The Dark Knight Rises The Fascination w/ Gotham City

MyNameisAsh525

Civilian
Reaction score
Ra's Al Ghul Called it Earth's Greatest City in Batman Begins....Why?

Why would this city be rated over any other such as New York, Los Angeles, Atlanta, Hong Kong, or France?

..or even METROPOLIS???

Are the League of Shadows wanting to cause Chaos all over the world (like Al Queda) by hitting Earth's Greatest City (911-esque)....Is this a parallel to our reality of terrorism?

I just don't get why Gotham is considered the greatest city ever

Isnt it considered the largest city in the US?

Because Gotham is aka New York.

Yeah, Gotham replaces NY. Search the photo thread for the map of Gotham - It's sorta similar to how NY is laid out.

Lucius Fox said in TDK that 30 million people live in Gotham. :wow:

I'm sure France was a typo and you mean Paris.

Movie Ra's Al Ghul and the League of Shadows seem to target civilations and by extension cities that have become too powerful and corrupt in their eyes. Destroying Gotham is like a mercy killing to them.

Gotham's time has come.

Like Constantinople or Rome before it the city has become a breeding ground for suffering and injustice. It is beyond saving and must be allowed to die. This is the most important function of the League of Shadows. It is one we've performed for centuries. Gotham... must be destroyed.

Gotham cant be New York because Gotham is in New Jersey.

^ Yeah in the Nolanverse Gotham City replaces Chicago so NY still exists. In the golden age of comics Gotham City was located in NY.

Well, there's no reason to think Metropolis exists in the Nolanverse. Having said that, Gotham City is a mix of Chicago and New York in this movie. More so Chicago in the first. But it is more New Yorkian in the sequel, complete with ferries. But Gotham's very name implies it is a parallel of New York.

I still think it looks like Chicago in the sequel, do not see the NY aspect in any of these films. Maybe in the reboot we can get a Gotham City that looks entirely like NYC.

I still think it looks like Chicago in the sequel, do not see the NY aspect in any of these films. Maybe in the reboot we can get a Gotham City that looks entirely like NYC.

Actually, I'm hoping we'll get a Gotham City that looks entirely like Gotham City.

Gotham didn't replace Chicago in TDK. It was shot in Chicago, and therefore it looks entirely like Chicago.

Gotham is one of the most important cities of the US, regardless of which city it does or does not replace.

By the way, Frank Miller has said that Gotham is NY in nighttime, and Metropolis is NY in daytime.

Gotham didn't replace Chicago in TDK. It was shot in Chicago, and therefore it looks entirely like Chicago.

Gotham is one of the most important cities of the US, regardless of which city it does or does not replace.

By the way, Frank Miller has said that Gotham is NY in nighttime, and Metropolis is NY in daytime.

So what Chicago still existed and Gotham was just in another part of the country?

That doesn't mean Gotham and Metropolis take place in NY now.

[/B]

So what Chicago still existed and Gotham was just in another part of the country?

That doesn't mean Gotham and Metropolis take place in NY now.

Gotham wasn't meant to be Chicago. Nolan thought Chicago looked good as a setting. TDKR was shot in multiple cities. Does that mean Gotham replaces all those cities?

Frank Miller means that both Metropolis and Gotham were inspired by NYC.

I do know that Gotham was first NYC in the comics and is set around or in NJ, but what I don't know is if NYC exists in the DC Universe. I can't remember reading that anywhere.

On a semi-related note, did "Smallville" change Metropolis's location from the east coast to Kansas(?)?

I do know that Gotham was first NYC in the comics and is set around or in NJ, but what I don't know is if NYC exists in the DC Universe. I can't remember reading that anywhere.

On a semi-related note, did "Smallville" change Metropolis's location from the east coast to Kansas(?)?

I think NYC does exist in the DCU.

They moved Metropolis to Kansas so it would be close to Smallville.

I think they must have moved Metropolis, I remember once Chloe called it a ten (I think) hour round trip, which would be several time closer than, for example, New York.

Well, there's no reason to think Metropolis exists in the Nolanverse. Having said that, Gotham City is a mix of Chicago and New York in this movie. More so Chicago in the first. But it is more New Yorkian in the sequel, complete with ferries. But Gotham's very name implies it is a parallel of New York.
if I'm not mistaken metropolis is mentioned on the of the episodes if GCN on the TDK Blu Ray special features.

In the Comics New York, Gotham and Metropolis are all in the US. Gotham's location depends on the continuity.

Gotham wasn't meant to be Chicago. Nolan thought Chicago looked good as a setting. TDKR was shot in multiple cities. Does that mean Gotham replaces all those cities?

Frank Miller means that both Metropolis and Gotham were inspired by NYC.

Okay I understand now that gotham exists with all those cities in the film's universe. And I knew already Gotham and Metropolis were inspired by NY.

In all sincerity, I CANNOT BELIEVE it took this long into the thread for this to be posted:

(It's obviously because of all the characteristics this man states)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"