The Internship

I just think the movie is 7 years too late with its 'Google' theme. Just like how I thought 'Burt Wonderstone' felt dated by its release.

The film is not outdated at all.

You've got two middle aged men who lose their jobs due to the economy.

You have tons of people in their early twenties and teenagers who believe that the American dream has completely disappeared and that they are living in a society where the chance of becoming someone is smaller than it ever has been for any previous generation.

These things and way of thinking is very current and a reflection of the poor economic climate and what being in that climate for years has done to the outlook of those who are younger compared to the possible outlook of those who have seen more or grew up in a much different climate. In other words, it is very current.

Also the idea for google came from looking around and seeing all of these people losing their jobs and then reading up on how much they have at google and the dynamics of that difference. Seven years ago, the world was a much different place economically. Seven years ago, these interns would have been more optimistic. They tackled the in-the-now view younger generations, or at least I, have towards the economy and job marketplace despite being at the top. Seven years ago? It just seems like this would have been seen as science-fiction or 20 years too late (unsure what the 80s economic crash was like).

Last edited:
There's so much wrong with that statement that I don't know whether to reach through the screen to push you out of your seat or to quietly suck it up and repress my feelings until my head explodes.

Well I'd be more excited about this film if it was R-Rated.

Honest to God, this movie can go and **** itself.

I'm SICK of the adverts on YouTube. There is no way in hell I'm going to see this!

:cmad:

I've seen absolutely no advertisements on YouTube at all for it...

The film is not outdated at all.

You've got two middle aged men who lose their jobs due to the economy.

You have tons of people in their early twenties and teenagers who believe that the American dream has completely disappeared and that they are living in a society where the chance of becoming someone is smaller than it ever has been for any previous generation.

These things and way of thinking is very current and a reflection of the poor economic climate and what being in that climate for years has done to the outlook of those who are younger compared to the possible outlook of those who have seen more or grew up in a much different climate. In other words, it is very current.

Also the idea for google came from looking around and seeing all of these people losing their jobs and then reading up on how much they have at google and the dynamics of that difference. Seven years ago, the world was a much different place economically. Seven years ago, these interns would have been more optimistic. They tackled the in-the-now view younger generations, or at least I, have towards the economy and job marketplace despite being at the top. Seven years ago? It just seems like this would have been seen as science-fiction or 20 years too late (unsure what the 80s economic crash was like).

That is DEEP. DEEP POOP I meant. :)

I understand that because I'm dealing with that. But I still stand by what I said. It's not like we haven't seen 'rowdy Old School dudes and uptight New School dudes teach and learn from each other' story before; it's been retrofitted to make it appropriate for today's market.

Last edited:
That is DEEP. DEEP POOP I meant. :)

I understand that because I'm dealing with that. But I still stand by what I said. It's not like we haven't seen 'rowdy Old School dudes and uptight New School dudes teach and learn from each other' story before; it's been retrofitted to make it appropriate for today's market.

I wouldn't say deep, as I was being blatant, it's just real.

And the bold - EXACTLY - goes against "it's 7 years too late." If it's been fitted for the times, how is it also too late for the times? It can only be one or another.

@ Whiplash are you in the states? I think 'The Internship' is more or less out of theaters in the states by now so I don't know why they would be advertising it, unless you're out of the country and it's just come out around you?

I think you're overselling the movie, haha.

The entire premis feels so outdated. I mean, if this came out in 2004, then sure. But in a post-Social Network, smart phone era, this feels out of touch.

'The Internship' Poised To Be Biggest Comedy Of 2005

[YT]XqBLBqM7B4Q[/YT]

Yes, I'm not alone! Watch the video, Ultimate Hero. Watch it reallll goooooood!

THANK YOU, ONION!

I can see some of the jokes having played better in the past such as Harry Potter and The X-Men (although there's a Wolverine movie coming out this summer also). Old people not knowing how technology works at all, well I see that all the time with my parents (I'm 25 - so they're not elderly). However the tone of the film would have seemed science fiction back then; that was a time when it seemed like the world was wide open for our generation and things were looking phenomenally good - so young people being worried sick about not making it anywhere despite clearly being at a top company would have seemed remarkably off. Back then things were optimistic, today - such as in the movie's overall tone until the ending - things are pessimistic; it would have come off as an odd science fiction tale.

I give it a 7-8/10 and stand by that. I can see what you mean if you mean some of the jokes such as Potter and X-Men, but I don't see how that could impact how someone views it. I could view a film from the 80s and still enjoy it, but I'm weird that way.

Man, you are a weirdo! ;) You would actually go out of your way to defend the film huh? Man, I guess I'll give you props for that.

Overall it was a feel good comedy. Some jokes would have played better in the past.

But -- key point --

Are you really saying young people were as pessimistic about their future careers as they are today? It's not more pessimistic today?

I rather liked it. Good fun, couple of subtle pokes at various generations.

I loved this movie. If it's not the best comedy of 2013 tied with This Is The End, I don't know what is.

Identity Thief, Hangover III, The Heat... None of these matched up to The Internship, in my opinion.

I view Vaughn/Wilson as sort of the Mattheau/Lemmon of this generation. I can't get enough of them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"