The future of Hulk movies

the only thing about the TIH tv show I'm really hesitant about is how its going to be executed. CG needs to be top notch, and hulks villains need good development. I feel like we'll be cheated of we get a watered down villain of the week like smallville did, and we can't just have a rehash of the old show.
It'd be best for marvel to just finish what they started in TIH, but they have to actually give it a chance.

The future of Hulk lies in TV, not the movies. Guillermo Del Toro is developing a TV series for ABC, and I'm sure that, regardless of the success or failure of Avengers, Marvel is going to concentrate on putting Hulk on TV instead of future movies. I'd be surprised if he returned for Avengers 2, and I just don't believe there's a snowball's chance in Hell that TIH2 is ever going to become a thing.

That's disappointing, as the budget needed to make the Hulk look as good as it did in TIH exceeds that of a regular television program. Now, if HBO or Show Time were handling it, I would say it would have a better chance. In addition to the transformations, they are going to have to minimize the stunts, and when you cut back the action, it's going to be detrimental for the entry. Other Avengers would work in the network format, but the Hulk will not. It's going to look like **** or be a disappointment to the fans who want the transformation and resultant destruction.

And, I do not know if Del Toro is the best person to handle the Hulk. He is a visionary, but I do not know if his sensibilities will work well for the Hulk (it's the same problem posed if they brought Tim Burton on the project.) Del Toro should be directing the 'Thor' sequel.

But, there's a chance my concern might be misplaced.

Returning to the prior thread, I doubt that Marvel is going to jettison the Hulk from their cinematic lineup, considering the contracts they made for Letterier and Roth (of course, they might opt to pursue the route Warner Brothers did when they wanted Tommy Lee Jones as Two-Face.)

Anyway, they are probably going to have to recast Elizabeth Ross, as there is a significant chance the chemistry between Norton and her might not be replicated with Ruffalo (and this is not a slight against him; while I enjoyed Norton's performance, I do not want the film to have an internal problems, so I hope they would have verify that Norton and Tyler will work together well before committing anything to film. I want the film to succeed.)

Again, I am not an executive, so I could be wrong about everything. Or, entirely correct.

Simply put, there is no way that a (non HBO) television series would do the character or his villains/ supporting cast any justice. As others have said the technology and scale required just wouldn't be there. I'm fully expecting another Smallville :csad:

the chances are better than a Green Lantern sequel, but not as good as that of the (still unconfirmed) Captain America sequel.

I hope the other 2014 movie is a TIH2, and most of us expect the unconfirmed cap movie to be one of those 2014 lineups.

Keeping my fingers crossed. I also hope ILM can stick as the VFX house providing the effects for Hulk.

They're my favorite by far.

Do a planet Hulk movie, that's a helluva long ways away I think. Remember the spark that set off the chain of events leading to that story was the heroes' realization that the threat level Hulk posed was too high. I don't at all believe Hulk's "street cred" on Earth has been established in the MMU, since we know for a fact Banner goes months, or even years without releasing the beast. 2 or 3 sightings in a 5 year period is not enough IMO to logically jump to "Let's ship that freak to another planet ASAP!!" He'd have to do some extreme damage in the Avengers, almost as bad as Loki and whoever other villains there may be.

The Ultimate Avengers cartoon did a fine job of establishing just that with a rather limited amount of screen time for the Hulk, but then Ultimate Hulk isn't as complex as Incredible Hulk either
That bold made me laugh so hard cause I just pictured the Avengers being like "WOAH!:eek: You made 3 appearances in the last 5 years, you need to calm down there buddy." And then shipping off a really confused Bruce.

the chances are better than a Green Lantern sequel, but not as good as that of the (still unconfirmed) Captain America sequel.

I'm gonna go out even further on this unsturdy limb, and say that not only will we not see a TIH2, but we won't see a CATFA2, either.

Again, I think that Marvel will put their big green Hulk eggs into the TV basket and trust in GDT. And again a hunch, but my guess is that --- after CATFA didn't exactly light up the box office, either --- Marvel's plan for Cap may steer clear of a solo series and instead focus on him as the leader of the Avengers.

I really hope the show is a great prequel run Into the hulk reboot (2008) and that we see a true sequel in the next couple years.
Hulk jumping the Aliens in the Avengers trailer was epic.

I like the idea of a prequel run, it doesn't have to be one of these overlong series, maybe like two seasons to explain the 5 years before TIH. Although they are planning the tv series, its funny, because Tim Blake Nelson is still contracted for another movie, if not a couple more, which clearly means the Leader is in the works. Unless they use Leader in an Avengers film (Gamma World from EMH as a reference point?)

If Hulk is received well in Avengers and they do a sequel with the Leader, I'd like to see in addition to his intelligence being boosted, have his obsession with Hulk's power go to crazy levels too. Sort of how the '96 cartoon was, in between the individual episodes there was still that overall arc of the leader trying to still hulk's power. You can introduce hulked out mutants and henchmen as well since the leader isn't really a fighter for the most part.

Of course you can have shorter seasons that scope a larger amount of time if you want to fully explain each of the years and whatnot, since squeezing 5 years into a couple of seasons might be a bit much

all of that works well, throw in a vengeful abomination and you have one hell of a sequel.

So is this new Hulk show that GDT is developing in cannon with TIH and the rest of the MCU, or it's own seperate universe?

It will have it's own continuity. Del Toro said so a couple of months back.

That's okay because I didn't expect Ruffalo to be in the series anyway. I hope it goes ahead.

I'm gonna go out even further on this unsturdy limb, and say that not only will we not see a TIH2, but we won't see a CATFA2, either.

Again, I think that Marvel will put their big green Hulk eggs into the TV basket and trust in GDT. And again a hunch, but my guess is that --- after CATFA didn't exactly light up the box office, either --- Marvel's plan for Cap may steer clear of a solo series and instead focus on him as the leader of the Avengers.

Captain America was profitable; The Incredible Hulk wasn't.

Both were profitable since neither made a loss at the box office overall.

The Studio only gets half of each ticket sale, so for the 150 M budget Incredible Hulk, they made 130 Million dollars. Budgets also negate promotional costs.

Rule of thumb is that a movie needs to make 2.5 times it's budget to make a profit. For The Incredible Hulk, that would've been 375 Million dollars WW, a figure it was over a hundred million dollars away from.

The Studio only gets half of each ticket sale, so for the 150 M budget Incredible Hulk, they made 130 Million dollars. Budgets also negate promotional costs.

Rule of thumb is that a movie needs to make 2.5 times it's budget to make a profit. For The Incredible Hulk, that would've been 375 Million dollars WW, a figure it was over a hundred million dollars away from.

Does that include DVD/Bluray sales?

Part of the problem with this and all comicbook movies IS the expectation (and preference) for furious action rather than character development.

I grew up reading these books and many ARE action packed but the stories that really stuck with me were the the CHARACTER driven stories. The stories where the character is stripped down to his very core. I didn't love the Hulk because he is the strongest there is, I loved him because he was messed up, and beyond control and I loved the drama of his condition, I loved the struggle of his character. The moral pacifist Bruce Banner an unwilling host for one of the most terrifying forces on the planet.

That being said, I believe many comicbook characters can be developed on TV with focus on character and downplaying the action. I'm not saying remove the violence, I'm saying ration it. A well paced story with solid character development can take you a long way. But when the action hits, do it right. Make it jawdropping.

Look at Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. All solid in their own right but the unifying factor is that they focus on developing characters and story with great action and violence thrown in occasionally. The same could be done for the Jekyll/Hyde story of the Hulk. Now sure I would prefer action get ramped up quite a bit for the Hulk but I can accept fewer action pieces for great story and characters. I am not a person who believes that a TV series needs to have over the top action every episode. As long as the story is always moving forward and there are interesting characters I am happy. However, I expect my patience should be rewarded with mindblowing action/violent sequences at several points in a season. A great example of this type of show is Battlestar Galactica.

So IMO The Hulk might actually work best on TV in the right hands. Just pace the story well, focus on characters and occasionally blow my mind. Could be a grreat show.

Part of the problem with this and all comicbook movies IS the expectation (and preference) for furious action rather than character development.

I grew up reading these books and many ARE action packed but the stories that really stuck with me were the the CHARACTER driven stories. The stories where the character is stripped down to his very core. I didn't love the Hulk because he is the strongest there is, I loved him because he was messed up, and beyond control and I loved the drama of his condition, I loved the struggle of his character. The moral pacifist Bruce Banner an unwilling host for one of the most terrifying forces on the planet.

That being said, I believe many comicbook characters can be developed on TV with focus on character and downplaying the action. I'm not saying remove the violence, I'm saying ration it. A well paced story with solid character development can take you a long way. But when the action hits, do it right. Make it jawdropping.

Look at Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones and Walking Dead. All solid in their own right but the unifying factor is that they focus on developing characters and story with great action and violence thrown in occasionally. The same could be done for the Jekyll/Hyde story of the Hulk. Now sure I would prefer action get ramped up quite a bit for the Hulk but I can accept fewer action pieces for great story and characters. I am not a person who believes that a TV series needs to have over the top action every episode. As long as the story is always moving forward and there are interesting characters I am happy. However, I expect my patience should be rewarded with mindblowing action/violent sequences at several points in a season. A great example of this type of show is Battlestar Galactica.

So IMO The Hulk might actually work best on TV in the right hands. Just pace the story well, focus on characters and occasionally blow my mind. Could be a grreat show.

Outstanding post. I agree 100 percent.

I couldn't agree more. :up: The Hulk is a very complex character, with many aspects to be explored. With the right tone, the TV show could be amazing, specially in the hands of DelToro, who thoroughly knows Hulk's mythology.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"