The Double Standards Against Superman

Is that what wife beaters say?

stop-sign-hits-weather-reporter.gif

Domestic abusers and Superman in MOS are now morally equivalent? Please... You can dislike MOS. It's a movie. It could never satisfy every fan. But please... Can the criticism at least be reasonable? Both logically and within the parameters of taste? Superman was not in any way similar to a wife beater and MOS was in no way like a holocaust film. Dear Zod in the Zone!! Is overstatement the only way nerds can express themselves?

I like how people just assume people were in the silo and the car at the station. For one, that was a SILO. You don't get people swimming around in a corn/wheat/whatever silo. Second, nobody was in the car. You know why? Nobody was shown to be in the car.

You know what film showed people in cars that were getting destroyed? The Dark Knight. A man and children were shown to be in the direct path of destruction Batman was creating. Why is Batman not on trial for this? Or for probably smashing the driver of the garbage truck like a fly when he rammed his Tumbler down it's throat? I mean, we KNOW someone was in that, as it was BEING driven. Unlike the car at the gas station in MOS. Just saying....

Is this real life? Did you really write this? I find it hard to believe.

I like how people just assume people were in the silo and the car at the station. For one, that was a SILO. You don't get people swimming around in a corn/wheat/whatever silo. Second, nobody was in the car. You know why? Nobody was shown to be in the car.

You know what film showed people in cars that were getting destroyed? The Dark Knight. A man and children were shown to be in the direct path of destruction Batman was creating. Why is Batman not on trial for this? Or for probably smashing the driver of the garbage truck like a fly when he rammed his Tumbler down it's throat? I mean, we KNOW someone was in that, as it was BEING driven. Unlike the car at the gas station in MOS. Just saying....

Thank you. All good points.

Alright, so Superman causes the destruction and death of god knows how many people because he was angry and pushed Zod, yet we can forgive him for that because he was simply angry? He has power, and with power comes great responsibility to resist to the temptation of using it in the wrong way, and that is not endangering people, something which he did in his anger.

Alright, so Superman causes the destruction and death of god knows how many people because he was angry and pushed Zod, yet we can forgive him for that because he was simply angry? He has power, and with power comes great responsibility to resist to the temptation of using it in the wrong way, and that is not endangering people, something which he did in his anger.

Where is this proof you speak of? Please use specific examples because I saw ZERO people harmed by Superman slamming into Zod.

Read the post by GremlinZilla. We don't even know if anyone was killed.

And he wasn't just angry. Someone had picked his mom up by the neck and was threatening her. How would you react if someone was threatening to kill your mom? He'd probably never experienced a feeling like that before.

Read the post by GremlinZilla. We don't even know if anyone was killed.

And he wasn't just angry. Someone had picked his mom up by the neck and was threatening her. How would you react if someone was threatening to kill your mom? He'd probably never experienced a feeling like that before.

There is no use arguing with the "SUPERMAN KILLED THE WHOLE WORLD IN MOS!" people. They are convinced they saw dead people fly out the silo he slammed Zod through and burning bodies shoot out of the gas station screaming in agony asking "Why SUPERMAN! WHY DID YOU KILL US!"

They also seem to think Superman himself leveled every building in Metropolis when all they have to do is watch the damn movie to see that is, without exaggeration, flat out wrong.

It's a pointless argument. If some fans want to hold MOS up to some standard they don't hold other CBM's too and ignore all the collateral damage Supes does in the comics and cartoons then let them.

^ Yeah, it's unfortunate that some peoples' complaints about the movie aren't even supported by what was shown on the screen. Their loss, I guess.

There is no use arguing with the "SUPERMAN KILLED THE WHOLE WORLD IN MOS!" people. They are convinced they saw dead people fly out the silo he slammed Zod through and burning bodies shoot out of the gas station screaming in agony asking "Why SUPERMAN! WHY DID YOU KILL US!"

You think that the level of destruction Superman caused wouldn't hurt anyone? And aren't you generalising certain people who didn't like this aspect a little too much? Have some respect for other people's opinions, otherwise you don't deserve it yourself

They also seem to think Superman himself leveled every building in Metropolis when all they have to do is watch the damn movie to see that is, without exaggeration, flat out wrong.

Did anybody say he leveled every building? Just because he didn't cause all the destruction it doesn't mean he didn't lead to some of it, even if it was only around 5% of it, and it's by watching the actual film, where actions are supposed to have consequences according to Zack Snyder, hence why so many people died in the film as he said, that some complain, because by following that rule, Superman himself may have caused some deaths.

It's a pointless argument. If some fans want to hold MOS up to some standard they don't hold other CBM's too and ignore all the collateral damage Supes does in the comics and cartoons then let them.
I don't hold it to a different standard, i hate it when Superman causes a level of destruction in any other media which must have lead to many people's death, i complain when it happened in Superman: Doomsday or any other story too, maybe you should just visit other places besides threads and reviews relating to one of the year's most watched film, hence why people talk about what happened in this film more than what happened in other Superman stories.

And i'm tired of certain MoS fans trying to say people rated the film badly due to a notion that of what they think Superman should be like, it's not just about that, i liked it due to the action, but as a film it did fall flat, and you don't need to be a Superman fan to see that, i doubt that all the critics that dislike it did so because of some inner Supes fanboyism which thought the film went against their character.

He's the hero everyone including your favorite heroes look up to and inspire to be. He's the hero everyone turns to for advice. He's the hero that will always answer your call for help no matter who you are and what he's done. He's the hero everyone wants to be.

Everything you just said applies equally to Captain America.

As far as Supes, I don't know where this idea that he's infallible came from, or that he should somehow be able to save everyone everywhere. That's boring. Let his save who he can, prevent what destruction he can, but no man, alien or god will be able to fully prevent tragedy from striking. Superman works best when he has limitations, as few as they may be. Imo.

You think that the level of destruction Superman caused wouldn't hurt anyone? And aren't you generalising certain people who didn't like this aspect a little too much? Have some respect for other people's opinions, otherwise you don't deserve it yourself

Did anybody say he leveled every building? Just because he didn't cause all the destruction it doesn't mean he didn't lead to some of it, even if it was only around 5% of it, and it's by watching the actual film, where actions are supposed to have consequences according to Zack Snyder, hence why so many people died in the film as he said, that some complain, because by following that rule, Superman himself may have caused some deaths.

I don't hold it to a different standard, i hate it when Superman causes a level of destruction in any other media which must have lead to many people's death, i complain when it happened in Superman: Doomsday or any other story too, maybe you should just visit other places besides threads and reviews relating to one of the year's most watched film, hence why people talk about what happened in this film more than what happened in other Superman stories.

And i'm tired of certain MoS fans trying to say people rated the film badly due to a notion that of what they think Superman should be like, it's not just about that, i liked it due to the action, but as a film it did fall flat, and you don't need to be a Superman fan to see that, i doubt that all the critics that dislike it did so because of some inner Supes fanboyism which thought the film went against their character.

I can't respect opinions that literally have no weight in regards to what is SHOWN in the film. I'm not saying this to be a wiseass. If people are going to act like Superman did nothing but wreck things and not give a f--k when it so blatantly, obviously does not happen in the film then said opinion is not worth taking seriously.

Now I can totally see this argument if it showed him constantly chucking Zod and random enemies into crowds or buildings with people in them, destroying buildings and cars to use as weapons and such...but THAT. DOES. NOT. HAPPEN. I'm truly sorry people can't enjoy the film because the violence made them uncomfortable and that they think Superman has to be this perfect angel who wouldn't stir up a dust cloud given the chance, I truly am. It's your right but don't make crap up like you've (not YOU, personally. The general you) been doing since the film came out.

I personally believe that the action and destruction was so great and grand in MOS that they couldn't wrap their mind as what was actually going on.

All they saw was a mess. I laugh at the notion that they saw the fighting scenes as repetitive. They missed everything. They couldn't see past the first layer.

Honestly who cares about the death tolls. Fights like that happen alot in Superman's world.

We all agree that Bruce Timm has a clear understanding of the Comics. His animated shows and films of Superman display a very aggressive and destructive Superman. A Superman that can lose his cool when his loved ones are hurt. He'll even in the Donner films when Lois died Superman lost it and defied JorEl and reversed time.

You can't say Superman caused the death of many. Superman didn't throw Zod through a building. Maybe dragged his face across some windows but not through a building.

Zod really did the damage Superman was just caught up I it.

i personally believe that the action and destruction was so great and grand in mos that they couldn't wrap their mind as what was actually going on.

All they saw was a mess. I laugh at the notion that they saw the fighting scenes as repetitive. They missed everything. They couldn't see past the first layer.

Honestly who cares about the death tolls. Fights like that happen alot in superman's world.

We all agree that bruce timm has a clear understanding of the comics. His animated shows and films of superman display a very aggressive and destructive superman. A superman that can lose his cool when his loved ones are hurt. He'll even in the donner films when lois died superman lost it and defied jorel and reversed time.

You can't say superman caused the death of many. Superman didn't throw zod through a building. Maybe dragged his face across some windows but not through a building.

zod really did the damage superman was just caught up in it.

no! But superman should have taken the fight into a vacuum so nothing and nobody could get hurt! Because super powered battles in cornfields are sooooo fun! Never mind what happens in the comics and toon! Only this one movie has to follow our rigid rules on what should happen in a superman movie!

You guys do know that you're part of the internet right? But stay in your cocoon, it's everybody else's loss that they dislike a highly flawed film, make whatever excuses you want to but The Man of Steel still isn't that a very good story. Try to use other heroes like Captain America as examples However you like, Steve fought during the freaking World War II, and was pulled straight from the middle of the battlefield to the present day, of course he's going to kill more easily than Superman.

It has been stated over and over again, in this thread and out of it, whatever you thought of the film, i think this vídeo gives some very good opinions on some of the problems in the film and the character:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...egade-cut/41364-the-trouble-with-man-of-steel

You guys do know that you're part of the internet right? But stay in your cocoon, it's everybody else's loss that they dislike a highly flawed film, make whatever excuses you want to but The Man of Steel still isn't that a very good story. Try to use other heroes like Captain America as examples However you like, Steve fought during the freaking World War II, and was pulled straight from the middle of the battlefield to the present day, of course he's going to kill more easily than Superman.

It has been stated over and over again, in this thread and out of it, whatever you thought of the film, i think this vídeo gives some very good opinions on some of the problems in the film and the character:

http://thatguywiththeglasses.com/vi...egade-cut/41364-the-trouble-with-man-of-steel

I really have no problem with people liking or disliking a movie. It's all subjective for the most part anyway. I just find the complaint around the action to be one issue that for me doesn't make sense. That sort of destruction is not only pretty common place in all CBMs, but it's apparent in nearly all Superman stories ranging from comics to cartoons. I don't understand why this particular version bothers some so much when there aren't similar complaints for other incarnations.

Dude... You compared the characters actions in the film to a wife beater. I've seen others compare MOS to a holocaust film. You don't have to like the film. Nothing is perfect. But epic overstatements are epic overstatements.

Hey, the action's the only thing i really loved in the film, i just complain about some of the destruction Superman has caused and how he may have affected some lives in a negative way. Though inside the universe of the film the character is going to have a hard time making people trust him, when in his début he was involved in a cataclysm much bigger than 9/11.

We as an audience know he was trying to save the city, but inside the universe it's obvious that most would not trust him, but that's not really a problem in the plot as long as the next film can use this in their advantage.

Dislike the movie all you want. Criticisms that MAKE sense don't bother me in the slightest. If people thought the editing was poor and the script lousy then fine. I don't agree but those are perfectly valid complaints. It's also perfectly valid if you felt the action was objectively too much of the same. I can understand some feeling it all blended together after a while. Again, I don't agree as I think it has the best action of any superhero film to date and really felt like KRYPTONIANS battling it out...but to each his own...I won't begrudge people that complaint.

What I do have a problem with is making crap up about what actually happens on the screen and then trashing the movie for something that happened in their own minds.

Dude... You compared the characters actions in the film to a wife beater. I've seen others compare MOS to a holocaust film. You don't have to like the film. Nothing is perfect. But epic overstatements are epic overstatements.

Nope, i was comparing that particular scene where he caused a lot of destruction, by then nobody said it was likelly that nobody had been hurt by that, instead a poster answered by saying "can't Superman get angry?", when the idea that he had caused the death of some people in that anger had not yet been contradicted.

Hey, the action's the only thing i really loved in the film, i just complain about some of the destruction Superman has caused and how he may have affected some lives in a negative way. Though inside the universe of the film the character is going to have a hard time making people trust him, when in his début he was involved in a cataclysm much bigger than 9/11.

We as an audience know he was trying to save the city, but inside the universe it's obvious that most would not trust him, but that's not really a problem in the plot as long as the next film can use this in their advantage.
Yet, Superman always is apart of destruction that affects people in a negative way. Buildings are destroyed and things are turned into rubble, but it's not as though he is doing it deliberately. Plus, the consequences of him not fighting have far heavier consequences. I just can't understand why this particular time or version of events is causing so much issue for some.

I do agree though after that incident it will be hard for people to trust him. I think the point of the next movie is he will have to build trust. People aren't going to trust him automatically. They weren't ready to do that before he caused the destruction. He has to earn that trust.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"