The future of Hulk movies

TheFantasticJoe

Civilian
Reaction score
I was wondering what the future will hold for the Incredible Hulk as far as movies within the Marvel Cinematic Universe go. It doesn't seem like there are any plans for a direct sequel, and it looks like the closest we'll be getting any time soon is the Hulk in The Avengers.

Do you think hype for The Avengers will determine the future of Hulk movies? Do you think we'll see a direct sequel that will pick up where The Incredible Hulk left off?

And for the sake of discussion, what would you like to see in potential sequels and further Hulk movies? Do you have a 'dream' Hulk movie? I'm really interested in hearing what you guys think.

I think Avengers could open up a window for a 3rd Hulk with Mark in the role, yes. I've been meaning to see the first Hulk again actually, i only ever saw it once and i barely remember it. Never saw part 2, guess nows a better time than any.

IMHO the "dream" would be a Planet Hulk/WW Hulk Trilogy. I am concerned that Hulk will be too domesticated in The Avengers, where he should be much more a loose cannon. If I were making the Avengers with an eye to Hulk's future I would end it with The Avengers and the world horrified by the Hulk's power. Add in SHEILD or the government taking steps to ultimately control him. This will make Hulk mad and set him up as a future wild card.

I'm not sure why The Hulk doesn't seem to catch on quite like the other Marvel characters, I think the inherent problem with that character in the movies is designing it so that 'Banner' (the human star of the movie) just by virtue of screen time doesn't cause the The Hulk, (the CG star of the movie) to become the co-star in his own movie. I think people would respond to those Hulk movies more with less Banner and more Hulk, but I don't know how you would fix that problem other than abandon the Banner role altogether and have Hulk be "stuck" in the transformation and be Hulk 24/7.

or..

Abandon the triggered by rage transformation and do a Hulk that is capable triggering the change voluntarily (they hinted at this at the end of the Norton movie) and write it so that Banner has come to terms with the Hulk persona and spends his time being Hulk off and on so that Hulk could share screen time during quite scenes and not limited to just battle sequences, the fugitive on the run hunted by the Army routine is getting real old real fast. Hulk of course at that point would need to be able to speak so he can interact with supporting characters rather than just roars and heavy breathing and of course give him some clothes or some type of uniform.

The character is certainly worth a third go'round after Avengers maybe even as some type of operative of S.H.I.E.L.D working in conjunction with the military instead of against them for a change .....maybe.

Last edited:
I don't know how executives or whoever are going to discern what part of The Avengers' success - if it's any successful - is due to the Hulk, Capt. America, Iron Man, etc. so they will say "Yes, Hulk is wiorthy of a sequel!"

T-CLIPSE said:
I'm not sure why The Hulk doesn't seem to catch on quite like the other Marvel characters

I still blame the 2003 Ang Lee movie, which was just weird and very noncommercial. That movie had tons of hype and a big debut, but tanked hard in its second weekend when word of mouth spread.

The 2008 movie was actually well received by audiences that did watch it, getting an "A-" grade from CinemaScore polls. But I got the feeling that many people just weren't that excited to see another Hulk movie so soon. I think the first movie unfortunately tainted this brand.

Keep casting different Bruce Banners! :awesome:

Then cast them all in the same Hulk film! :wow:

I personally quite liked Ang Lee's Hulk, but I can understand why it put off some people, since it took a much more cerebral approach than what most audiences were expecting.

i heard their makig live action tv verson of the hulk with putppteers andcgi of the hulk tv show it dont come out next year sometime. it going to have mark rufflo in it.

Last edited:
only reason ididn't likethe angess lees hulk it was boring you can tell the hulk was fake pluse when he fights it asways in the dark you coldn't se e any thing. only part i liek when they madei t look like comic book. i enjoy the incdaibel hulk with ed nortion. the hulk looked more real looking you didn't need to read the comic books or know the tv show form watching the incdaible hulk i also reocmd checking out return or trial of the hulk and death of the hhulk i reocmmed if your a fan of the old tv billy bixixy t v show

It's weird, I think the Ang Lee Hulk would have probably been a bigger success post-Dark Knight, whereas TIH would have been good back in 03, so yeah I dunno. Marvel may decide to simply keep Hulk as a permanent character in their Avengers franchise. If they were to do another solo movie I'd personally love if they did a Gladiator esq Planet Hulk film.

Do a planet Hulk movie, that's a helluva long ways away I think. Remember the spark that set off the chain of events leading to that story was the heroes' realization that the threat level Hulk posed was too high. I don't at all believe Hulk's "street cred" on Earth has been established in the MMU, since we know for a fact Banner goes months, or even years without releasing the beast. 2 or 3 sightings in a 5 year period is not enough IMO to logically jump to "Let's ship that freak to another planet ASAP!!" He'd have to do some extreme damage in the Avengers, almost as bad as Loki and whoever other villains there may be.

The Ultimate Avengers cartoon did a fine job of establishing just that with a rather limited amount of screen time for the Hulk, but then Ultimate Hulk isn't as complex as Incredible Hulk either

I'm not sure why The Hulk doesn't seem to catch on quite like the other Marvel characters, I think the inherent problem with that character in the movies is designing it so that 'Banner' (the human star of the movie) just by virtue of screen time doesn't cause the The Hulk, (the CG star of the movie) to become the co-star in his own movie. I think people would respond to those Hulk movies more with less Banner and more Hulk, but I don't know how you would fix that problem other than abandon the Banner role altogether and have Hulk be "stuck" in the transformation and be Hulk 24/7.

or..

Abandon the triggered by rage transformation and do a Hulk that is capable triggering the change voluntarily (they hinted at this at the end of the Norton movie) and write it so that Banner has come to terms with the Hulk persona and spends his time being Hulk off and on so that Hulk could share screen time during quite scenes and not limited to just battle sequences, the fugitive on the run hunted by the Army routine is getting real old real fast. Hulk of course at that point would need to be able to speak so he can interact with supporting characters rather than just roars and heavy breathing and of course give him some clothes or some type of uniform.

The character is certainly worth a third go'round after Avengers maybe even as some type of operative of S.H.I.E.L.D working in conjunction with the military instead of against them for a change .....maybe.

I think with that being said we WILL see another Hulk movie. Because that had to become true for him to become part of the Avengers, He has to function as Hulk and work with the team.

I like the idea of Banner coming to terms with Hulk and being able to have Hulk around in quiet times as well. I think Planet Hulk, while cool, is still WAAAAAY too early. We're just now seeing him be seen as a hero and on a team. He's always being shown as rampaging and such, we've yet to see him in a harmonized role. I'm not saying kill off the action, I'm saying keep and escalate the action, but finally give Hulk in the cinema some unexplored points of depth that were previously just touched upon.

agreed, I'd love for them to just give a hulk with an expanded personality. a hulk has dark humor, yet is quiet and brooding. and interpersonal conversations between banner and hulk, with banner knowing that he must let hulk out and trust him in order to save the world, even if hulk won't let him back out. i would love to see them put hulk up against leader and a further mutated abomination who is manipulated by sterns and blames banner for not being able to turn back to normal (more comic like appearance for abomy, instead of scales maybe give him thick, hard, dry skin with a green brown coloring).

You can tell the Planet Hulk story without having the original set-up. Hell, having a set-up which doesn't involve other characters would be better as doing that would only taint every other character. How would it look to an audience if the Avengers and SHIELD all agreed to banish Hulk to another planet? They'd all come off looking like bastards, just as they did in the comics. And unlike the comics, you wouldn't have dozens of issues to fix their image in the eyes of the viewing public. You throw that stinkbomb into a theater and you're never going to get the smell out.

A better idea would be for one of Hulk's enemies, like the Leader, to be the one to get him stranded offworld.

Ok Off Topic question. Do you think the bit pieces they are showing us in the Avengers trailer is to hold back the surprise of how they have figured out the Character?

My two cents.

Bruce leave the team and run away to find out Betty, because he love her.

The Leader as the villain. More Doc Samson. Put in also Rick Jones, finally.

If they wanna put in Ross, maybe they can add Talbot. Yes, I Know there is in Hulk's movie but i like him as a character

Ok Off Topic question. Do you think the bit pieces they are showing us in the Avengers trailer is to hold back the surprise of how they have figured out the Character?

I'm not quite sure what you mean?

The future of Hulk lies in TV, not the movies. Guillermo Del Toro is developing a TV series for ABC, and I'm sure that, regardless of the success or failure of Avengers, Marvel is going to concentrate on putting Hulk on TV instead of future movies. I'd be surprised if he returned for Avengers 2, and I just don't believe there's a snowball's chance in Hell that TIH2 is ever going to become a thing.

I'd like to see the Hulk kind of go the way of the Ultimate Avengers animated movie Hulk. In that when he finally changes, he helps out the Avengers and then after the main threat is neutralized he lays waste to the rest of the team. Instead of Tranquilizing him he jumps off at the end of the film. A post credit scene could possibly just have him in the Canadian forests and all you hear is a giant Hulk roar. That would be a great way to lead into a stand-alone Hulk film and could even serve as a starting point the live action hulk tv series that I've heard about.

I mean are they holding back shots of the Hulk from the trailers to surprise us when we go see the Movie.

Oh right, well to be honest I'm not sure. I think it's just difficult to show enough of the Hulk when there's several other actors sharing the spotlight.

The future of Hulk lies in TV, not the movies. Guillermo Del Toro is developing a TV series for ABC, and I'm sure that, regardless of the success or failure of Avengers, Marvel is going to concentrate on putting Hulk on TV instead of future movies. I'd be surprised if he returned for Avengers 2, and I just don't believe there's a snowball's chance in Hell that TIH2 is ever going to become a thing.

My guts tell me you're right.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"