The ICC Cricket World Cup thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yep. Want to see Australia, NZ and India play their next big team now.

Aus vs Sri Lanka later on tonight.

Oh right big match! I'd like Sri Lanka to do something. But also Australia aren't too used to losing and will be looking to bounce back from the NZ game.

I don't think Sri Lanka's bowling attack will trouble Australia's batsmen too much. The question is how resilient Sri Lanka's batting really is. I have a feeling Johnson will knock them over.

Of the big 4 (Aus, NZ, SA & India), I think only Sri Lanka (& possibly Pakistan if they fully discover form) are going to give any of them any issue in the quarter finals. England and the West Indies haven't looked too good, even Ireland is getting on their level.

In limited overs, it's possible for anyone to beat anyone. England have enough talent with bat and ball to beat Australia and obliterate the likes of Ireland, but it hasn't been happening for reasons of form, strategy and cohesion. For all the competing teams, an injury to a key bowler or a loss of confidence by a star batsmen could change everything.

Today's should be pretty good. Lot of familiarity between Australia and Sri Lanka. Should be a good tussle.

Aghanistan Vs NZ. Afghanistan 57-4 off 15 overs so far.

I think I could manage that.

2 wickets in 2 balls for Vettori and now the field is right in for the hat-trick ball. All over the batsman.

Vettori's figures are a joke.

5 overs
3 maidens
5 runs conceded
4 wickets

In limited overs, it's possible for anyone to beat anyone. England have enough talent with bat and ball to beat Australia and obliterate the likes of Ireland, but it hasn't been happening for reasons of form, strategy and cohesion. For all the competing teams, an injury to a key bowler or a loss of confidence by a star batsmen could change everything.
Yeah, all the above within those fixed constraints of course. Football has even more chances of upsets with completely match altering events like sending offs and penalties as well as injury/form of star players (like Ronaldo on the night before the World Cup Final). Predictions have got to be made excluding those kinds of things, otherwise they can't really be made at all (and I know full well their fragility having lost a fair bit of money on backing favourites such as Australia Vs Bangladesh a long time ago and recently Barcelona against some minnows).

Vettori's figures are a joke.

5 overs
3 maidens
5 runs conceded
4 wickets

It's amazing to think a left-arm finger spinner who gets very little turn is capable of that... even moreso when you look at how consistently successful he's been over his whole career.

Definitely a rare one old Vettori.

About an hour and a half since the last wicket for Afghanistan. Good consolidation going on.

144-6 off 38 overs

Afghanistan 186 all out. NZ 85-1 off 13 overs look to be cruising to victory. Their net run rate must be crazy by now.

Great stumping there! Australia Vs Sri Lanka on now. You watching jmc? Australians just lost 2nd wicket. 41-2 about 9 overs gone.

congrats to Pakistan for clawing their way back in and winning.

It was do or die.

Considering Ireland beat Zimbabwe, a Pakistan loss last night would have sealed their fate for the Cup.

Same for England against Bangladesh, do or die game.

NZ have nearly tied up victory now. Aus are 76-2 off 16 overs against Sri Lanka.

I don't think it would be the biggest surprise ever. Probably at least a 20% chance. But I'd hope England have the experience even if they don't find the form.

Aus now 110-2 after 24 and a bit overs. Good partnership building here.

Well, it would certainly be one of those moments where you say, "Oh how things have changed."

As you said, it's one of those situations where you would expect them to win solely on experience.

Yeah, wouldn't be quit the shock now that it would have been back then. Although Bangladesh haven't really kicked on as much as they could have.

Australia are going a bit crazy. 260 off 40 overs for 4 wickets. That's about 6.5 runs an over already with I'm sure plenty of acceleration to come with the depth of their batting order. Should be a score well over 300 at this rate, high 300s and close to 400 probably unless some wickets fall soon.

That's true, too. I feel like we haven't gotten the chance to see them hit their ceiling.

In their defense, they're in quite a pickle in their pool with Sri Lanka, NZ, and Australia. I think everyone pretty much assumed Sri Lanka, NZ, Australia, and England would make it out.

Who knows, their match against Australia that got cancelled might end up being the reason they advance.

300 up for Australia with 7 overs left and 4 wickets in hand. Maxwell has 89 and scoring about 2 runs a ball!

Final Score 376-9 Aus

Great innings. Maxwell & Watson were awesome together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"