Question about Eternals #1...

I was a bit disappointed with the first issue, but that may have just been because I built it up too much in my mind. The whole scenario with god-heroes forgetting their identities and starting mortal lives has been done about 3 or 4 times in Thor's comic alone. But, while the underlying plot is a bit disappointing, the story itself, along with the art, pacing, and everything else, was very entertaining. A reviewer at Newsarama (I think) said this was the best work of John Romita Jr.'s career, and I have to agree. The inker and colorist's work looks great as well. Gaiman's not usually the type to lay all his cards on the table right away anyway, so there's probably a lot more to the plot, too. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

As for Sersi, I thought the ditzy party girl thing worked wonderfully. Sersi's always been a party girl. She threw enormous galas at least twice that I remember while she was an Avenger. If she had to become a mortal, becoming a ditzy party planner who mooches off her friend because literally all she cares about is parties makes lots of sense. I'm actually more confused about why Makkari became a med student. Was he a healer among the Eternals before or something?

TheCorpulent1 said:
I'm actually more confused about why Makkari became a med student. Was he a healer among the Eternals before or something?

That struck me as little odd as well. I think I have all of Makkari's appearances and I haven't read anything like that before. His thing has always been running and speed.

Then again, he's thousands of years old, and we only know about a few years worth of his life, so I guess there is the possibility he was a healer in the past.

DBM said:
That struck me as little odd as well. I think I have all of Makkari's appearances and I haven't read anything like that before. His thing has always been running and speed.

Then again, he's thousands of years old, and we only know about a few years worth of his life, so I guess there is the possibility he was a healer in the past.

Well, apparently he wasn't all that thrilled with being a med student. His dreams about racing made him more excited than what he was doing. I know it's because it ties with what he really is, but it's also what leads me to think that they went to ground for some reason. My theory that they chose something that isn't obviously related with them is all shot to hell due to Sersi(thanks, Corp!:mad:) and Thena; although I don't know much about Druig he seems to be acting somewhat close to character.

I'm probably one of the few people that hasn't read much Sandman and doesn't see Gaiman as a god. A very respectable writer, yes; but I've yet to see much of his work to elevate him further.:D Putting the names of the artists involved aside, I found this comic to be very good. It's easy for anyone to pick up and the story is solid introducing some of the elements of old without being confusing. Frankly, it's one of those comics you can give out to hook people, IMO.

Thena was a scientist among the Eternals? I thought she was the consummate warrior/leader.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Thena was a scientist among the Eternals? I thought she was the consummate warrior/leader.

Calm down.

TheCorpulent1 said:

Well, if memory serves, she also brought many of our modern scientific practices to ancient greece. And, while she is a seperate entity, Thena was responsible for many of the myths regarding Athena.

TheCorpulent1 said:
I will hit you with a bus.

Both of you need to calm down before I punch you in the face with an airplane. :mad:

Back on topic.

From Newsarama

Gaiman_EternalsEW.jpg

TheCorpulent1 said:

OMG! Considering how advanced the the Eternals are and Athena (Thena's "other") is the goddess of tactical war....can't you see the link? Her human persona develops weapons? You can see a connection with Sersi and not Thena?! Not even a chorus of 1 million valley girls saying "Oh-my-GAHD!" are enough to illustrate what you deserve!:mad:

The Question said:
I'm guessing that The Eternals' powers have been stripped along with their memories, and Ikaris' are only slowly returning with his memories.
I wonder how they pulled that off and I hope they give an explanation.

Based on canon their "base" powers are as "natural" as what your "base" powers are as a normal human being.

Someone throwning a picnic plastic butterknife at you wouldn't be able to do more than get your attention because of your natural base integrity,

I'd expect that bullets, bombs, and iron knives would be the same for the eternals.

As far as the interbreeding,... this is a GREAT chance to give Marvel an out as far as why there is a large mutant population.
Say for example two eternals have children with two baseline humans,... there would be a point where if enough desendents of these two unrelated pairing crop up,.. you cross a threshold and get an undetectable mutate. two or three generations later two of these come to gether and you get someone obviously slightly stronger faster more resilant and still apparently human. a few gens later you get a summers pairing or a monroe pairing and get someone with a strong mutation. if it happened sooner and went unremarked you get a grey pairing later that gets you a omega mutant.

Tropico said:
The road to Hell isn't really paved with good intentions. It's paved first with variant covers, then foil covers, then die cut covers and finally with hologram covers. If you see a die cut, foil hologram cover which is a variant of an existing cover then you're fragged!:(
yeah know, I don't like variant or special covers either, but if I ever do get a chance to write comics I think I might just have to do exactly that, Trop. And I think I won't even do it on an issue where anything special happens either, just a totally random issue that's not any more unique then the one before or after it... except it's got a die-cut foil cover with a hologram on it.

DBM said:
Both of you need to calm down before I punch you in the face with an airplane. :mad:
Hahaha, that was delightfully random. :D
Tropico said:
OMG! Considering how advanced the the Eternals are and Athena (Thena's "other") is the goddess of tactical war....can't you see the link? Her human persona develops weapons? You can see a connection with Sersi and not Thena?! Not even a chorus of 1 million valley girls saying "Oh-my-GAHD!" are enough to illustrate what you deserve!:mad:
You're so mean to me, Trop. After all we've meant to each other... :(

Elijya said:
yeah know, I don't like variant or special covers either, but if I ever do get a chance to write comics I think I might just have to do exactly that, Trop. And I think I won't even do it on an issue where anything special happens either, just a totally random issue that's not any more unique then the one before or after it... except it's got a die-cut foil cover with a hologram on it.

Does that mean that it's a sign of Hell on Earth if you get to write comics?!:eek:
Kidding!:D I understand why they do these special covers and I know how cool some of them are especially for people whose favorite artist is doing them or if it features your fave characters. I'm not saying that I don't like them, more like they give me a bad feeling. Saying I didn't like them would make me VERY hypocritical since I have all of the X-Men #1 covers INCLUDING the one with all of the separate covers together. I started college in the 90's and a lot of people can attest that at that time is when you buy the most comics. The most recent example of my succumbing to the dark side was buying the foil covers to the Street Fighter comics, I didn't buy both covers, just the foil ones. I have a weakness for paint-like art in comics and the covers were done in that fashion.

TheCorpulent1 said:
You're so mean to me, Trop. After all we've meant to each other... :(

Awww, Corpy!:O You know that's my brand of tough love to keep you on your toes.;):D

This book may be a curse. The entire time I'm reading this I'm thinking, "God damn I miss Romita Jr. on Spider-Man!". Heh.

I know absolutely nothing about the Eternals what so ever. In fact, I never even heard of the Eternals until it was announced Gaiman and Romita Jr. were teaming up for it.

Gaiman's 1602 was absolutely amazing. And Romita Jr. is like...the new God of comic book artwork. I'd be half a ****** not to buy this book.

But this has definitely got me interested. So far, Ikaris is my favorite character. I dig his Eternals suit. And how pieces of the Marvel Universe are fitting in with Tony Stark making an appearance and Mr. Fantastic doing that stupid commercial, and not to mention the fact that they are mentioning the registration act and stuff. I didn't really expect that.

Gaiman hardly writes for Marvel and he's already better at continuity than people who have written for years and years at Marvel. :o

i was introduced to the eternals back in the late 80's and wound up buying about 15 dog-eared copies of the original run (including #1)

<--obviously it made quite an impression

it's funny to read letter cols from those issues - no one knew if it was supposed to exist in the marvel universe or if they wanted it to. Basically, it was a great concept that had trouble finding a place. They are remedying that situation already i , in this mini.

I never read the 85 mini though - does anyone know what happened there?

A funny thing about the Eternals: Ikaris claims to have been Daedelus. It's funny how he got the name all wrong, though. Somehow, I don't see him constructing an inescapable Labyrinth, either. But, I don't doubt him. I just think he should have kept all that to himself, 'cause it's really stupid.

Tropico said:
I don't get the impression that it's a retcon. It kinda looked like the Deviants did something to them. Or if it wasn't the Deviants then it's a good chance it was themselves to hide out for some reason.

Ghaur plot? didn't see it from that angle. Might be possible, but I don't think Gaiman thinks that straightforward.

Some funky Uni-Mind thing perhaps? Why would they do this to themselves if that's so?

Sersi's been the most active Earth-based Eternal in the 616 universe, I'd believe that at least some of the heroes from the Avengers might have checked up on her.

Or could it be no one can remember who they are either? :spidey:

TheCorpulent1 said:
I was a bit disappointed with the first issue, but that may have just been because I built it up too much in my mind. The whole scenario with god-heroes forgetting their identities and starting mortal lives has been done about 3 or 4 times in Thor's comic alone. But, while the underlying plot is a bit disappointing, the story itself, along with the art, pacing, and everything else, was very entertaining. A reviewer at Newsarama (I think) said this was the best work of John Romita Jr.'s career, and I have to agree. The inker and colorist's work looks great as well. Gaiman's not usually the type to lay all his cards on the table right away anyway, so there's probably a lot more to the plot, too. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series.

As for Sersi, I thought the ditzy party girl thing worked wonderfully. Sersi's always been a party girl. She threw enormous galas at least twice that I remember while she was an Avenger. If she had to become a mortal, becoming a ditzy party planner who mooches off her friend because literally all she cares about is parties makes lots of sense. I'm actually more confused about why Makkari became a med student. Was he a healer among the Eternals before or something?

Makkari Is associated with healing.

Good to see somone else remembers Sersi's parties...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"