The Dark Knight The Ending: Your Way

I like this thread....

I saw TDK for the third time tonight, and I WAS THINKING of an alternate ending as well, so I dont blame the original poster for coming up with one!

My alternate ending...

The movie progresses as usual. At the end, Two-Face is talking to Gordon, with Gordon's son in his arms. Batman shows up. Batman explains they all lost something and Two-Face should point the gun at those truly responsible. Two-Face says "You first" and flips the coin....tails... Batman gets shot. Two-Face looks sad. He says "My turn" and flips the coin....

Dramatic music rises...

TAILS!

Two-Face shoots himself.

He falls. Gordon gets his son, he consoles his family. Gordon checks on Batman. Gordon grabs his radio and Batman breathes heavily and stops him.... they look over Two-Face's body, and the movie ends in the same way that it originally does: Batman takes the blame, he runs off... Gordon's speech... "A Dark Knight" THE END.

Why my alternate ending works: There has been so much bickering on this forum about whether or not Batman breaks his one rule by tackling Harvey and letting him fall.... so when Harvey points the gun at his head.... why not just let him kill himself? To me, Harvey was not completely insane... just hurt, bent on revenge, and pissed off.... he knew he would not "escape this" (and he says exactly that at the end).... so why not just let him commit suicide? Sure, the fanboys would probably FREAK OUT if Two-Face killed himself in the movie interpretation of his character, but I think it works, and I also think it adds even more tradegy to his character arc.

And it avoids all the mess and confusion about whether or not Batman kill Two-Face.... and then the ending remains exactly the same (Batman decides to resume responsibility for the killings, Gordon's speech, etc.)...

what do you guys/gals think?

One possible alternate ending could involve Batman not being able to kill Two-Face, and Gordon shooting him to save his son. Talk about creating conflict.

I would have liked a final scene of Joker in a padded cell at Arkham.

Obviously he was arrested at the end, but I felt it needed just that one shot of an Arkham cell door - "Inmate #583. Name: Unknown."

As it stands now, a final shot of Joker locked away in a cell at Arkham would make the ending perfect. Just wrapped in a straight-jacket and laughing.

However given that Ledger cannot return for the third movie I would have liked to see Two-Face killing Joker. Not because he feels Joker is responsible for what he has become, but because he has become what Batman will not, and is willing to kill evil in order to stop it.

The ending is perfect, but I would've preferred that after Batman saves The Joker from falling, it cut to Arkham Asylum, The Joker in a straight jacket, and have the whole "everybody has an ace up their sleeve... and mine was Harvey" conversation take place there. The Joker says "hey... why so serious...?" and laughs maniacally, the camera then pans out to show his closed cell door which reads: "Inmate #583. Name: Unknown.", and we cut to the ending we have, with Batman, Dent, Gordon and family.

I would have preferred there to be more clarity on whether or not Two Face died.

Personally, I would have liked him to have lived. Gordon and Batman could have then faked Harvey's death and locked him away at Arkham.

i think it would of been kewl if :

Harvey didn't die but Gordon kept the image that he was to batman and the public by stashing him in arkham asylum so that the city would not forget all the good harvey did and in arkham harvey happens to be next to the cell where joker is

but i also think nolan cant top TDK so i have a feeling he wont do another one the biggest selling point for tdk was the joker and i dont see him casting another one

Looks like we are on the same page, Project862006. Taking it a step further....if the Riddler appears in the next movie perhaps he solves the mystery of "what happened to Harvey Dent?" and exposes the fact that he is still alive, thereby exposing Gordon and Batman as liars who purposely mislead the people of Gotham.

I really wanted Dent to kill the kid, just to show how far he'd fallen.
This would've definitely boosted the rating so i can understand why he didnt, also it would not have been 'fair' as the coin decided.

I think a quick scene showing how distraught Gordon was that he hadn't saved rachel after her death would've added weight to the final showdown with harvey.

Generaly though I loved it, the gordon voiceover as batman staggers off is amazing

I think no one doubted he was going to shoot the kid if the coin came up bad. He already demonstrated he had fallen by pointing the gun at Gordon's son and shooting Batman, someone he considered a "friend" or at least an ally.

As for Two-Face killing himself it works...but the fact that it is left ambiguous whether Batman did or did not break his rule is the heart of the matter. They want to leave people arguing.

In the latest Bond film, the Chris Cornell penned 'You Know My Name' is the theme song of the movie, but at the very last scene.. we sorta get to see the re-birth of agent 007. And suddenly the theme song abruptly changes to the old classic Bond melody from the previous films, signifying that James has now become the cold, smooth, SOB we all know and love.

Now, picture this. You're listening intently to Gordon give his closing speech.... and as he delivers his final line... the theme music for Batman: The Animated Series kicks in. That would have been sick. You know it would! :cwink:

what? The music was perfect in this movie.

i loved the ending, loved the music, the speech, and how it ends with the shot of batman on the batpod going up the ramp or whatever.

Well, I liked the way Batman Begins gave a teaser into the next one.

So I would have liked perhaps an after credits scene or one before the funeral and wrapping up where we see Mr. Reese sitting against a dark background wearing a green suit with the purple tie he wore earlier in the movie speaking on the phone to a police officer.

Police Officer: You do understand we are going to have to put you under protective custody for a while, right?
Mr. Reese: Yes, yes! Of course... just...
Police Officer: Also, we are going to have you take on a new identity until things cool off. I'm afraid there will be no more television appearances for you.
Mr. Reese: What?... No!! You can't do that!!..
Police Officer: We have no other choice. Now, for a name... we got Edward Naston, is that okay?
Mr. Reese turns around and looks at his desk with numerous blue-prints that were obviously stolen during the "break-in" mentioned earlier in the film (right after Bruce saved his life). He speaks in a calmer, more distant voice.
Mr. Reese: Can you make that... Edward Nygma?...

Maybe that would spoil the fun of "who is the Riddler", but I think it would have made a nice little 2-minute ending bonus scene that would have made a lot of fans excited.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"