Begins, because they are both origin films. But Avengers would kick that movie up and down the block so that never comes up in polls. But the brilliance of Avengers is that it picks up these characters from their solo films, in a way that watching their solo films isn't nessecary prior to watching Avengers. If you did follow the other movies it just adds to the experience of the film. It is a continuation of the Marvel universe, but it is the origin story of the team, and its own franchise. And when we get to Avengers 2, we will have several movies in between the two that have pushed the characters into different places. So the team will have a much different dynamic than the last time we saw them.

Last edited:
Editing: TA
Action: TA
Characters: TDKR

The Dark Knight Rises: 10/10
The Avengers: 8/10

I actually enjoyed Avengers more that year. Rises was a huge disappointment and still is. Rises has the better story but is badly executed, Avengers has the weaker story but is perfectly executed.

Editing: The Avengers

Action/SE: The Avengers

Characters: TDKR

TKDR: 9/10

The Avengers: 8/10

I'd give every category to Rises myself so I won't bother writing them all out. Avengers just didn't impress me on any level and I find it a chore to sit through.

The Dark Knight Rises: 10/10
The Avengers: 4.5/10

Dialogue: Avengers

Acting: Tie

Editing: Tie

Action: Avengers

Characters: Avengers

Both 8/10 movies. Slight edge to TDKR because the first 10 minutes of Avengers is kind of annoying. Rest of the movie is very entertaining.

I personally prefer TDKR, although I would probably say Avengers had less issues as a whole. While this isn't a knock against either at all, I think TDKR is better as a film, but TA is a better movie. Also, as good as Silvestri's score was, I think Zimmer's TDKR score is a revelation.

personally prefer TDKR, although I would probably say Avengers had less issues as a whole.

Does The Avengers really has less issues, or because the expectations weren´t so high, people don´t really bother pointing them out or even thinking about them?

I think that, if you make an effort, you can find as many things to complain about in TA as in TDKR.

Personaly, i don´t feel TDKR has really that many issues. It has some decisions that some comic book fans didn´t agree with, like the way Blake discovered Batman´s identity. And it also has things that weren´t explained, and some people felt that, because they weren´t explained, they represent plot holes, like how was Bruce able to get back into Gotham.

Real plot holes exist in every single movie, including TDKR, but i feel most of the complaints are really not that well justified and represent nothing more than personal preferences.

Blake's way of discovering Bruce is really bad, but its no worse than Loki's throw away line about Odin's way of getting Thor to earth, which destroys all the tension from the end of the first Thor film. Both of those things are laughably bad. Gordon sending every flippin' cop in to the sewers to 'smoke out' one guy is pretty absurd. Selvig's fail-safe that saves the day is equally weak writing. Both of these films have flimsy moments in their plots. This is a tougher choice than TDK vs TA for me. At the end of the day however, TDKR is just better in every category IMO. Both are extremely entertaining, yet flawed films to me.

TDKRises was tedious to me and THE AVENGERS is just GLORIOUS. There's no competition to my eyes. AVENGERS by several magnitudes.

Blake's way of discovering Bruce is really bad, but its no worse than Loki's throw away line about Odin's way of getting Thor to earth, which destroys all the tension from the end of the first Thor film. Both of those things are laughably bad. Gordon sending every flippin' cop in to the sewers to 'smoke out' one guy is pretty absurd. Selvig's fail-safe that saves the day is equally weak writing. Both of these films have flimsy moments in their plots. This is a tougher choice than TDK vs TA for me. At the end of the day however, TDKR is just better in every category IMO. Both are extremely entertaining, yet flawed films to me.

I agree that sending out the entire police was a little stupid, even though at that point it wasn´t just about smoking out one simple guy. Things were getting ugly and Gordon knew it.

I´m also not a fan of the whole Blake thing, but i can perfectly understand why Nolan chose to do it that way. Being Batman a great detective, and being Blake the guy who supposedly ends up taking his place, that scene serves the purpose of showing that there´s something very special about Blake. He is no ordinary guy, hence being able to discover Bruce´s secret that way.

Kids used to make up stories about Bruce being Batman. Blake simply took them more seriously than the rest of the kids. Nothing that absurd about it. Plus, he didn´t know who Batman was. He believed he knew. Sometimes people create certain beliefs about certain things. Many times they´re wrong, but not always.

Plus, we can easily assume that he draw that conclusion from further investigation about Bruce´s life. He certainly had a lot of time to think about that possibility and put two and two together. Young rich guy, well built, shady past, etc...it´s actually not that difficult to create suspicions about Bruce Wayne.

Last edited:
Rises had too many technical flaws and moments of stupidity. The whole thing about how Blake figured out who Batman was is terrible. As is the idea of sending the entire police force into the sewers (who then emerge months later clean shaven and fighting fit). Action scenes were not filmed or edited very well. Especially the riot/battle at the end with people just mysteriously falling over lol. It also had a terrible performance by Matthew Modine and one of the worst death scenes in cinematic history. Plus this just isn't who Batman is to me. Batman that i've read for 20 odd years wouldn't be looking for a way out. He's obsessed with being Batman, that is all he lives for. I get that Nolan and co were trying to do something different and have an ending to the story of Bruce Wayne. But still, this isn't the Batman i've always wanted to see on the big screen.

It did have some great performances, especially Tom Hardy as Bane and overall the story was more engaging than Avengers.

Avengers though was technically pretty much flawless. No huge leaps in logic or plot holes. The editing, dialogue and action scenes were spot on. No stand out terrible performances. A really balanced script where the four leads all get moments to shine. I think it just executes what it's going for much better than Rises did.

I'd give TDKR a 7 and Avengers a 9.

Avengers though was technically pretty much flawless. No huge leaps in logic or plot holes.

If you think TA didn´t have plot holes and leaps in logic, you weren´t paying much attention. There is plenty of stupidity going on in TA and plenty of stuff you can complain about if you really want to. The Avengers is far from flawless. People, even if just subconsciously, simply don´t take it seriously enough to be paying attention to all it´s flaws. The expectations were never that high, so that makes the movie more tolerable. Besides, it´s a movie about aliens and mutated people. That gives the movie more freedom to be stupid.

Plus, anyone who thinks TA is a 9 or a 10 really needs to watch more movies. TDKR is the best SH movie ever, in my opinion, but i don´t give it a 9. It´s 8.5, at best. And if i wasn´t so emotional about it i would probably just give it a 7.5 or 8.

For me, I find The Avengers more enjoyable to watch than The Dark Knight Rises.

Avengers was both more entertaining and simply a better, more properly executed movie. TDKR reached for the stars and fell very short in many ways. A frustrating watch from an entertainment standpoint as well; I really find the two to be incomparable with regard to quality.

In other news...is Anno Domini back already?

If you think TA didn´t have plot holes and leaps in logic, you weren´t paying much attention. There is plenty of stupidity going on in TA and plenty of stuff you can complain about if you really want to. The Avengers is far from flawless. People, even if just subconsciously, simply don´t take it seriously enough to be paying attention to all it´s flaws. The expectations were never that high, so that makes the movie more tolerable. Besides, it´s a movie about aliens and mutated people. That gives the movie more freedom to be stupid.

Plus, anyone who thinks TA is a 9 or a 10 really needs to watch more movies. TDKR is the best SH movie ever, in my opinion, but i don´t give it a 9. It´s 8.5, at best. And if i wasn´t so emotional about it i would probably just give it a 7.5 or 8.

I'm not emotional at all. I'm judging the films on their own terms. Taking into account what they are going for. TDKR wants to be more than a traditional summer blockbuster, which is what Avengers is. Avengers is up there with the likes of Jurassic Park and Raiders of the Lost Ark as a summer blockbuster in my eyes.

Rises is aiming a bit higher it falls short in it's execution. Whereas Avengers executes what is going for pretty much perfectly. It's a Michael Bay action extravaganza but done right. With well rounded characters, a simple yet coherent story and is genuinely funny. Like an old school Spielberg film.

Avengers has solid performances all around. Hiddleston and Evans are at their best here I think and Ruffalo is also really good. Evans' Cap really holds the film together because if you can't believe he is Captain America, a lot of the dynamics between the other characters don't work. Rises has the aforementioned Modine performance and I think Cotillard was kinda phoning it in. Hathaway and Hardy were really good though. I know some think Bane's voice is silly but I think it's interesting. He also really had a magnetic screen presence and was quite frightening in some scenes. Shame about the revelation of his character at the end, which disappointed me.

What plot holes are in Avengers? What leaps in logic? Everything that happens works in the rules of the world created. A more fantasy one than the TDK trilogy, which has strange leaps in the worlds logic. Like i said, the reasoning of how Blake knows Bruce is Batman is just horrible in my view. The whole final "war". The way Bruce's back is healed.

The dialogue in Avengers is sharp. It isn't really bloated and everyone has a distinct voice. Some of it in Rises is just awful. For example the scene where Catwoman is trying to steal the clean slate from Dagget. He's explaining what it does to her, yet she must already know. It just sounds kinda unnatural and too exposition heavy. Like Dagget is talking to us the audience rather than Catwoman.

But like i said I think Rises has a more engaging plot, a more complex one. And the journey of Bruce Wayne is impressive even if I do dislike the actual end with him retiring happy ever after. Avengers is a more simple "bad guy with mcguffin is going to destroy the world!" plot. But that works for it because it's mainly driven by the characters coming together. Like a superhero team origin movie.

Avengers was both more entertaining and simply a better, more properly executed movie. TDKR reached for the stars and fell very short in many ways. A frustrating watch from an entertainment standpoint as well; I really find the two to be incomparable with regard to quality.

This is pretty much what i mean lol.

Last edited:

I'm 37 years old. I am sure I have seen more movies than you. Avengers is indeed a fine, crowd pleasing film. You're very new here. Try and stop implying things in your posts about other peoples opinions. Not every thing one writes in a forum has to be confrontational. Not every discussion about imaginary characters has to be a rhetorical knife fight. Take my advice or don't.

I'm 37 years old. I am sure I have seen more movies than you. Avengers is indeed a fine, crowd pleasing film. You're very new here. Try and stop implying things in your posts about other peoples opinions. Not every thing one writes in a forum has to be confrontational. Not every discussion about imaginary characters has to be a rhetorical knife fight. Take my advice or don't.

To me a 6.5 or a 7 is a "fine crowd pleasing film". Or do i have to rate a movie 9 or 10 in order to like it? I think it´s logical to assume that a 10 means that the movie is a flawless piece of art. The best thing you can possibly watch. So yeah, if you think TA is a 10 i can assume you need to watch more movies.

I imply too much. Yet, you are sure you´ve seen more movies than me. :)

There is no such thing as a flawless film. So by your reasoning there would never be a 10/10. I rate based on my personal enjoyment and how well the i think the film is executed.

The Avengers was great, The Dark Knight Rises was average.

To me a 6.5 or a 7 is a "fine crowd pleasing film". Or do i have to rate a movie 9 or 10 in order to like it? I think it´s logical to assume that a 10 means that the movie is a flawless piece of art. The best thing you can possibly watch. So yeah, if you think TA is a 10 i can assume you need to watch more movies.

I imply too much. Yet, you are sure you´ve seen more movies than me. :)

That you think you've just employed some kind of mental jiu-jitsu says quite a bit. That's not implication, that's the impression you are giving from the tone and content of your posts. Why not, ya know, not imply things about people, their intelligence or experience. Again, take my advice or don't. There are really smart, nice and knowledgeable posters here you can get to know, but if you just have to be "THAT" guy... Well I figure you won't get that chance. To once again bring up Sir Isaac Newton: Tact is the art of making a point without making an enemy. Namaste.

There is no such thing as a flawless film. So by your reasoning there would never be a 10/10. I rate based on my personal enjoyment and how well the i think the film is executed

A 10/10 is reserved to a film that i consider to be absolutely amazing in every single aspect. It would be the best expression of cinema that i could possibly watch. The pinnacle of the art.

I don´t see the logic of using a 10 point system if 10´s are given so easily. There are 9 points before the 10, but people go straight to the 10.

But that´s up to each individual. A 10 represents different things to different people. To me it represents the best possible thing i could watch, and this seems the most logical approach to me. But i know that most people give 10 to a movie they simply enjoyed. Their 10 is like my 7.

That's not implication, that's the impression you are giving from the tone and content of your posts.

Exactly. That´s the impression a lot of people give me from the tone and content of their posts. They give me the impression that they need to watch more movies. See how we understand each other? It´s not implication. It´s just impression :) MENTAL NINJUTSU!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"