The Godfather vs. The Godfather Part II

The mixture of bringing Duvall back and finding at least a passable actress for Mary would've improved Part III tenfold.

Well maybe not tenfold, but still a whole lot...

I actually don't mind Part III all that much, and I think it might have been close to the greatness of the first two if Robert Duvall had come back and if they cast someone else as Mary Corleone.

I think what makes III not as good is Sofia's acting. It really was horrible :csad:, but overall i liked Michael's story in this one, and of course it has a quote i adore: "Just when i thought i was out they pull me back in!". I still like this one.

Choosing between Godfather I and II is almost impossible for me, because i really think they're both masterpieces and i adore them. I'll have to go with I, but only by a hair; II is very close behind.

I liked III too. I really liked Vincent's story arc and how Michael was teaching him. Trying to shape him into a great leader of the family, but also to be a better man than he was.

Agreed with all of this.

The opera scene was pretty great though. Well staged.

I forgot Coppola was broke on the first. But did he do the first mainly because he loved the material or it was strictly because he needed the money?

There's so much about Part II I love. I love that birthday scene with the old cast back. It's eerie and nostalgic at the same time. How it ends with Michael alone at the table is fantastic.

The single thing that pisses me off the most about Part III is the ten minute recap of the last two films. Seriously? People haven't watched the first two films enough in the past 20 years already, they're not going to know what happened beforehand?

As a matter of fact, Coppola HATED the material. Apparently, he couldn't get past the first fifty pages of the novel without 'wanting to vomit'. The only reason he ended up doing it was because Lucas had gotten Coppola in the hole when Coppola decided to help produce THX 1138.

Slight edge to Part II for its level of ambition (the greatest sequel AND prequel ever in the same package). Both films are in my all-time top 5.

This is tough. One is arguably the greatest movie ever made. The other is arguably the greatest sequel ever made. Decisions, decisions.

I felt 1 was slightly better than 2,..1 was more emotional and more personal, you were rooting and felt sorry for Michael.

2 felt too distant, I didn't care for the whole investigation storyline. I felt the 'prequel' portion of 2 where Vito gets revenge for his mother's death was the more interesting story. 2 was still good, just not as good as 1.

As a matter of fact, Coppola HATED the material. Apparently, he couldn't get past the first fifty pages of the novel without 'wanting to vomit'. The only reason he ended up doing it was because Lucas had gotten Coppola in the hole when Coppola decided to help produce THX 1138.

Really? Wow, I didn't know that.

Its too close for me to call because Part I and II are brilliant. If someone put a gun to my head I'd probably say Part I.

I've always wondered what Part III would've been like had Duvall not opted out...

I recall them saying that the story was intended to be about the deterioration of the Tom Hagen/Michael Corleone relationship.

I prefer Part I, although I'll readily admit I think they're both overrated.

I like the Vito backstory in Part II, but was never big on Michael's downfall... It felt all over the place to me.

Michael's transformation in the first one is great.

This is a real tough one. Both were very well acted. Marlon Brando's reaction when Tom tells him that Michael was the one who executes Sollozzo and McCluskey is just :up:.

But I did like Michael's downfall in the 2nd one and of course the whole Vito backstory.

I really go back and forth depending on the day. I really could talk about the movies and the characters ad nauseum.

One of my favorite conversations to have what if Apollonia survived. I feel she would have made a better wife to Michael than Kay. I loved the way Diane Keaton played her but the character itself I never liked. The part in sequel where he closes the door on her is one of my favorites.

Apollina always represented that thing he probably could never have had when he made the choice to murder. When she exploded in the car, it pretty much symbolized whatever happiness he thought he could have and hide from the rest of the world, was gone. It's interesting because Apollina could have really been his wife and made him straight again. That's why it's interesting they go back to Sicily in the third. Alot of important stuff happened in Michael's and Vito's life there.

Yeah, pretty crazy considering that we ended up with two of the greatest movies of all time.

So the moral here is, whenever you do a film for the wrong reasons, you will make a masterpiece. :awesome:

And it's funny, anyone notice that most troubled productions turn out to be classics and huge successes and both?

So the moral here is, whenever you do a film for the wrong reasons, you will make a masterpiece. :awesome:

And it's funny, anyone notice that most troubled productions turn out to be classics and huge successes and both?
:hehe:

And yeah, with JAWS immediately coming to mind, along with The Shining.

And Star Wars and ESB. Apocalypse Now too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"