Xbox The Initiative's Perfect Dark

Finally!! Aside from the Fable Reboot, this was another worst-kept secret......lol.

Looks interesting and just the type of exclusive franchise that Xbox desperately needs.

Though I'm really hoping it's NOT a 1st person shooter. But based on the video, I'm getting the impression that it might be?

Also, this is another project that seems way off in the future. So while it's interesting, I can't get terribly excited for it yet.

Yeah, we knew this would be Perfect Dark. Looks decent to me.

Finally!! Aside from the Fable Reboot, this was another worst-kept secret......lol.

Looks interesting and just the type of exclusive franchise that Xbox desperately needs.

Though I'm really hoping it's NOT a 1st person shooter. But based on the video, I'm getting the impression that it might be?

Also, this is another project that seems way off in the future. So while it's interesting, I can't get terribly excited for it yet.
The other games were both FPS so I'd think this one is likely to be too.

The other games were both FPS so I'd think this one is likely to be too.
Well, if that's the case, then that would unfortunately dampen a good portion of my interest in the game. FPS games are at the bottom of my list of preferred game types.

I would much rather this be a 3rd person action/stealth espionage game like Metal Gear Solid. Now THAT would get my attention.

Regardless, it's good that they finally acknowledged the existence of this game. So now we'll just have to see what kind of game it shapes up to be and when it will come out. This looks like it will be another strong game to add to the future Xbox lineup. Which is good for Xbox 3 or 4 years from now, but still doesn't do much for it today.

The modern Fallout games have a completely different perspective than the original two entries. This could end up being TPS just like the new Fable could be in FPP...

Either way, I'm good. They could make a top-down twin-stick shooter and I'd be good too. Just give me a good PD game like the N64 one.

one of the main reasons why I love Rare Replay is it has both the N64 PD and the 360 sequel PDZ

Insiders describe ‘fast and furious’ exits from Xbox’s Perfect Dark studio | VGC

As much as half of the core development team known to be working on the upcoming Perfect Dark reboot quit the company during the last year, or around 34 people, analysis of employee LinkedIn profiles has revealed.

That includes most of The Initiative’s senior design team, including game director Dan Neuburger, design director Drew Murray, lead level designer Chris O’Neill, principal world builder Jolyon Myers, two senior system designers, a group of three former God of War designers and more.

And the turnover of top talent doesn’t end in design. Perfect Dark’s two most senior writers also recently quit, analysis shows, along with the project’s technical director, tech art director, lead gameplay engineer, lead animator, QA lead and more.

According to LinkedIn, The Initiative is now less than 50 people (when duplicates, former employees and erroneous listings are removed) and currently has just three roles advertised on its website. Analysis suggests it hired around 12 people in the past 12 months.
Interviews with multiple former senior developers cited a lack of creative autonomy and slow development progress as the reason for their departures, and described the wave of exits as “fast and furious” with project momentum said to be “heavily affected”.

The Initiative’s management told VGC it’s confident in the team it has in place, and new talent joining, and pointed to industry-wide staffing challenges during the Covid-19 pandemic.

Small team working on an "AAAA" game. Hopefully, the collaboration with Crystal Dynamics goes well.

Wonder if the sale of Crystal Dynamics makes any difference long term here. Maybe for sequels at least. All this shows how hard it can be to start a studio from scratch.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"