• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

The Godfather, Part III

Warhammer

Half Monk, Half Hitman
Reaction score
Was The Godfather, Part III really the movie that killed the Godfather franchise, or was it good movie, only considered the weakest entry?

In your opinion, What did you think?

:cool:

I liked it. There was no way it could be better than Part II, but Part III is better than many sequels.

The Godfather franchise died with Mario Puzo. No one else can surpass his writing

For sure the weakest entry, but so what? the other two BOTH won the friggin' academy award (back when it meant something) for Best Picture. Plus, it's still done by Coppola. Pacino is great, along w/the rest of the cast. It's tone is very Operatic, appropriate in several ways. It's a good movie, and was intended as a bookend of sorts. In fact, Coppola himself said he wished it would have been titled "the death of Michael Corleone" instead b/c of the stigma it carried following the first two.

I didn't like it. The subplot about the Pope was extremely boring and don't get me started on the romance.

Al was excellent though, as always.

No way did it kill the franchise, I firmly believe its the best trilogy ever. The romance was weak, and Carmines right about the subplot, and the plot is a bit of a rehash of Godfather Part I. On that note, I really enjoy Pacino and Garcia and the Helicopter scene is very cool.

I miss Tom Hagen in it a lot

Agreed. It is definately not on par with GF I & II but it is still a very good film in its own right.

QUESTION: Why does Al Pacino talk that way nowadays? Is it an acting technique?

It was disappointment, but still not bad movie at all.

LostSon88 said:

He has become a lazy check-casher who basically now mails in all of his roles (a shame as well because the young Pacino was one of the all time best actors).

LostSon88 said:

If you mean why his voice sounds so raspy, it's because of cigarette abuse, I think.

As for the film, if you view it on its own, and choose to ignore the sheer brilliance of the first two films, it's not a bad film. However, in comparison to them, it fails in most aspects. It gets very drawn out, great actors are wasted, there are some plot holes (what happened to Tom Hagen?), Sophia Coppolla transcends the barriers of awfulness with her performance, and the subplot was dumb and uninteresting.

There are some high points. Al is brilliant is always, Garcia was entertaining, and the scenes in Italy were absolutely beautiful.

Al's NEVER a lazy actor, he's just had SO many quality roles, it became inevitable that would become a characiture of himself...and he did. In fact, I know the exact moment in time where it happened in his professional career.

The EXACT moment came during that monologue at the end of "The Devil's Advocate" back in 1997, then poof! Think about it, since then he does "Pacino 'doing Pacino'": Any Given Sunday, Two For the Money, likely Ocean's 13...

But, you can't say he's a lazy actor b/c look at the work he did for the HBO miniseries, "Angels in America"...he took home the golden globe for it, still proving he can go out on a limb when called to.

Godfather III as stated by Coppola was done for purely financial reasons because of a failure of a previous movie.

Robert Duvall did not reappear in Godfather 3 because he demanded the same salary as Al Pacino. He was written out of the story when they didn't want to pay him the same.

Too bad, Duvall would have really brought addition Uumph to the movie!

it was good, just not as good as Part one and two. Plus I think their should've been more likeness from Pt 1 and 2 and done in the same style.

Personally I think it would be better if Coppla was in his prime, like in the 1980's.

IMO GF3 wasn't as good as the other ones. I was expecting more from Andy Garcia's character.

I thought he would've been a great vehicle to really show how things had changed in the mafia, from the more button down old school ways to the more flashy 70s/80s.

What I was also hoping was that Talia Shire would be grooming Andy to take out Michael after she learned about Michael taking out Fredo. It would've gave the movie more of a Greek tragedy feel.

Plus, Michael's daughter-Sophia Coppola?-wasn't that strong an actress. At least in that role.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stryderzer0
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"