First Avenger The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

spider_rob

Civilian
Reaction score
Did any of you feel that the ending was abrupt? "I had a date" and then cut to black. I think it shocked the audience I watched with, and left them kind of confused. I think that's a big reason there was no applause at the end, because they didn't know how to respond. Me and my GF discussed if it would have been better if it had him visiting Peggy's grave, or visiting her children or something. Instead it just seemed like the film makers were expecting the audience to just roll with it until Avengers comes out.

People applauded at the theater I saw it at.

yeah, people at my theatre laughed a bit. The smart ones who waited for the end credits totally lost it with glee as they watched the Avengers trailer before applauding wildly at its end!

I thought the EXACT same thing, but I was so in enraptured with the entire film I let it slide. My audience loved it though, and I the girl I saw it with didn't feel it was to abrupt of an ending, so I guess it's not as big of a deal as I originally thought.

I don't see how having him visit Peggy's grave would have worked. Can't spend too much time with him after he wakes up in modern times, it would have come off to me as a cheesy "we're just doing this because we have to show he's sad" scene and the ending line they had was pretty sad/touching and classier.

It was an abrupt cut, but I didn't mind it. The audience at the screening I was at applauded at the end.

I just had an idea. It's possible that The Avengers movie could pick up directly after Cap. So if the two movies were viewed back-to-back, they would be almost seamless.

I actually love that last line.It had all types of meaning's beyond just the obvious one.It left you a bit sad, which is really important to the origin of Steve.

I liked the ending but i did go Wtf that's it??!! That's how it's going to end?!!

I hated that Steve was never shown being unfrozen. I was really looking foward to a scene with Steve in bed with wires and breathing tubes hooked up to him, surrounded by SHIELD doctors and scientists trying to see if is still alive, they just jumped past too much there in that last scene. He didnt even seem to be in a very secure location, he just gets up, shoves some guys down and walks out the front door? SHIELD is supposed to be a super secret organization and you just let Captain America walk out the door, not that big a deal I guess but that scene just rubbed me the wrong way.

they didn't really just let him "walk away", they thought he'd buy their little show long enough to ease him into the modern world. However they did underestimate his memory and strength; but who would have guessed his mind and body would be so readily responsive so quickly after being frozen?

it was brilliant... i hope they show him being dethawed in the avengers though.

Glad I'm not the only one that felt this. This movie was superb, had the best emotional core out of any of Marvel Studios films, I loved it. But right at the end, they could have had something that just made it all the more powerful.

Showing Capt frozen, and have a montage of a passage of time, all that he loves and who he loves is going away and he is being left behind. That is so core to the character later on, I really felt like what the hell? Why did they not have a scene like that? It would have been emotionally sad but satisfying. And the cut to the end, going from a sad line, and putting in triumphal music a split second later was really awkward. Still loved the film, just the ending and what could have been kinda made it a little less than what it could have been.,

They can still show all the dethawing in Avengers. The scene where Mjolnir in discovered after the credits in IM2 was repeated in Thor. Who knows, they can give us more at the beginning of Avengers.

If Steve was never frozen would he have aged naturally? I know his cells regenerate at a fast pace (like Wolverine) so even if he was never stuck in a block of ice, he would probably outlive everyone close to him anyway right?

They can still show all the dethawing in Avengers. The scene where Mjolnir in discovered after the credits in IM2 was repeated in Thor. Who knows, they can give us more at the beginning of Avengers.

But it should be self-contained in the film, it would have made the film more of a whole. The emotional moment was leading up to it, we had all the background and the momentum going it would have worked way better in Capt itself rather than Avengers.

I think my audience was confused to becasue there was no clapping at all and when I wen to see TF 3 there was lol.

SHIELD is supposed to be a super secret organization and you just let Captain America walk out the door

Reminds me of my favorite line from IM2. "Whoa, whoa, whoa. He took it? You're Iron Man and he just took it? The little brother walked in there, kicked your ass and took your suit? Is that possible?"

It did end abruptly. I don't know about the visiting Peggy's Grave thing, but maybe slowly pan the camera back and get a birds eye view of Cap looking all around at time square, would have worked better.

Thor was abrupt too. I enjoyed both movies but the endings felt like a big middle finger. Like it's a twist hat what you were watching for the past 2 hours was a teaser all along for the real movie which is The Avengers.

Edit: Another thing I didn't like was the contrast between the sad "I had a date" line with the triumphant music that played immediately after it.

Last edited:
Showing Capt frozen, and have a montage of a passage of time, all that he loves and who he loves is going away and he is being left behind. That is so core to the character later on, I really felt like what the hell? ,

The way I see it, there are TWO different kinds of "suspension of dis-belielf" associated with a movie like this. The first, is the obvious one...the second kind is specific to people like us, who KNOW the story already.

The movie has to assume that everyone does NOT know that cap is thawed in modern day, that he wakes up and joins a world that has left him behind. Yes, it is part of the pop culture, but for storytelling purposes they have to assume that NO ONE knows what will happen.

Rather than let us in on what was happening as it happed, the filmakers chose to allow us to experience some of the confusion and uncertaintly that cap was feelin WITH him. NOT showing him thaw, and making it seem that he was in a 1940's hospital accomplished that....think about it...if you had never HEARD of cap before, you'd be in for quite an emotional ride as you discover what caps discovers AS he discovers it.

Wow, people wanted it to be MORE sad? My problem was really that it should have been two movies. The film was such a fun, excellent adventure film, and so well done, and really my only two gripes are that the Howling Commandos should have been more fleshed out and that I didn't want to follow this kind of film with such a downbeat ending, especially going right into the uplifting "Captain America March." It should have been that the first film would establish Captain America's origins, introduce the characters, and give more room to build up his training and his growth as a leader. Then the next film would deal with the events leading up to his freezing, and ending more or less as this film did. That way you have a sort of Star Wars/Empire Strikes Back relationship, where you have one film to just be able to enjoy it as a standalone, feel-good adventure, and the next really starts to pile on the drama.

Barring that, though, I do think that keeping the originally intended flow of the awakening happening after the credits would do a WORLD of good. Ending with the boy with the painted trash can lid ends things with a reminder of the good that Cap has accomplished and the positive influence he has been, and would segue beautifully into not just the upbeat end credits music, but also the patriotic imagery. By concluding the film proper in this manner, the focus remains on things relevant to the themes of the film: despite his loss and the loss of his friends, Steve has stuck to his principles as Dr. Erskine said, and done his part to help.

Another thing that bugged me is how he reacted when he found out that he was asleep for 70 years he was just like ok i am in the year 2000. What i really liked about the ending is that it made me want to see more of Cap. Like him seeing Peggy and him meeting the Members of the Howling Comando that are still alive

The way I see it, there are TWO different kinds of "suspension of dis-belielf" associated with a movie like this. The first, is the obvious one...the second kind is specific to people like us, who KNOW the story already.

The movie has to assume that everyone does NOT know that cap is thawed in modern day, that he wakes up and joins a world that has left him behind. Yes, it is part of the pop culture, but for storytelling purposes they have to assume that NO ONE knows what will happen.

Rather than let us in on what was happening as it happed, the filmakers chose to allow us to experience some of the confusion and uncertaintly that cap was feelin WITH him. NOT showing him thaw, and making it seem that he was in a 1940's hospital accomplished that....think about it...if you had never HEARD of cap before, you'd be in for quite an emotional ride as you discover what caps discovers AS he discovers it.

The only problem with that is I think it made it quite clear that he was frozen to present day from the opening scene. It even says 1943 after showing the frozen shield. I think having that scene really already gave the audience the knowledge they needed to know, I don't think it was much of a shock to the audience when he was really in present day. It would have been much more powerful to show the freezing of him, and all that he loves being taken by the ravages of time.

But having said that I still love the movie I just would love an extended edition (only for that one scene). Though again I thought it was a great movie. Just the ending kinda was the one thing that let me down, but still a great film.

I loved it, the whole scene reminded me of Ultimate Avengers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"