The Future of the "Abramsverse"

Soapy

Avenger
Reaction score
For the most part, the reboot is filled with younger actors with careers on the rise. I'm assuming that this current series will get two or three more sequels before they need a new cast or just want to do something different and mix things up.

How will you want them to proceed? Keep the same characters, but recast if necessary? A direct continuation with Kirk handing over the keys to a new crew? A reboot of The Next Generation? Or something completely different?

I think I would like to see an end story that reverses/negates the incursion of the Narada and restores the timeline.

First of all, let me start by saying that I really, really hope the current crew, Pine and Quinto included, stay on and do more than just 3 movies.

That stated, and knowing the business is what it is today, I think the trilogy limitation opens up the possibility of more innovative storytelling in future movies in TOS canon.

Let's say for instance Pine, Quinto, Saldana and Urban decline to sign on for any more movies. They can do a movie about the USS Excelsior commanded by Hikaru Sulu (I doubt Jon Cho would pass up such an opportunity). I am not naive enough to think that Sulu could carry a movie as the starring role, but as captain, he can be the supporting character for a host of brand new characters.

Like maybe the real protagonist is the First Officer, or Lt. Commander or something. A young, cocky dude or grrrl who the audience can root for, but doesn't get unrealistically promoted to Captain so fast. A character of lesser rank who it makes more sense to be sending on dangerous and action-packed ground missions.

I want to see Chris O'Dowd play Harry Mudd.

77QgtUt.jpg

Possibly a good development, though I like JJ. If another good director takes over, it becomes more about Star Trek, and less about JJ Abrams' Star Trek.

How far should the Abramsverse go? A trilogy? Quadrilogy?

If a TV series gets developed in the original timeline, then we could have movies based on that series I suppose.

There will probally be a third film with present actors.beyond that who know.

Now that JJ Abrams is directing Star Wars Episode VII, does anyone think that he is going to continue to make Star Trek films? Kind of worried now.

There will probally be a third film with present actors.beyond that who know.

Yeah, I would say the actors are definitely locked in for one more. I imagine after that there will probably be a break while Paramount figures out what they want to do with the franchise next.

Now that JJ Abrams is directing Star Wars Episode VII, does anyone think that he is going to continue to make Star Trek films? Kind of worried now.

I don't think there's anything to be worried about. I highly doubt he wants, or even has the energy or the desire, to spearhead both of these huge, kind of similar franchises.

The thing that worries me though, is that the people who run these huge companies can very petty and willing to spend a lot of money to screw their competitors. I wonder if Paramount feels at all burned by Abrahms, and would they be willing to fast track Star Trek 3 to release alongside Episode VII as a **** you to Abrams and Disney and to take as much away from Star Wars as they can?

^^^
I don't think that either studio are that stupid to pitch their biggest Science Fiction franchises up against each other.

No one would win. It would simply hurt both films box office.

I'd hate to see recasts. Just pass the torch to a future crew, just like Trek has always done. Jump ahead a decade or so, set up a new ship and a new crew, like the Excelsior as someone else mentioned, or something new altogether. If they want to keep ties with traditional Trek, could be fun to see how a young Picard got his stripes. As long as they don't make him a carbon copy of Nu-Kirk.

Even if it's 5+ years until a third movie, the cast are still going to be young enough.

I think it highly likely that they will try to tie in with the 50th anniversary. JJ won't direct, I can't see it anyway. Very likely to stop at a trilogy of sorts with this. Take some time and decide where to go next. I would not be at all surprised to see the TNG recast. This timeline seems to be about destinies. The destinies of people who will cross paths, no matter what. Will hold true for TNG as well. Prepare for Data and Troi to get it on though, ala Spock/Uhura, only Data will have emotions from the get go. LOL.

With the idea of destinies in mind, I could easily see Chang or Kang in NuTrek 3,
The impending war with the Klingons, reminiscent of the desired war in TUC, alluded to in STID, and the fact that we still haven't seen them properly as villains, makes me think if they have already got ideas in the pipeline, they may be heading that way. Bring on the Klingons
Take someone that has appeared in the original canon, and have them destined to meet in this timeline as well.

The cast they have is terrific (and in some cases, better than that of the Original series,) and I would like to see more films with them. However, I would prefer the creative team create new villains than recycling them from the canon. There is a ripe timelime at their disposal, and anything is possible; I do not want carbon copies of TOS episodes and films (I have them on iTunes, DVD, and Blu Ray at home; I do not want to pay $20 going to the movies to see a story that I already have at home.)

I'd like to see a sequel that stars Mudd and focuses on either Klingons or Borg.

I think they need more than one more movie. I'd like to see at least two movies deal with their five year mission.

I don't ever want to see a recast of this crew. It's already been done once, and I'd hate to see Star Trek become like James Bond. They need to age. They probably won't stay on long enough for us to see a retirement movie, but I'd rather they eventually move on with a new crew. I'm honestly not sure how a brand new crew would work in the movies. That is, after all, why they rebooted the original series.

So I would assume the next crew would be a leap in the future and reboot TNG and DS9. Maybe combine the best characters from each crew (since the altered timeline would mean the TNG crew wouldn't necessarily all end up together anymore).

I'm not sure I like that idea. Honestly, I don't see where they go after this crew.

Some interesting things they could try in the next few movies:

1) The crew fighting the Enterprise. Have it be taken over by a hostile force and Kirk and company somehow end up with a Klingon Bird of Prey (as they did in IV).

2) Klingons. Not necessarily as pure bad guys, but as rivals. It'd be interesting to see them team up to take on a bad guy again.

3) Scientific exploration. I'm not huge on the science aspect of Trek, but I do like the exploration. I'd like to see them actually land on a planet and interact with a strange civilization, as they did in the show.

Oh, and NO BORG.

I may be the only one here who would love to see Balok as a movie threat.

Balok still gives me the shivers & if updated with similar evil look gets my vote.

Simon Pegg also mentioned being affraid of Balok as a child.

Anyone for Balok? :wow::yay::woot: I always thought Cumberbatch had the facial structure to be Balok.

th

th

Last edited:
I may be the only one here who would love to see Balok as a movie threat.

Balok still gives me the shivers & if updated with similar evil look gets my vote.

Simon Pegg also mentioned being affraid of Balok as a child.

Anyone for Balok? :wow::yay::woot: I always thought Cumberbatch had the facial structure to be Balok.

th

th

Bill Nighy for Balok! :D
bill-nighy-2-sized.jpg

I want to see Chris O'Dowd play Harry Mudd.

77QgtUt.jpg

I also think this is a fantastic casting choice. :up:

I'd like to see a sequel that stars Mudd and focuses on either Klingons or Borg.

I'd actually love to see the Borg Queen and the collective as well. They could be a truely Dangerous threat which would be out of left field for this crew.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"