The Handmaid's Tale

My problem with this show is two things one June claims to love her husband (who is faithful to her and has been fighting for her and their daughter to be released) yet even though she knows this she sent a baby to raise that is not even his and tells him that this baby was made with love and is always kissing and having sex with the other guy saying she loves him. So that's one issue I have. The second is that they have not showed one redeeming quality in men on this show. This show for the most part is a world where all men are evil.

Last edited:
I was actually fine with the first three episodes, but man I really didn't care for this newest episode, especially the stuff with June and her once again showing off just how selfish she can be.

Also, they really are a little too one sided with their forced potrayls of men in this show. I have somewhat gotten use to it by now, but damn I don't see why it was necessary to show the Steven dude taking advantage of them like that.

i guess i'm the only that kept watching lol what a crap season pandemic or not the writing was atrocious what June did to Emily in that meeting was just cringe i'm over this everybody must do what June wants i'm over this show season finale was pure garbage and didn't leave me with wanting to see another second

Couldn't agree more with you. What June did to her family and friends and what she is doing to her husband is just plain wrong. This show had probably a solid first season but after that it just went downhill and fast and really there is no redeeming quality in the show whatsoever any more.

Couldn't agree more with you. What June did to her family and friends and what she is doing to her husband is just plain wrong. This show had probably a solid first season but after that it just went downhill and fast and really there is no redeeming quality in the show whatsoever any more.

Luke took care OF ANOTHER MANS kid and gets treated like that and if i have to look at 10 min close up of Moss again i will hate her for life lol

I'll finish it, but I'm honestly not a fan of this season at all despite the fact that Moss still kills it in the role, but damn has June become a really unlikable and selfish character.

I'll finish it, but I'm honestly not a fan of this season at all despite the fact that Moss still kills it in the role, but damn has June become a really unlikable and selfish character.

since this place is dead as far as handmaid is concerned i checked out a feminist site called lipstick alley [yo the things being discussed i wish i can unsee lol] but the majority of woman hate her character now so yes she has become insufferable

I watched this show over the last couple of weeks, and while I enjoyed it I agree that June has really become unlikeable in season 4. I've seen some people compare her to Walter White in Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure if this show actually acknowledges that she's a crappy person now. (And if they're willing to punish her for it) I guess that's my problem with the portrayal of the character.

It still seems like they're celebrating her, "look how strong and cool June is!" They want to have it both ways; she does bad things but they still want to portray her as the hero. Instead of just leaving it up to the viewer to decide what to think.

Also after reading some comments on other forums I feel like I'm watching a different show. Some people love the romance with Nick and think this is some awesome hero revenge story... I wonder if this show has the balls to give June a "bad" ending for her actions, or if they'll give her a happily ever after with Nick and the baby. (Because screw Luke apparently :whatever:)

I watched this show over the last couple of weeks, and while I enjoyed it I agree that June has really become unlikeable in season 4. I've seen some people compare her to Walter White in Breaking Bad, but I'm not sure if this show actually acknowledges that she's a crappy person now. (And if they're willing to punish her for it) I guess that's my problem with the portrayal of the character.

It still seems like they're celebrating her, "look how strong and cool June is!" They want to have it both ways; she does bad things but they still want to portray her as the hero. Instead of just leaving it up to the viewer to decide what to think.

Also after reading some comments on other forums I feel like I'm watching a different show. Some people love the romance with Nick and think this is some awesome hero revenge story... I wonder if this show has the balls to give June a "bad" ending for her actions, or if they'll give her a happily ever after with Nick and the baby. (Because screw Luke apparently :whatever:)

I really hope June faces consequences because her continuing to go unchecked is only fueling her narcissism. The way she treated Ofwarren and Luke this season was the final straw for me when it came to having any sympathy for her.

I really hope June faces consequences because her continuing to go unchecked is only fueling her narcissism. The way she treated Ofwarren and Luke this season was the final straw for me when it came to having any sympathy for her.

I agree. I hope I'm wrong, but to me it feels like the show still wants you to root for June. I'm not sure if they're willing to punish her, since she's being treated as a strong female character, the hero of the story.

Like halfway through season 4 when they randomly started bringing up in one of those flashbacks that Luke cheated on his wife, and Moira introduced the idea that perhaps he was only with her just to get a baby... almost to excuse June's ongoing relationship with Nick.

When she killed
Fred
they wanted to make it look "cool" instead of brutal... with all those cuts of them dancing and her voice-over. And don't forget the glances and smirks of her directly at the camera.

I agree. I hope I'm wrong, but to me it feels like the show still wants you to root for June. I'm not sure if they're willing to punish her, since she's being treated as a strong female character, the hero of the story.

Like halfway through season 4 when they randomly started bringing up in one of those flashbacks that Luke cheated on his wife, and Moira introduced the idea that perhaps he was only with her just to get a baby... almost to excuse June's ongoing relationship with Nick.

When she killed
Fred
they wanted to make it look "cool" instead of brutal... with all those cuts of them dancing and her voice-over. And don't forget the glances and smirks of her directly at the camera.
That's what I also think is wrong with this show. This show has done nothing but tear down the men. Some do deserve it but some (Luke) didn't. Luke may have cheated on his wife but June isn't innocent in this as well since she knew he was married and went after him. Also who is to say there wasn't already problems in the marriage and that the marriage was pretty much over when they met. Also how does that excuse June only being able to have sex with Luke if she is thinking of Nick or how Luke raised her & Nick's child but is telling the child that her real daddy loves her not Luke or how she pretty much treated Luke like trash when she got back but was all hugged up on Nick. Really this show should've ended two seasons ago. June is just as bad as the people she is fighting against and really shows no remorse about it.

Just to piggyback on what both of you are saying; I don't think the showrunners know how to walk the fine line of portraying June as both heroine and someone mentally broken by the traumatic events she's had to endure. She ends up doing and/or saying something horrible but is later depicted as a victim in this patriarchal system. I'm not sure if the purpose of the show is to demonstrate how women, specifically, aren't expected to remain "innocent" after facing immeasurable challenges or after a while, the hero becomes the villain.

I'll give the next season a chance, but I really do hope it's the last or they suddenly go the anthology route.

Just to piggyback on what both of you are saying; I don't think the showrunners know how to walk the fine line of portraying June as both heroine and someone mentally broken by the traumatic events she's had to endure. She ends up doing and/or saying something horrible but is later depicted as a victim in this patriarchal system. I'm not sure if the purpose of the show is to demonstrate how women, specifically, aren't expected to remain "innocent" after facing immeasurable challenges or after a while, the hero becomes the villain.

I'll give the next season a chance, but I really do hope it's the last or they suddenly go the anthology route.
Here is my thing every chance they had to redeem June they always showed her right after doing something that throws that out the window. It's like how I say with Injustice 2. They had the perfect way to redeem Superman and make him a hero again but instead they double down and give us Superman fans the middle finger. That is how they are writing June. They have the chance to redeem her but every chance they get they just double down and make her look worse.

This show just went too off the rails for me this season with June being too unlikable and honestly I'm only curious to see if she actually faces somekind of consequences for her actions from this season.

Other than that I really don't have any interest in continuing this show, but hopefully they end it next season because they are really drawing this out way more than it needs to be.

This show just went too off the rails for me this season with June being too unlikable and honestly I'm only curious to see if she actually faces somekind of consequences for her actions from this season.

The way season 4 was going, I think this will end with June getting Hannah out and she'll raise both kids with Nick... They'll find some loophole for her to get away with murder. Luke will get killed off, because him being around would make June look bad if she's with Nick.

Or... they'll make June the leader of the resistance and she'll take down Gilead. I could see them doing something like that at this point.

Either way, I doubt she'll end up dead or in jail, or even get some kind of punishment at all... but maybe the writers will prove me wrong.

The way season 4 was going, I think this will end with June getting Hannah out and she'll raise both kids with Nick... They'll find some loophole for her to get away with murder. Luke will get killed off, because him being around would make June look bad if she's with Nick.

Or... they'll make June the leader of the resistance and she'll take down Gilead. I could see them doing something like that at this point.

Either way, I doubt she'll end up dead or in jail, or even get some kind of punishment at all... but maybe the writers will prove me wrong.
June won't die or face punishment IMO she is the hero of the #Me Too movement after all. Because remember this series came out during that time and was a big symbol for that movement. So I don't see anything happening to her. If anything like you said she'll go off to live with Nick somewhere.

June won't die or face punishment IMO she is the hero of the #Me Too movement after all. Because remember this series came out during that time and was a big symbol for that movement. So I don't see anything happening to her. If anything like you said she'll go off to live with Nick somewhere.

Yeah I was saying that in response to the people comparing June to Walter White. I doubt the writers of this show are willing to go there. This is all about female empowerment.

Now for all the crap I'm giving this show, it's still fun to talk about. I liked the first 3 seasons and was only disappointed with season 4, so let's hope it gets back on track.

I don’t think they’ll make June the leader of the resistance because this season proved she’s incapable of leading anything. On top of that, going the “peaceful” route didn’t seem to work for her either so I think she’ll start some sort of personal resistance in Canada with the help of Nick in Gilead but will eventually lose Nick when he has to make a sacrifice to save her. Luke will probably just continue to be on the back burner and Hannah will probably not adjust well when she’s inevitably saved from her new home in Colorado.

It’s very sad that the only thing motivating me to continue watching this show is Aunt Lydia.

I don’t think they’ll make June the leader of the resistance because this season proved she’s incapable of leading anything. On top of that, going the “peaceful” route didn’t seem to work for her either so I think she’ll start some sort of personal resistance in Canada with the help of Nick in Gilead but will eventually lose Nick when he has to make a sacrifice to save her. Luke will probably just continue to be on the back burner and Hannah will probably not adjust well when she’s inevitably saved from her new home in Colorado.

It’s very sad that the only thing motivating me to continue watching this show is Aunt Lydia.
The only thing motivating me to watch this show is that I invested this much time into it and don't want it to go to waste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"