The Guns thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's something to debate. Insurance for gun owners. Should gun owners be required to carry insurance to cover anything bad that might happen associated with their gun?

Example: A man was handling his gun in his apartment and shot himself in the foot and it went through the floor and hit a kid in the apt below while they were in bed.

Now I am of the mindset that there is no such thing as an "accident" with a gun. Oh sure you may not have meant for it to go off but ,and pay attention here, they do not go off on their own. Somehow he was mishandling the gun.

We've seen it time and again people improperly secure their weapons and kids get their hands on them ,or they themselves mishandle them and "accidents" occur.

So above and beyond a civil suit for damages I think it would be a great idea if we could require gun owners to have insurance to cover such things. And there should also be minimum charges for reckless endangerment,negligent homicide etc.. that are mandatorily applied to such "accidents" also.

I think this is a fantastic idea and one of those common sense ones. We have insurance for other aspects in our lives (home, car, boat, health, etc.) so why not have one for guns.

Here's something to debate. Insurance for gun owners. Should gun owners be required to carry insurance to cover anything bad that might happen associated with their gun?

Example: A man was handling his gun in his apartment and shot himself in the foot and it went through the floor and hit a kid in the apt below while they were in bed.

Now I am of the mindset that there is no such thing as an "accident" with a gun. Oh sure you may not have meant for it to go off but ,and pay attention here, they do not go off on their own. Somehow he was mishandling the gun.

We've seen it time and again people improperly secure their weapons and kids get their hands on them ,or they themselves mishandle them and "accidents" occur.

So above and beyond a civil suit for damages I think it would be a great idea if we could require gun owners to have insurance to cover such things. And there should also be minimum charges for reckless endangerment,negligent homicide etc.. that are mandatorily applied to such "accidents" also.

I would like to see new regulation that require that all new manufactured Guns have a Biometric safety switch built into the weapon.

I would like to see new regulation that require that all new manufactured Guns have a Biometric safety switch built into the weapon.

Those are great ideas.What's stopping their implementation now?

My biggest concern is the media and majority of people demonizing and blaming firearms during shootings, whether is be a mass shooting or a homicide. The gun did not kill anyone. The person using the firearm is the one that killed someone. The person should be held responsible, accountable, demonized and blamed. Not the firearm.
Sure I will agree that a firearm is more dangerous than a knife, baseball bat, sword, fists, whatever else you can use. But that is my point.
If I have my mind set on doing someone harm. I does not take a firearm to harm/kill that person. It can easily be done with bare hands, knife, bat, sword, poison, whatever else.
The point is, there are sick people in this world that will do harm in any possible way they can. Its a people problem, not a gun problem. We live in a generation now where people expect handouts, don't know how to work or earn. We live in a time when people don't know how to take responsibility for their actions. Its a time when people want to blame everything or everyone but themselves or the actual guilty party/person.

Just my .2 cents.

My biggest concern is the media and majority of people demonizing and blaming firearms during shootings, whether is be a mass shooting or a homicide. The gun did not kill anyone. The person using the firearm is the one that killed someone. The person should be held responsible, accountable, demonized and blamed. Not the firearm.
Sure I will agree that a firearm is more dangerous than a knife, baseball bat, sword, fists, whatever else you can use. But that is my point.
If I have my mind set on doing someone harm. I does not take a firearm to harm/kill that person. It can easily be done with bare hands, knife, bat, sword, poison, whatever else.
The point is, there are sick people in this world that will do harm in any possible way they can. Its a people problem, not a gun problem. We live in a generation now where people expect handouts, don't know how to work or earn. We live in a time when people don't know how to take responsibility for their actions. Its a time when people want to blame everything or everyone but themselves or the actual guilty party/person.

Just my .2 cents.

Nobody is making that argument and you are missing the point. It's much more than a "people" problem or a "gun" problem. There are many factors that contribute to the problem, but the biggest of them is the fact that it's easy to gain access to a firearm with little to no hassle in this country regardless of criminal history or mental stability. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. We need to make sure the people who want to use these things for bad purposes can't get ahold of them if possible. Nobody ever expects it to be perfect, but the fact that places like the NRA won't even open a dialogue about common sense steps to prevent these types of tragedies is a big issue. Nobody in their right minds thinks it's even remotely possible to go around and take everyone's damn guns

Nobody is making that argument and you are missing the point. It's much more than a "people" problem or a "gun" problem. There are many factors that contribute to the problem, but the biggest of them is the fact that it's easy to gain access to a firearm with little to no hassle in this country regardless of criminal history or mental stability. THAT IS THE PROBLEM. We need to make sure the people who want to use these things for bad purposes can't get ahold of them if possible. Nobody ever expects it to be perfect, but the fact that places like the NRA won't even open a dialogue about common sense steps to prevent these types of tragedies is a big issue. Nobody in their right minds thinks it's even remotely possible to go around and take everyone's damn guns

I was not saying anyone was making "that argument" I even started my post with "My biggest concern". I was just sharing my opinion related to the subject as all.

I can agree there should be a way to make it harder for criminals to be able to obtain guns. But how is the question. You can say that if you are a criminal you cannot own a gun but that wont stop them. Meth is illegal too but people still make it, sell it, use it on a daily basis and go undetected. So what steps can you take? Even if you say well register all firearms, that wont work either, the criminals and bad guys will not register their firearms. I'm not arguing, I would love to see it tougher for criminals to own guns, but how do you do that without making it tougher for law abiding citizens to own guns as well?

Last edited:
I was not saying anyone was making "that argument" I even started my post with "My biggest concern". I was just sharing my opinion related to the subject as all.

I can agree there should be a way to make it harder for criminals to be able to obtain guns. But how is the question. You can say that if you are a criminal you cannot own a gun but that wont stop them. Meth is illegal too but people still make it, sell it, use it on a daily basis and go undetected. So what steps can you take? Even if you say well register all firearms, that wont work either, the criminals and bad guys will not register their firearms. I'm not arguing, I would love to see it tougher for criminals to own guns, but how do you do that without making it tougher for law abiding citizens to own guns as well?

It's that kind of backwards thinking that causes nothing to get done with gun control. The whole "Gee golly guns are everywhere and criminals get them anyway so may as well not do anything about." That's moronic, we have plenty of options that we can enact that would be a minor annoyance for law abiding citizens at best. We have technology to ensure that only the owner of the weapon is able to discharge it, we can do extensive background checks and mental health screenings to make sure we aren't giving guns to nut jobs (this can be done during the mandatory 7 day waiting period already required), we can require all sales private and through gun shops go through a licensed individual to keep track of where these guns are going, and those are just the things I can think off the top of my head. Of course we aren't going to be able to track all the guns everywhere at first but we have to start somewhere and eventually we can have a good handle on the problem

It's that kind of backwards thinking that causes nothing to get done with gun control. The whole "Gee golly guns are everywhere and criminals get them anyway so may as well not do anything about." That's moronic, we have plenty of options that we can enact that would be a minor annoyance for law abiding citizens at best. We have technology to ensure that only the owner of the weapon is able to discharge it, we can do extensive background checks and mental health screenings to make sure we aren't giving guns to nut jobs (this can be done during the mandatory 7 day waiting period already required), we can require all sales private and through gun shops go through a licensed individual to keep track of where these guns are going, and those are just the things I can think off the top of my head. Of course we aren't going to be able to track all the guns everywhere at first but we have to start somewhere and eventually we can have a good handle on the problem

I think you can address me in a more respectful manner without resorting to name calling as i never once was aggressive towards your reply.
Im not disagreeing with your solution. You have valid points. But you answered one of my question in your last couple sentences.
You will NEVER be able to track all guns. NEVER. Millions are out there and unnaccounted for and would never be registered even if kaw passed in all 50 states that guns must be registered. You are correct. You could put in a law now required guns to be registered as well as many other options. But that will never account for the millions already unaccounted for.

I think you can address me in a more respectful manner without resorting to name calling as i never once was aggressive towards your reply.
Im not disagreeing with your solution. You have valid points. But you answered one of my question in your last couple sentences.
You will NEVER be able to track all guns. NEVER. Millions are out there and unnaccounted for and would never be registered even if kaw passed in all 50 states that guns must be registered. You are correct. You could put in a law now required guns to be registered as well as many other options. But that will never account for the millions already unaccounted for.

First off, I didn't call you a name. I said that line of thinking is moronic which it is. Second of all, if you begin the process of requiring guns to be registered eventually you will get the majority of them. Most normal people are law abiding citizens and wouldn't think twice about following the law. Sure, you are going to have your crazy gun nuts hoarding weapons for the rapture or for when the big bad government comes to take them from them but that is a small minority of gun owners. Those loons also have a nasty habit of doing dumb s*** that gets law enforcement's attention. Doesn't matter what you do in life, you have to start somewhere. Every journey ever made by man started with putting one foot in front of the other. You can't ignore a problem and say it's too big to face so we may as well give up before we start. That's what children do. We require all drivers to be licensed and insured, does that mean every single person on the road is? It most certainly does not, but we have those laws in place to keep people safe and because when something is made a law almost all normal Americans tend to follow the law for the most part. Guns should be no different

First off, I didn't call you a name. I said that line of thinking is moronic which it is. Second of all, if you begin the process of requiring guns to be registered eventually you will get the majority of them. Most normal people are law abiding citizens and wouldn't think twice about following the law. Sure, you are going to have your crazy gun nuts hoarding weapons for the rapture or for when the big bad government comes to take them from them but that is a small minority of gun owners. Those loons also have a nasty habit of doing dumb s*** that gets law enforcement's attention. Doesn't matter what you do in life, you have to start somewhere. Every journey ever made by man started with putting one foot in front of the other. You can't ignore a problem and say it's too big to face so we may as well give up before we start. That's what children do. We require all drivers to be licensed and insured, does that mean every single person on the road is? It most certainly does not, but we have those laws in place to keep people safe and because when something is made a law almost all normal Americans tend to follow the law for the most part. Guns should be no different

Ok fair enough. Allow me to ask you this question. Again. Not attacking you. Just curious. What is your solution on the war against illegal drugs? Meth. Cocaine. Other hard illegal drugs that are illegal nationwide but yet still booming is business? Its been illegal for decades arrests. Busts. Everything but yet the drugs still get on the streets no problem. Some made here in the US and others coming in crossing the border. What is your solution to this problem?

Ok fair enough. Allow me to ask you this question. Again. Not attacking you. Just curious. What is your solution on the war against illegal drugs? Meth. Cocaine. Other hard illegal drugs that are illegal nationwide but yet still booming is business? Its been illegal for decades arrests. Busts. Everything but yet the drugs still get on the streets no problem. Some made here in the US and others coming in crossing the border. What is your solution to this problem?

The war on drugs and the privatization of for-profit prisons go hand in hand. Much like when they tried prohibition with alcohol all they did was create a booming black market. The only smart thing to do is legalize most drugs for adults and regulate their access similar to tobacco and booze. We also have to stop treating addiction in this country as a crime. We can't have people ruin their whole lives because they were dumb and liked to party when they were 18. As seen in states where weed has been made legal it's an extreme revenue generator and aslo made for a sharp decrease in crimes. Speaking as an alcoholic who has done his fair share of partying with all substances if I was active and I wanted it nobody could stop me from getting it. But much like many of this countries problems it boils down to capitalism run amok. All the prisons are in it for the money while judges get kickbacks for sending folks there and prisoners are not provided with any type of meaningful rehabilitation. Most places dealing with addiction do anything they can for their bottom line and give the addict no leeway or room for error. We need common sense policies in place to try and rectify these things. China has a billion people living there and are in the process of reforming their ways from communism yet the United States has more people in prison event hough we only have a population of about 300 million or so

Portugal has a model the world should copy. America is obsessed with incarceration. People who do hard drugs are not criminals. They're addicts. They need help.

Most people who do hard drugs do them for a reason. They're poor, they're desperate, and often have other medical problems.

Stop this vicious cycle of kicking people when they're down.

What makes me laugh is gun nuts acting like they would stand any chance against US Soldiers if they came to lock everyone down and take their guns by force. It's hysterical. Even if they formed up a militia they could be taken out by drones and countless other black ops we aren't even privy to yet we can't do something to address the situation at hand because they need to fight against the government that may one day come after them. It's an insane line of reasoning

Yep, because our military beat the Taliban and Al Queda in one month and came back home, and America hasn't been to war since lol. Look at history, guerrilla groups have been beating real militarizes since the 60's when we lost Vietnam.

Yep, because our military beat the Taliban and Al Queda in one month and came back home, and America hasn't been to war since lol. Look at history, guerrilla groups have been beating real militarizes since the 60's when we lost Vietnam.
Guerrilla groups came out on top for far more reasons than just the simple fact that they're a guerrilla group. They also had outside support, mass support among the populace, smart leadership, legitimate reasons to go to war, etc. A group of gun nuts have no chance, what outside power would support them? Most people would view them as crazies, so they wouldn't have the mass support with the populace necessary to be successful. And most of these people who are gun nuts are actually really ****ing ******ed, often of the redneck variety. And most people aren't going to rise up over gun rights (more like oppression, economic hardship, etc.). They really don't have anything else going for them, other than they have a lot of guns (of which the military has more of).

Guerrilla groups came out on top for far more reasons than just the simple fact that they're a guerrilla group. They also had outside support, mass support among the populace, smart leadership, legitimate reasons to go to war, etc. A group of gun nuts have no chance, what outside power would support them? Most people would view them as crazies, so they wouldn't have the mass support with the populace necessary to be successful. And most of these people who are gun nuts are actually really ****ing ******ed, often of the redneck variety. And most people aren't going to rise up over gun rights (more like oppression, economic hardship, etc.). They really don't have anything else going for them, other than they have a lot of guns (of which the military has more of).
You did not read the post I was responding to. I was talking about a hypothetical where a power hungry government tried to take over, in which case the guerrilla group would have public support.

The way most of the media and Obama address gun shootings. A double standard?

Why is Obama so quick to politicize a gun shooting when it's at the hands of a USA caucasian, but tones down the message when it's a minority of Jihad Islam type?

2013 USA crime stats. Take note the race of the offender is dispositionally Black or African American, but the way the media covers it, you'd never know.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ender_2013.xls

I think this is a fantastic idea and one of those common sense ones. We have insurance for other aspects in our lives (home, car, boat, health, etc.) so why not have one for guns.

It's easier to hide a gun than a boat. I suppose if you do use an uninsured gun in a shooting, it could make you liable. I just think this would cause an uproar like you've never seen. There's nothing in the Bill of Rights about driving a car.

Portugal has a model the world should copy. America is obsessed with incarceration. People who do hard drugs are not criminals. They're addicts. They need help.

Most people who do hard drugs do them for a reason. They're poor, they're desperate, and often have other medical problems.

Stop this vicious cycle of kicking people when they're down.

That would be great, but last I checked, most of our prison systems are privately owned, and are money making machines for those who own them. They don't want people to get better, they want them to stay criminal so they can make money off of them (something like 25 grand or more an inmate)

It's easier to hide a gun than a boat. I suppose if you do use an uninsured gun in a shooting, it could make you liable. I just think this would cause an uproar like you've never seen. There's nothing in the Bill of Rights about driving a car.

Yeah, I heard about this gun owners should be required to have insurance, and I think it's a bunch of hogwash. Keep it up anti gun people, and the good law abiding citizens will just start keeping guns illegal anyways. Really, stop trying to punish the mass good people for the few horrible people out there. If horrible people out there are doing awful things, the common sense thing to do would be to go after the horrible people, not make life difficult for the ones that are not hurting anyone and abiding by the laws.

Hey, you know what, since life just sucks in general, here's a better idea, we should make it law that we all have to have life and medical insurance, no matter the costs, and while we are at it, lets make it mandatory that we also have Aflak in case we get sick, shot up or get fired from our job.

Iowa Issues Gun Permits To The Blind, Allowing Them To Carry In Public

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/09/08/iowa-blind-gun-licenses-carry-in-public_n_3890291.html

Double-Facepalm-Gif-09.gif

The way most of the media and Obama address gun shootings. A double standard?

Why is Obama so quick to politicize a gun shooting when it's at the hands of a USA caucasian, but tones down the message when it's a minority of Jihad Islam type?

2013 USA crime stats. Take note the race of the offender is dispositionally Black or African American, but the way the media covers it, you'd never know.

https://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/uc...ender_2013.xls

I swear the more Taarna posts I read the closer I am to a ban. Your link doesn't work btw. You're backing up your usual "thinking" with a broken link.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"