First Avenger The ending, did you go WTF? *spoilers of course*

People who say that Captain America's defrosting needed to be shown probably miss the point that it was meant to represent his POV - the confusion and disorientation from waking up, and when he realises he is in present day, we are meant to feel the same as well.

That's why some people said it felt 'abrupt', and a 'wtf.' If that's the case, that's how Steve Rogers feels!

Also, why show the defrosting if we know he's going to survive, as the eponymous hero anyway? It would have created a false suspense, but also particularly it would have felt like a 'separate movie.' If that makes sense.

The ending was subtly poignant and that is the point. It certainly isn't a traditional trope, where everything that is self evident must be shown.

People who say that Captain America's defrosting needed to be shown probably miss the point that it was meant to represent his POV - the confusion and disorientation from waking up, and when he realises he is in present day, we are meant to feel the same as well.

That's why some people said it felt 'abrupt', and a 'wtf.' If that's the case, that's how Steve Rogers feels!

Also, why show the defrosting if we know he's going to survive, as the eponymous hero anyway? It would have created a false suspense, but also particularly it would have felt like a 'separate movie.' If that makes sense.

The ending was subtly poignant and that is the point. It certainly isn't a traditional trope, where everything that is self evident must be shown.

I understand wanting the audience to be feeling the same as Cap. I think the thing I felt was "abrupt" about the ending was how quickly Cap seemed to accept it. I mean, he had the quick freak out and sprints out of the building...but after that, once Nick Fury shows up, he just kind of accepts what Fury is telling him. Not very realistic. I wanted to see him struggling with accepting it more. I wanted more of an emotional reaction out of him. I understand we'll get a lot of this in Avengers, and I'm not saying for a full 20 minutes of seeing Cap adjust, but maybe just draw out that ending scene for a few more minutes.

Why show the spider bite Peter if we already know he's gonna get his powers? Why should we see the space craft leave Krypton?? Just have it found in a corn field?? Why show the Waynes get shot down?? The end result is not as fun as the journey.

Because it's part of his story! These are all visuals we have all been enjoying in print. We now have an opportunity to see it brought to life annnnnd...NOTHING.

I understand wanting the audience to be feeling the same as Cap. I think the thing I felt was "abrupt" about the ending was how quickly Cap seemed to accept it. I mean, he had the quick freak out and sprints out of the building...but after that, once Nick Fury shows up, he just kind of accepts what Fury is telling him. Not very realistic. I wanted to see him struggling with accepting it more. I wanted more of an emotional reaction out of him. I understand we'll get a lot of this in Avengers, and I'm not saying for a full 20 minutes of seeing Cap adjust, but maybe just draw out that ending scene for a few more minutes.

Bingo!

There was a lot of crying in my theatre at the end.
It was emotional enough for me.

personally i'm not sure whether they should have gotten him outta the ground yet

film should have ended moments after it started with them finding it and realising he's still alive.

the actual ending shown should have been the post title credits i think.

personally i'm not sure whether they should have gotten him outta the ground yet

film should have ended moments after it started with them finding it and realising he's still alive.

Yep.

Agree. The final scene, I'd like it to be the post credit scene,, and have the Avengers teaser as a seperate trailer, not part of the Cap movie. IMO.

So, we should discover THE HERO is ALIVE in an after credit scene that not everybody is going to see?
NO.
These movies are not just made for us and EVERYBODY should see the Hero survive.

I am not saying that the Hero HAS to survive .
I am saying that if it is in the plot that he is going to survive , then everybody should get a chance to see it, not just those who stay for the after credit scenes .

Great ending. Made even me wonder for a while what was going on. I like to be surprised. But we kinda already saw Cap being found in the opening...

I am saying that if it is in the plot that he is going to survive , then everybody should get a chance to see it, not just those who stay for the after credit scenes .

Everyone would've gotten a chance to know it, if they'd done it sensibly.

well that's all we need

'oh my god, we've got a pulse'

would have been sufficient.

saying he's alive right at the end is enough to know he's survived

the awakening scene, doesn't particularly add to this notion and is just an easter egg bit for the fans as such, which can be covered very quickly again in a teaser trailer, internet released scene or at the beginning of the avengers.

to be fair, it'll be done anyway, it's not like the scene was a major part of the jigsaw anywho.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"