The Immortal Iron Fist Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Lente's New "Power Man & Iron Fist"

9gdl74.jpg

I'll definely give it a chance.It's an ongoing or Mini?

It comes after the SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN mini series and at least for now is supposed to be an ongoing for next year. It seems Iron Fist will be mentoring and teaming up with the new Power Man, as Cage's wearing quite a few hats with the Avengers and Thunderbolts. I'm so on it. Van Lente rarely writes anything that is even average, much less below it. Even his worst stuff is above average, or usually good.

I'll give it a shot. No interest in the new Power Man whatsoever, but hey, I started reading iHerc 100% for Hercules and now I like Cho a lot as well, so maybe Van Lente will turn me around on Power Man, Jr.

New characters are important to have in a superhero universe. No one is using the "Power Man" name anymore (Atlas is Atlas, and Luke Cage ditched that name back in the 90's at least), so it may as well be a new character. Could be fun. But, yeah, I'm there for Van Lente on Rand. The only quibble is he's acting like Rand is still rich and running Rand Corp, when he supposedly sold all his shares to open up his non-profit dojo's. But to be honest, rich characters always seem to jump back and forth between poverty and billionaire, so it doesn't matter. I mean, the only book that treats Iron Man like he's broke is INVINCIBLE IRON MAN.

Yeah, Tony's doling out money like it's going out of style in the Avengers comics. :o

So it's going to be another mini correct? Either way, this sounds awesome. I really like what Van Lente had to say. I'm interested to see how the whole situation with Rand Corp plays out. Although to be honest, i'm glad Danny will have it back up and running again. :up:

Yeah, Tony's doling out money like it's going out of style in the Avengers comics. :o

Naturally. It's a Bendis Avenger comic. Acknowledging the work of others, even Matt Fraction, is optional. He naturally had Danny Rand fund the New Avengers without any dilemma either. But, as I said, "rich" characters including Iron Man always seem to be gaining and losing their fortunes.

So it's going to be another mini correct? Either way, this sounds awesome. I really like what Van Lente had to say. I'm interested to see how the whole situation with Rand Corp plays out. Although to be honest, i'm glad Danny will have it back up and running again. :up:

It's possible the dojo's could just become that popular. Danny Rand could easily be someone like Tiger Schulman or other chain karate school type of bigwigs.

Fred Van Lente is writing a mini series called SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN that will lead up to Jan. 2011's POWER MAN & IRON FIST. So for all intents and purposes, the Shadowland mini leads up to an ongoing series. At any rate, it sounds good. Fred Van Lente's a solid writer, who knows when to be serious and funny. His "set in the past" Iron Man title moves a lot faster than the "important" Matt Fraction one. Plus, while the interdimensional magical kung-fu stuff is great, I'm glad that Danny Rand won't get pigeon holed with it and will go back to doing general superhero stuff again. I mean, the first Rand comics I paid for as a youth was the HEROES FOR HIRE series from the 1990's and Rand was taking on the U-Foes or all sorts of bad guys there. He needs to take on some bigger name opponents to get a rep as an ass-kicker. I mean, that's what Wolverine and Punisher did over the years, right?

It might be cute if at some point someone mentioned that while damn near everyone who is or was an Avenger got combat training from Steve Rogers, Sue Storm-Richards actually got trained by Iron Fist. Yeah, Claremont was so obviously writing FF at the time (he'd written POWER MAN & IRON FIST in the past), but that's kind of neat.

I hope Power Man & Iron Fist has some kind of recap of the Shadowland mini because I don't intend to read the mini.

I hope Power Man & Iron Fist has some kind of recap of the Shadowland mini because I don't intend to read the mini.

Why not? It seems like SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN will basically be the first arc of POWER MAN & IRON FIST, since Fred Van Lente writes both and the former leads into the latter. Is it because the mini will be $3.99 an issue while the ongoing, in theory, will only be $3.99 for the debut issue? If so, I understand, although for all we know, POWER MAN & IRON FIST could just be $3.99 an issue just because Marvel likes money. Marvel charges that cover price for any ongoing series that sells well, or DOESN'T sell well. Joe Quesada at this point has probably considered charging his mother $3.99 to call him on the phone. They REALLY like that price tag. :o

Actually wasn't it confirmed this is only a 5 issue mini?

Actually wasn't it confirmed this is only a 5 issue mini?

You're right, I missed it. Sorry. :doh:

Yeah, SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN is a 4 issue mini and POWER MAN & IRON FIST will be a 5 issue mini. So it all will be $3.99 an issue. But with Fred Van Lente writing both it may as well be an ongoing series that lasts 9 issues, which is more than some last these days. At any rate, I'll get both.

Why not? It seems like SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN will basically be the first arc of POWER MAN & IRON FIST, since Fred Van Lente writes both and the former leads into the latter. Is it because the mini will be $3.99 an issue while the ongoing, in theory, will only be $3.99 for the debut issue? If so, I understand, although for all we know, POWER MAN & IRON FIST could just be $3.99 an issue just because Marvel likes money. Marvel charges that cover price for any ongoing series that sells well, or DOESN'T sell well. Joe Quesada at this point has probably considered charging his mother $3.99 to call him on the phone. They REALLY like that price tag. :o
Because I'm willing to give Power Man a shot alongside Iron Fist, whom I know I like. I'm not willing to pick up a mini-series built around a new character I have no interest in, especially since it's a tie-in to an event I have no interest in.

Well I believe Iron Fist and Luke Cage are both involved in the Shadowland Mini.

The SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN series will apparently also feature Fist. Just apparently Marvel feels that Moon Knight and Ghost Rider are better able to headline their own mini's. I mean They have quite a vague title for the mini that is basically the Daughters of the Dragon, Shroud, Silver Sable and Paladin. SHADOWLAND: RANDOM PEOPLE wouldn't sound quite right.

I don't mind giving a new character a chance now and then. They never stick if no one does, and that's a problem when someone makes one that is liked. C'mon, it's Fred Van Lente! How could a character he makes be that bad? Even characters Bendis made aren't so bad when someone else writes 'em. :p

I like giving new characters chances, but I've read the interviews about the new Power Man and he just hasn't clicked with me. Also, I don't really want to buy anything Shadowland-related if I don't absolutely have to, and given that Thor and the Black Knight are probably not gonna have cameos, that should mean I won't buy anything Shadowland-related.

I'm interested in a slew of SHADOWLAND characters, at least enough to buy the core mini and some of the side mini's. I care about Moon Knight, so going with that one. I may give the Ghost Rider one a flip. I like the Shroud so SHADOWLAND: RANDOM PEOPLE is on my list. But SHADOWLAND: POWER MAN is the only mini with Iron Fist shown on covers and mentioned in solicits, so I am on it. Van Lente helps. He wrote a story about MODOK and 11 other lame villains and made it great. I'll more than give him the benefit of the doubt on a new character.

Thanks to kacangpool from Jinxworld Forums:

kacangpool said:

kacangpool said:
heh ok, i found out who was dressed as iron fist in that clip on the mondo marvel panel at sdcc.

picture_228_01.png

On deck for the panel was Marvel SVP C.B. Cebulski, Marvel's Manager of Sales Communications Arune Singh (dressed as Iron Fist), Jeph Loeb, Jim McCann, Brian Michael Bendis, Dan Abnett, and Andy Lanning. Also present was the Marvel editorial squad of Michael Horwitz, Mark Paniccia, and Tom Brennan.

That's awesome. :awesome:

More info on the mini:

SDCC 2010: POWER MAN & IRON FIST: Reunited For The 1st Time

Power Man and Iron Fist are back together, and in the immortal words of Foreigner, "it feels like the first time." Well, it is.

The new Power Man hasn’t even made his official debut yet, and he’s already starring in two different series. His introduction’s coming in August as part of the four-issue crossover tie-in Shadowland: Power Man, from Fred Van Lente and Mahmud Asrar. Then during Thursday’s “Mondo Marvel” panel at Comic-Con International: San Diego, it was announced that Van Lente will be bringing the character back in January along with Wellinton Alves for a five-issue Power Man & Iron Fist miniseries.

The original Power Man, Luke Cage, forged a famous partnership with Iron Fist in the ‘70s that has lasted to this day, in the pages of New Avengers. Clearly, this team has a lot to live up to, so Newsarama consulted Van Lente via e-mail on what makes the new Power Man & Iron Fist different than the old, how this comic is similar to his work on Incredible Hercules and why new characters are vital to the overall health of the Marvel Universe.

Newsarama: Clearly, it looks like the new Power Man and Iron Fist will be teaming up post-Shadowland. How is their relationship similar to that of Iron Fist and the original Power Man — and alternately, how is it meaningfully different?

Fred Van Lente: The great thing about Power Man and Iron Fist in their heyday is that Danny Rand is in many ways a kind of an otherworldly innocent — in addition to his vast riches he was brought up in the mystic isolation of K'un L'un. Luke Cage, on the other hand, had seen a lot of hardship in his life — having been convicted for a crime he didn't commit, and running a rough Hero for Hire office out of Times Square. They complemented each other quite nicely, as friends and sparring partners.

The new Power Man, Vic Alvarez, is much younger than Cage — about 15, but he is in many ways vastly more powerful than Luke, with his ability to absorb chi and generate his explosive punches.

Nrama: So given the age difference, is Iron Fist's relationship with him more of a paternal or mentor one, rather than the equal partners Luke and Danny are? I'm sure Danny is interested in seeing the new Power Man "earn" the right to use the name.

Van Lente: Exactly. Except Vic doesn't think he need a tutor, much less one as ethereal as Danny, so a lot of fun banter will result from that — to a certain degree the dynamic will be similar to the one between Herc and Amadeus in Incredible Hercules.

Nrama: Is the partnership something that they're both kind of game for, or, if you can reveal this without spoiling much, are circumstances bringing them together?

Van Lente: A little bit of both. There's a new alignment of the streets post-Shadowland that make Iron Fist and Power Man realize they — and New York — would be better off as they paired as partners rather than adversaries.

Nrama: What about the goals of the partnership — originally, Power Man and Iron Fist were heroes for hire. What's motivating Iron Fist and the new Power Man?

Van Lente: They are Heroes for Hire, but they work specifically for Danny's Rand Corporation, headed by his former HfH secretary Jennie Royce. Part of Rand Corporation's mission is to free falsely convicted people from prison, and Danny has a very personal stake in this one, because his former ally El Aguila seems to have been framed for murder. (Or was he?) This first arc, “Men of Mystery,” follows Danny and Vic's quest to clear his name.

Nrama: What kind of conflicts are they going to be going up against in the five-issue series? Any specific villains can you discuss?

Van Lente: Brand-new villains for brand-new characters — including Don Pagliacci and his Commedia del'Morte and the mysterious, beautiful Noir — as well as returning PM&IF supporting cast members like Professor Gambit and the Black Tiger. Plus, a new love interest for Vic Alvarez — and Danny and Misty Knight might just take their own relationship up a notch.

Nrama: How important is it, to you, to continue to populate the Marvel Universe with new characters like Vic Alvarez? It seems a lot of times new characters pop up and then aren't heard from again, but now we see the new Power Man already in a new miniseries following his introduction in Shadowland.

Van Lente: It's very important to Marvel to keep these new characters in circulation, and it's a great vote of confidence Power Man is getting a new mini when his first hasn't even come out yet. Since Luke hasn't used the name in decades it seemed like a good opportunity to introduce a new hero of color to the Marvel Universe, which is awesome. And these various new characters — The Hood, [Michael Avon] Oeming's Ares, Lyra the Savage She-Hulk, et cetera — will stick around as long as creators want to keep working with them.

Nrama: Will the original Power Man play a role in this series at all?

Van Lente: Oh, yes. Luke has a vested interest in seeing the Power Man name is continued on with dignity. And Danny and Vic will need his help — for their investigation leads them to the Penance Corporation, the for-hire prison company that has taken the place where Luke got his powers, Seagate Penitentiary, for not-so-savory reasons.

Nrama: You're re-teaming with Wellinton Alves for this. Is that a heartening prospect, getting to start in on a new project with someone that you're already familiar with?

Van Lente: I was thrilled when (editor) Bill (Rosemann) told me he got Wellinton to do the project. I thought he blew the barn doors off our Zombie Avengers story from Marvel Zombies Return, and he'll really bring a gritty feel to this street-level noir action of this project.

http://www.newsarama.com/comics/power-man-iron-fist-100723.html

So Danny does in fact have Rand Corp back up and running. :up: I can't wait to see these new villains. By the way Van Lente describes her, I look forward to seeing this Noir character.

Fraction was asked about "The Immortal Iron Fist" and any potential future with the character. The writer said that for a long time his answer was always that he didn't want to stick around and ruin the book after Ed Brubaker and David Aja had to leave, but literally within the last 48 hours, Fraction had "a stupid idea" regarding the character that may turn into a book in the future.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=27424

I really hope Fraction comes back to writing an Iron Fist book.

It does seem that Marvel still has interest in Iron Fist, which is cool. I'll be curious how Van Lente handles him as a mentor figure. He's rarely had that role in the past.

Bet you heard that there's been movement on an "IRON FIST" film, after about 9 years. Marvel hired the guy who wrote the first "XXX" film (that starred Vin Diesel) to pen the screenplay for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"