The Champions July 2007

GNR

Avenger
Reaction score
http://www.marvel.com/news/2.849?ut...utm_content=story+feed&utm_campaign=rss+feeds

Haven't really heard anything about this.We saw the new Champions in CW #6,but other than that,JQ had said many times that this book would only see the light of day if it made sense.

Let the speculation begin.

Update:The creative team was revealed at NYCC as Matt Fraction(Casanova,Immortal Iron Fist,Punisher War Journal) and artist Barry Kitson (Legion of Superheroes,JLA Year One).The book will focus on a new gov't sponsored team of characters set in Marvel's California.

Champions_Con_Silhouettes.jpg

More details here:

Kitson goes Marvel Exclusive

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102650
http://comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9771

Fraction talks Champions

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102647
http://comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=9770

call it whatever you want, but if it's not iceman, angel, herc or black widow, it ain't the champions to me.

Oh damn,this book is going to suck hard balls then isn't it jones?It doesn't come out for another 5 months,but I am totally against this book and and I can tell you right now it's going to suckzzz because it does not adhere to previous continuity!!!111.

Oh damn,this book is going to suck hard balls then isn't it jones?It doesn't come out for another 5 months,but I am totally against this book and and I can tell you right now it's going to suckzzz because it does not adhere to previous continuity!!!111.

uh...yeah...:huh:

Me thinks this is the Milliar/Hitch project.

If that's the case, what do you think the odds are on its actually being released on the solicited date? I give it 40/60, myself.

lol, yeah I'll wait for the trade...In 2010.

JQ confirmed it in CW #7.We saw the team again,but I could not put a name on some of them.

Fraction and Kitson(now Marvel exclusive) are the creators on this...

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=102647

The word is out. And that word is Champions -- The Champions. This modern incarnation was first seen in Civil War #6 and later in this week's finale, but those glimpses are proven to be just that with the announcement of their new series from Marvel here at New York Comic Con.

Written by Matt Fraction (Immortal Iron Fist, Punisher War Journal) and drawn by the newly exclusive Barry Kitson (Legion of Super-Heroes, read more about this Marvel exclusive deal ), the book, from the announcement, promises to be connected to the Champions of old in name alone.

The Champions are the California-based superhero team set into motion by the 50 State Initiative. Put together personally by Tony Stark himself, the team is a kind of social experiment for Stark – a chance to offer redemption to people that deserve it. Everyone on the team has had some sort of brush with frame and/or heroism in their pasts, but have all lost it somehow. The line-up as seen in Civil War #6 includes new characters named Hercules, Hephestos, Aphrodite, Hermes and Poseidon. But making the team doesn’t mean the hard part is over – there's a catch.

"It's competitive continuance and it only lasts a year." Said Fraction. "Let me explain."

"The Champions are a team like the Yankees are a team-- just because you play 3rd base doesn't mean there aren't 3 other guys warming up to take over for you when your knee blows out. Team members get hurt, they get mad and quit, or they can be asked to leave, and they'll be replaced by new characters playing similar positions. There's a rigid code of conduct and performance everyone's expected to adhere to, and they're expected to adhere to it in extreme circumstances and under intense pressures. Failure to do so means Stark is done spending money and time on you. Don't get too attached to anyone. And, on top of all that, in 12 months, the power-giving process is reversed, the Champions experiment is over, and our cast will be returned to "normal human" status."

Inside the costumes and the mytholocial names, all the members of The Champions are (or were) human. The mythological names refer to positions on the team – if, for example, the person in the role of 'Hermes' fails the rigid code of conduct or a performance benchmark, a new player is brought in as the new 'Hermes'. " Just as in a professional sports set-up, there’s also whole strata of characters that surround the first-team players," explains Kirtson. "An infrastructure [is] involved with The Champions – support systems, promotional considerations, powers trainers, black-ops instructors – a real dichotomy between the public Champions’ persona and their ‘give-no-quarter’ superhero activities."

The name 'Champions' is one that carries some history with it in the Marvel Universe. Debuting it's own short-lived 1975 series, Champions, it was noteworthy as Marvel's first team to be based on the West Coast.

"There's a history there, as a brand, and there's an organizational concept to the notion of the pantheon of gods that the team is built around," explained series writer Matt Fraction. "Each member plays their part in the pantheon, and Tony's deliberately wanting to tap into the pre-awareness that comes along with the old team and the, erm, really old team."

While Tony Stark will remain in an oversight capacity of the team he founded under the moniker of 'ZEUS', his new duties post-Civil War have made it so he needs someone in place with the Champions to be more directly involved. The man in the 'HERA' position is an old friend of Tony's, an actor that used to play Iron Man on a television series. "He and Stark were kind of like the Cary Grant and Randolph Scott of the Marvel U, you know? Party pals. And now that the party's over for each of them, Tony's reached out to his old friend to be a Champion," Fraction said.

In the coming months, Marvel will release more information on the series, but if we were to judge the series' excitement factor by the excitement on the two creators' faces, then it would be high. Very high.

"I feel it’s a fantastic opportunity to create something unique for the Marvel Universe with someone I consider to be one of the most exciting talents in the business," gushed artist Barry Kitson. "When I read the pitch and got to speak to Warren Simons, the editor, I was bowled over that they should want to offer me the job! A brand new series right at the heart of events in the Marvel Universe (spinning as it does straight out of the Civil War phenomenon) - what more could I ask for?"

"It is arguably much more a ‘cutting-edge’ project than I’ve been associated with generally, so I’m really relishing the thought of the new challenges. As you probably know, I enjoy team books anyway – and this is such a fresh take on the whole concept I was hooked instantly!"

Fraction is showing the chops and Kitson had me at JLA Year One.I think I'm on board.

That actually sounds pretty cool. Innovative concept for a superhero book. But now that Fraction is Marvel Exclusive, I wonder will he still be able to do Casanova?

i'll admit, today's news about the creative team is making this project grow on me by the hour, but i still don't like the use of the champions name.

i want a "real" champions book.

Well Herc and Angel siding with the Hulk is good enough for me.

Iceman is tied up in Carey's X-Men and Widow is already in Mighty.

Anybody else seeing shades of 52's Infinity Inc.? Plus, what the hell's the deal with Tony's sudden fascination with mythology? First Clor, now he's calling himself Zeus and forming teams of wannabe gods? I hope the real Hercules shows up to kick Iron Man's ass for dishonoring his people.

California is my second home,so I'm pretty stoked for Fraction's interpretation of it.

I predict he'll interpret it as sunny, warm, and swarming with celebrities.

And Syphilis. What's Cali without the Syphilis?

I'll probably give it a try because of Fraction (like his work on PWJ and IRON FIST), but I am not too keen on the premise. Looks like "generic team book #445" and TheCorpulent1 has a point about it reeking of "Infinity Inc" from 52 (DC's only huge consistant success after IC, biting into the Top 10 every month). I wanted to see the REAL Champions in action again. People say they're a "wonky team", but so are every incarnation of the New Avengers. Considering most of the "old roster" aside for Black Widow would have been anti-SHRA (Iceman & Angel were in CW:XM, Herc was a Secret Avenger, and Ghost Rider's always the rebel). Besides, the movie is doing okay and Marvel should be ****ing out on GR again. Oh, well. I see it as a missed oppurtunity. Theming heroes on Greek gods is as old as water. What next? Theming them around elements? Oh, I know! Science gone wild! No one's done that! :rolleyes:

Nice to see Fraction go exclusive, though. He's got talent. For him alone I might give #1 a try, even if it looks like Ultimates Lite.

The cover looks cool. Still on the fence of picking this up though. Fraction is a good writer, so who knows. What he said abouth Champions sounds interesting. I didn't like the way things were turning out for The New Avengers, but I bought the issue and now I think it's awesome. So I might do the same with #1. Maybe...

I'm hoping we get to get a good look at Artemis

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"