Sequels The Importance Of X-Men's Family Ties in film

def28

Avenger
Reaction score
Sorry if a similar thread exists. Seen the subject being brought up alot lately.

So far it's been pretty much ignored so how important do you think keeping the connection of related X-Men should be in the films? Does this take away potential for the characters and stories? Or are the films better off ignoring the relations because they are not significant enough?

Some examples from comics:

Cyclops and Havok
Cable and Cyclops
Rachel Summers and Alt Jean/Scott
Magneto, Scarlet Witch, Quicksilver and Polaris
Colussus and Magik
Black Tom, Siryn and Banshee
Prof X and Juggernaut
Nightcrawler, Mystique and Azazel
Mystique and Rogue(adopted Daughter)
Husk and Cannonball
Warpath and Thunderbird

Last edited:
In my opinion, the films could live without these family connections. Good, if they are acknowledged, if not, its okay as long as they give the characters good materials to work with.

I voted that it matters for some, not for all. There's some familial relationships that I'm glad weren't included (Mystique and Rogue, Nightcrawler, Nightcrawler and Azazel, Juggernaut and Xavier), some that don't bother me one way or another (Magneto and Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch - although this one seems to be addressed at least with Quicksilver), and others that I'm glad were / hope will be (Some sort of connection between Havok and Cyclops, Cyclops and Jean Grey)

Some of the relationships we can also piece together for ourselves. The absence of evidence is not the evidence of absence. Nightcrawler very well could still be the abandoned son of Mystique and Azazel. Afterall, Mystique and Azazel go off together with Magneto's Brotherhood in 1963, and we don't see their relationship after that. Azazel and Nightcrawler have the same teleportation powers and effects. We could reasonably assume that they had an affair and abandoned Nightcrawler after birth.

Last edited:
There's a really cool deleted scene from X2 where Mystique is searching through Stryker's files and finds information and images of Nightcrawler. Her reaction is just great and definitely hints at there being some sort of relationship between the two. Not sure why they deleted, it was a great nod to their familial ties.

I would like to see SOME relationships acknowledged. So far we haven't had any. It looks like we might get a Magneto/Quicksilver link in DoFP.

There aren't specific relationships I want to see included. But I think if they are doing it for Quicksilver, they should include Wanda and her link too.

Xavier/Juggernaut is going to be tricky now we saw how young Charles grew up with Mystique, so I think we can forget that one for a start.

Similar case with me.

I think some should be adressed, but not all, of course. Mainly because these movies are released with a 3 years gap, so its kind of impossible to include all on a short number of movies.

But to me the most important ones that should be adressed sooner rather than later are:

- Magneto with Pietro and Wanda. (Its the right moment to do it, with Pietro now involved, so they still have time to explore this complex relationships in two movies)

- Cyclops and Havok (Cyclops deserve some backstory and family connection)

- Mystique with Nightcrawler and Azazel. There is no rush to adress this one, but its a great connection and they could develop it slowly. With Azazel and Mystique being in FC, they have easily payed the way. So next movie could include this one, in a smart/emotional way.

Basically, these are the ones I feel would bring something really special and interesting, while being so iconic in the comics. So would be a win-win for me.

I think this is one aspect of the X-Men films in which Donner and company really dropped the ball. Back when they were setting up the X-Men Universe, they had an associate producer under their employ who has subsequently proven to be fairly adept at cinematic world building. They could have locked Kevin Feige in his office for a month or so after X-Men was greenlit and told him to sketch out a draft of potential relationships, family and otherwise, to be exploited in future installments. Unfortunately they didn't, and there haven't been many interesting relationships developed over the course of 6 X Universe films. What's next after Charles/Erik? I'd probably have to go with Logan/Stryker, with Charles/Raven, Charles/Cain, Alex/Scott, Raven/Kurt and Azazel/Raven representing lost opportunities to enrich the series.

I think this is one aspect of the X-Men films in which Donner and company really dropped the ball. Back when they were setting up the X-Men Universe, they had an associate producer under their employ who has subsequently proven to be fairly adept at cinematic world building. They could have locked Kevin Feige in his office for a month or so after X-Men was greenlit and told him to sketch out a draft of potential relationships, family and otherwise, to be exploited in future installments. Unfortunately they didn't, and there haven't been many interesting relationships developed over the course of 6 X Universe films. What's next after Charles/Erik? I'd probably have to go with Logan/Stryker, with Charles/Raven, Charles/Cain, Alex/Scott, Raven/Kurt and Azazel/Raven representing lost opportunities to enrich the series.

They should have been sketching out a draft of the film's stories, let alone the potential relationships. Then we wouldn't have had the screw-ups that have happened thus far.

And I say that as an unwavering fan of this franchise. So God knows what the detractors think. lol

Similar case with me.

I think some should be adressed, but not all, of course. Mainly because these movies are released with a 3 years gap, so its kind of impossible to include all on a short number of movies.

But to me the most important ones that should be adressed sooner rather than later are:

- Magneto with Pietro and Wanda. (Its the right moment to do it, with Pietro now involved, so they still have time to explore this complex relationships in two movies)

- Mystique with Nightcrawler and Azazel. There is no rush to adress this one, but its a great connection and they could develop it slowly. With Azazel and Mystique being in FC, they have easily payed the way. So next movie could include this one, in a smart/emotional way.

Basically, these are the ones I feel would bring something really special and interesting, while being so iconic in the comics. So would be a win-win for me.

The Mystique/Nightcrawler/Azazel might now be a bit complicated. They got rid of Azazel, they only included Nightcrawler in one film, and Mystique seems to have bigger issues going on with her journey towards becoming a cold-hearted badass.

The Havok/Cyclops link needs addressing because they included Havok in First Class.

And, as I said elsewhere, I would like to see Wanda referenced or included.

the Mystique one is pretty easy. The audience already saw FC, next movie could have a few lines from Mystique adressing her past, with one flashback involving Azazel or Kurt being born, and thats it.

And if Fox does another sequel with OT, they can get Kurt back easily, and finally met her mother. Or not. Its not needed to tell the audience she is his mother, since it could be told in a FC sequel.

Many of these relationships can be adressed not only in one movie, but in two. One set in the past, and another in the present.

Some lines here and there, to connect movies, and thats it.

There are some family connections that I think should be established (Scott and Alex, Mystique and Nightcrawler, and Magneto and his children), but the others, not so much.

I really hope they stay away from Rachel Summers and Cable being kids of Cyclops and Alternate Jean Grey/Madeline Pryor. That whole thing is just entirely way too over the top and unnecessary.

Of the things on that list the ones that I think they HAVE to address at some point are Scott/Alex, Mystique/Nighcrawler and Magneto/Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch.

A lot of the others haven't really presented themselves in the movie continuity other than Professor X and Juggernaut.

Similar case with me.

Agreed

Though Havok and Cyclops are brothers in the comics i don't see it in the movies as a must have. they can be sperate.

With that said, making Alex be the older brother of Scott with them both being Orphans works just fine and could lead into a Starjammers movie if they wanted to go that route.

The seeds are planted easily for Banshee being Siryns Dad, if they wanted to go down that road.

Siryn was a cameo in X2, I hardly doubt they even acknowledge her in the movies beyond that.

There's a really cool deleted scene from X2 where Mystique is searching through Stryker's files and finds information and images of Nightcrawler. Her reaction is just great and definitely hints at there being some sort of relationship between the two. Not sure why they deleted, it was a great nod to their familial ties.
I feel like their interaction was good enough. "Because we shouldn't have to" It showed she cared about his plight.

They don't even acknowledge the Nightcrawler/Mystique relation in the comics. I'm gald they ignored the Mystique and Rogue connection.

I would of like if they have Cyclops and Havok as brothers and Siryn being Banshee's daughter.

Mystique is one of my favourite X-Movie characters. she's a villainess but one who's fighting for people undeniable rights. If they Won she'd be looked back as a pioneer fighting to civil rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"