Transformers The G-1 References Thread

references:

Decepticons ending up in the deepest parts of the ocean (cartoon)

Jazz dancing (cartoon)

Ummm...suddenly my mind went blank

Well, the sound didn't play then but I'm sure I heard it a few other times during the movie, so it was still in there.

The Holographic drivers are actually from the first episode of G1...Hound is showing off what he can do to Spike and makes a holographic driver

Pretty much most of the comedy involving Sam trying to hide them is something that would have happened in the original cartoon. They went from serious action to straight goofball antics on that show all the time so I don't see it as out of place.

Megatron growling "PRIIIMMMMEEE!"

Can someone check their old GI JOE vs. Transformers comic and see if Lennox's name shows up?

Supposedly that's a G1 nod as well.

I loved how the movie slammed both Volkswagen and Porsche for not letting them use their cars, and also a nice little G1 nod.

I am not exactly sure if this is a nod, but Megatron's alternate form is of a Cybertronian Jet (an awesome jet btw), but his weapon in robot form was of a huge gun that was formed with his hands. I'd like to think that was a little nod to his G1 alternate form in the cartoons.

^ you mean the Observatory in Nevada?

I don't know if it was posted already, but....

In Megatron and Optimus' fight, Optimus says "One shall stand, one shall fall" much like their fight in the original movie.

Yeah, he says it first when the backup arrives for Simmons and his men...

Hmmm...While Bumblebee was getting caught, I wonder how the others got away...

-TNC

How bout ironhide telling sam that the rodent was "leaking lubricant" all over his foot. Same line different approach...heehee

I loved how the movie slammed both Volkswagen and Porsche for not letting them use their cars, and also a nice little G1 nod.

I'm not sure if that is accurate b/c I came across this:

Don Murphy wanted to retain Bumblebee's Volkswagen Beetle form,[39] but Bay rejected it to avoid comparisons with Herbie the Love Bug,[40] and chose the Chevrolet Camaro instead, which he described as having a friendly quality.[37] The other Autobots also became GM-owned vehicles in a product placement deal that saved $3 million,[3] though Bay hoped they would have supplied a bigger car than the Pontiac Solstice for Jazz.[32]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_(film)#Design

I don't know if it was posted already, but....

In Megatron and Optimus' fight, Optimus says "One shall stand, one shall fall" much like their fight in the original movie.
Yeah, I posted that a few lines back. It was nice that it was in there.

I'm not sure if that is accurate b/c I came across this:

Don Murphy wanted to retain Bumblebee's Volkswagen Beetle form,[39] but Bay rejected it to avoid comparisons with Herbie the Love Bug,[40] and chose the Chevrolet Camaro instead, which he described as having a friendly quality.[37] The other Autobots also became GM-owned vehicles in a product placement deal that saved $3 million,[3] though Bay hoped they would have supplied a bigger car than the Pontiac Solstice for Jazz.[32]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transformers_(film)#Design

That's one version of the story, at least. :o

Anyway, I'm glad they went with the Camero for Bumblebee rather than a Bug, because I agree that there would have been too many comparisons to Herbie. Especially since Bumblebee is mute in the movie. He literally would have been the love bug with a new paint job and the ability to turn into a robot! Going with the Camero worked better for the story, and it also helped distance Bumblebee from Herbie. Seriously, the entire audience in my theater cheered when Bumblebee took on the 2007 Camero alt form. I don't think the reaction would've been the same if he'd gone from a 60's Beetle to a New Beetle.

Also a Camaro wouldn't have really fit into the sub-plot love story. I doubt any girl would take a ride with a guy who drives a yellow beetle :o

For that matter, what kid in his right mind would pick a Beetle as their first car? Hence the funny scene at the car lot. :D

Some you guys missed.

-Megatron calling Sam a "fleshling", nearly indentical to flesh-creature. Megatrons favorite term for describing humans in the G1 cartoon.

-The hand morphing into weapons/tools (on a few characters) is a nod to the same feature some TF's had in the G1 cartoon pilot "More than meets the eye" (and infrequently throughout the first season). Primes axe, Megatron's flail, Starscreams missile launcher (although moved from Shywarp to SS), and Rachets repair beam.

Yeah I think most people noticed, another nice nod to G1

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"