The Amazing Spider-Man 2 The "I loved The Amazing Spider-Man 2" thread

:up:

Every time I see that, I hear the random woman from my theater gasp followed by utter silence.

Bone chilling.

:highfive:

I remember my daughter doing the same thing. She told me later that she was so used to seeing the hero save his love interest that she never really thought Gwen would die. Of course, I knew the story, but I wasn't sure that Webb would actually go through with it. I remember the silence of the theater after that as well. There is something about that cracking sound that never loses its power.

I gave my daughter "The Night Gwen Stacy Died" to read later on and told her how it shook up the comic world at the time. TASM2 really cemented that moment in her mind as something landmark in American pop culture, and I'll always cherish that.

Hey i wanted to share a little review i did of the film, i thought it was true to Spidey and has a real heart. Most people seems to be too rationnal, focus and nitpick on details and fail to see how emotions is displayed and a message is given, here is my take on it:

Through the all movie there is this reminiscence, the movement of time, it's clockwork. This sum-up with theme like destiny and choice.

Peter was chosen by his father in a way and it's the same for Harry, the Osborn's malediction, or Gwen with the continuous flashback of her father. It's in there blood, they are atracted toward it, interconnected in this web of life.

This build up to death. In opposition to Spidey light-heartened, childish anf fun way of catching bad guys (the futur rhino).
Death happened in the plane, the same that would have brought Gwen and Pete to england, the same they rescued from crashing. Death is inevitable. They twisted fate in a way.
I have that feeling when they were on the bridge, this is where it should have ended (plus the reference to the comic). Later the hand of the pendulum that catch back like crazy, turning madness, setting it right.

All these to tell about the little boy, who built a windturbine. The one Spider-Man walked home, and the same one that will make him say at the end of the movie "there's nothing like home", as he close the cycle, getting back to kick ass, the same vilain (with mechanical uprgrades) and Spidey kickin him with a plate. He then take his destiny in his hands.

The wind turbine is the cycle, the seasons, the ones Pete passes mourning Gwen death. She had made her choice, they all did. It's the cycle of time, life and death, as past keep coming back, like ghost haunting the living.

And it is the talk on energy, the wind turbine is a clean energy where the Osborn and a man embued with energy as a power took too much confidence in itself and went away from it's true nature. He loved Spidey but turned out otherwise. There is on one hand a fanatic who talks to Spidey pictures in front of the mirror and on the other hand a child, wich is also a science wiz and will wear the costum and live as the symbol of his hero, facing mechanical force, the great machinery of time.

I found the Wind turbine symbol really beautifull in this way. Letting things go, a nice breeze, a clean power source ...

Last edited:
Saw the movie first time today, and I liked it.

There were some problems.. it felt too much was going on, they could have left what happened to harry Osborne for the next movie. I liked the story about peter's father and the emotional moments. Gwen's speech was really meaningful in the context of the movie. So many sub-texts throughout this movie.

The tone was a mix of Webb's first movie (TASM) , Donner's Superman movies and Batman Forever.

My score 6/10.

Last edited:
[YT]z24OnH0m4fM[/YT]

Just leaving this here. The criticisms of the film as brought up in the video really hold no merit.

Homecoming teaser makes me miss this world.

How come you never wanted Spider-Man in the MCU?

How come you never wanted Spider-Man in the MCU?
My main two reasons:

I wanted to keep MCU clean of symbiotes. Folks adapting Spider-Man after the popularity of that mediocre idiot Venom seems to have the feeling that it's an obligation to include him in ever one of them, and some cases make that lead to Carnage, a villain I never liked, starring in a bad event.

I wanted to try a universe, complete, from start to finish, without the inclusion of Spider-Man, and I mean a more serious world than the Superhero Squad stuff.

Other reasons, including ones I developed after seeing what's done with him:

I prefer Spider-Man as a loner than the guy who teams up more often with other characters.

[blackout]Tony Stark making his suit, picking him up for Civil War, and telling Happy about him is not cool.[/blackout]

Talking tech to guys he fight against. REALLY?

[blackout]I thought MCU were supposed to keep secret identity of this character more of a secret than TASM2 tried to do. The trailer showed a second time of his mask leaving his face in MCU. And then there is that Vulture threat that gives the impression he saw his face.[/blackout]

Jessica Jones had a crush on him when they were classmates in high school. An adult Jessica while Spider-Man is a teenager is annoying.

Ben Urich is dead, we can't see the two on screen together now.

My main two reasons:

I wanted to keep MCU clean of symbiotes. Folks adapting Spider-Man after the popularity of that mediocre idiot Venom seems to have the feeling that it's an obligation to include him in ever one of them, and some cases make that lead to Carnage, a villain I never liked, starring in a bad event.

I don't know what to tell you, but the TASM series was going to be full of symbiotes.

I wanted to try a universe, complete, from start to finish, without the inclusion of Spider-Man, and I mean a more serious world than the Superhero Squad stuff.
You have 2 full phases of Marvel movies without Spider-Man. That is plenty. And the MCU is not going to end for a long time, at least not in the foreseeable future. Why you wouldn't want a definitive Spider-Man to be in the definitive onscreen Marvel universe is beyond me.

I prefer Spider-Man as a loner than the guy who teams up more often with other characters.

[blackout]Tony Stark making his suit, picking him up for Civil War, and telling Happy about him is not cool.[/blackout]

You mean Falcon...?

[blackout]I thought MCU were supposed to keep secret identity of this character more of a secret than TASM2 tried to do. The trailer showed a second time of his mask leaving his face in MCU. And then there is that Vulture threat that gives the impression he saw his face.[/blackout]
I don't know.

Jessica Jones had a crush on him when they were classmates in high school. An adult Jessica while Spider-Man is a teenager is annoying.

Jessica Jones and Ben Urich were never going to share the screen with Spider-Man. Netflix and MCU are not crossing over in the foreseeable future.

I don't know what to tell you, but the TASM series was going to be full of symbiotes.
After reading weird rumors of Peter resurrecting George and Gwen, Morbius for Spider-Man 4, and a lot of rumors surrounding other Spider-Man stuff, I decided to shrug any bit of news I see off, even if it is possible to happen.

You have 2 full phases of Marvel movies without Spider-Man. That is plenty. And the MCU is not going to end for a long time, at least not in the foreseeable future. Why you wouldn't want a definitive Spider-Man to be in the definitive onscreen Marvel universe is beyond me.
I wanted more phases.
To me, Andrew was closer to being more definitive, minus the "those are the best kind" line, and Gwen backing him up with tech, and creepy stalker.
Tom is more like a return of Toby, more timid than necessary.

You mean Falcon...?
And Winter Soldier.

Jessica Jones and Ben Urich were never going to share the screen with Spider-Man. Netflix and MCU are not crossing over in the foreseeable future.
Still, I don't like the idea of Jessica being older than her high school crush by maybe a decade.

After reading weird rumors of Peter resurrecting George and Gwen, Morbius for Spider-Man 4, and a lot of rumors surrounding other Spider-Man stuff, I decided to shrug any bit of news I see off, even if it is possible to happen.

Well they did have the symbiote appear in TASM2 originally, but it was taken out last minute. When Mr. Fiers walks past the tentacles and Vulture wings.

I wanted more phases.
To me, Andrew was closer to being more definitive, minus the "those are the best kind" line, and Gwen backing him up with tech, and creepy stalker.
Tom is more like a return of Toby, more timid than necessary.

Disagree. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

And Winter Soldier.

You mean his metal arm comment?

Still, I don't like the idea of Jessica being older than her high school crush by maybe a decade.

Jessica Jones? She's such a minor part of the Spider-Man mythos. I don't see why it's a big deal, but once again... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I totally get not wanting to see Spider-man in the MCU if your preferred Spider-man film does not look and feel like anything we've seen in the MCU to date.

However, none of these reasons below add up in my eyes.

My main two reasons:

You realize that we would have undoubtedly seen symbiotes sooner if the ASM series had continued? His inclusion in the MCU pushed that inevitably even further away.

Why?

This I understand, but I have a strong feeling that they didn't put him in the MCU so they could do a Marvel Team-up with him every time he's on screen.

This is another thing I understand. But honestly, is assembling his suit an integral part of the character? The answer is no, regardless of your personal preference.

.....Huh?

This remains to be seen, but even then I don't see why it's a deal breaker.

I can't think of anything more inconsequential to the mythos of either character than this.

We would have never seen this regardless of whether or not he was in the MCU as Sony does not have the rights to Ben Urich.

Again, I have no problem with people who don't want him involved in the MCU. But when we start actually talking about why, the conversation gets dicey and I start having questions.

Yeah, some of the points make me raise an eyebrow.

I agree with some stuff (though it's not close to a dealbreaker IMO) but Jessica Jones' age relative to Peter's in craziness. That retcon wasn't even established til like '06 or '08(?).

My main two reasons:

I can respect all of that, bud. I'm really picky-choosy with the MCU stuff myself when it comes to Spidey but I'm hopeful in the long run.

Like you, though, I'll always miss the TASM series (and the Raimi trilogy before it).

Like you, though, I'll always miss the TASM series (and the Raimi trilogy before it).

I echo those sentiments for sure. Both series will always mean something to me, and each film holds a special place in my heart, regardless of the bashers of any/all of them. :woot:

I don't care what anyone says, the scene between Spider-Man and Electro at Times Square is one of, if not the best live action Spidey we've got so far.

"Glad you're not one of those cops who ride a horse"

As a New Yorker, I'll say that they captured the look and feel of Times Square just perfectly.

I don't care what anyone says, the scene between Spider-Man and Electro at Times Square is one of, if not the best live action Spidey we've got so far.

"Glad you're not one of those cops who ride a horse"

Everything about that scene was gold.

You realize that we would have undoubtedly seen symbiotes sooner if the ASM series had continued? His inclusion in the MCU pushed that inevitably even further away.
The mere idea is frightening.

His inclusion started rumors of his presence pushing back movies like Black Panther and Captain Marvel.
And I wanted to see full proof that a Marvel world can work without Spider-Man.

This is another thing I understand. But honestly, is assembling his suit an integral part of the character? The answer is no, regardless of your personal preference.
It is something I value.
Seeing him sewing his suit, and sometimes poking his finger with the needle, are some things I really enjoy about the character.

.....Huh?
Fighting Falcon.

Again, I have no problem with people who don't want him involved in the MCU. But when we start actually talking about why, the conversation gets dicey and I start having questions.
I can't blame you for that.
I'm laughing at what I said earlier as I'm replying to this post of yours.

I can respect all of that, bud. I'm really picky-choosy with the MCU stuff myself when it comes to Spidey but I'm hopeful in the long run.

I echo those sentiments for sure. Both series will always mean something to me, and each film holds a special place in my heart, regardless of the bashers of any/all of them. :woot:

The MCU worked without Spider-Man for two full phases and would have continued working if the Sony deal never happened. Don't need any more proof of that.

Marvel actually had Spider-Man in mind while making their slate for phase 3. They announced their "plan b" in case the deal never went through, but when they "pushed back" their other films, that was just their plan A. As a Spider-Man fan, this should be something incredible. They pushed back their own movies for our web-head to be in the MCU. Not sure why this is something of concern?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyMcFly1985
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"