Sequels The Invisible Jet. How to make it work?

Silvermoth

Krakoan native
Reaction score
I could think a clever writer could make it work. After all, characters like Zeus often fashion swords or ponies for heroes in previous movies/media. There's no reason why a modernisation couldn't include Zeus making an jet.

Just please don't make it Wayne tech :cmad:

I'd really just rather have Diana learn how to fly. We already have a character who uses a jet for transportation, and after seeing the "old world" culture of Themyscira, seeing her suddenly flying around in a high tech vehicle is a little too jarring for my tastes.

They don't have to make it Wayne tech. They could easily make it one of the missions in the sequel to steal a supersonic stealth jet from the enemy that has cloaking capabilities. Then in mid flight they get fired upon while in cloaked mode, and it can't decloak.

The only problem is that

something like this could've done with Steve Trevor, who is a pilot, but he's dead in the movies now. But there's no reason Diana couldn't have learned to pilot a plane in 100 years.

Diana could still have flying capability herself, but if she has to transport a number of passengers at once in a mass rescue, then she won't be able to hold everyone. So the only way would be to transport them on a jet. And if it is a stealth jet which she steals and pilots, then it could cloak. She could think they're safe from detection until another plane fires upon them as it can still somehow detect cloaked vessels. If the other plane damages the cloak, then once Diana has won the aerial battle and landed and tries to decloak, she'll find that it can't and is stuck in invisible mode.

And that's all they would need for the film - that one scene as a nod to the invisible jet, where it became an "invisible" jet accidentally through battle.

She could store it somewhere, so that people don't bump into it, but only pull it out when needed. But she could fly under her own power most of the time.

Have it be a plane that has cloaking technology.

^perfect! Although I do love a slightly mythic element to it. Even if it is a plane

I don't think it even needs to stay invisible the whole time for it to be considered an "invisible jet". In Star Trek IV: The Voyager Home the Enterprise crew left the cloaked Klingon Bird of Prey in the park somewhere in San Francisco. For all intents and purposes, it was an invisible plane.

When the marine biologist Gillian saw the aluminium sheets being lowered into it, it looked to her like an invisible vehicle of sorts. Someone could easily refer to Diana's cloaked plane as an invisible jet, even though it isn't invisible the whole time. Or even Diana herself could refer to it like that.

Sue Storm is called the Invisible Woman. She's not permanently invisible but has the ability to turn invisible whenever she wants. So the jet could be one that has the ability to cloak or decloak, but is just informally referred to as the "invisible jet."

Yeah, I'm fine either which way when it comes to the invisibility aspect, either through technology or some Greek/Amazon magic thingy enabling it.

In general, I'd like more of the "outlandish" elements of Golden Age Wondy - purple healing ray, mental radio, magic sphere, etc. in some modern, semi-plausible, roundabout way. It would make Paradise Island and the Amazons more comic book-y.

I want the transformation spin.

I think it's the modern jet imagery that doesn't work, so I'd take inspiration from more primitive technology like the Trojan Horse. I'd have it shaped like an eagle, made from materials like wood, stone, and marble, and and operated by ropes, pulleys, gears, etc. And if we can have a magic lasso and an invisible island, I don't think a ship that turns invisible is a stretch at all.

I'd also make it pretty big too, so it's not just a transport, but a hidden base for WW.

Last edited:
This is an interview with Patty Jenkins which is a few months old.

http://uproxx.com/movies/patty-jenkins-wonder-woman/2/

She addresses the invisible jet and seems to want it:

Are you going to do the invisible jet? That seems like a difficult thing to pull off in a movie.

PJ: [Laughs.] I’m gonna do it! I’m going to find a way!

On Superfriends it’s just her sitting down as she flies through the air. It’s a weird visual.

PJ: Totally. Yeah, I turn that question in my mind all the time, but I will figure it out. I approach it with this belief system: When we first talked about doing Wonder Woman, somebody said to me – nobody involved with the film, “How are you going to make her cool? All these things are so cheesy.” And I said, “Describe to me any superhero who has ever had a movie made out of them and they are all ridiculous until somebody makes it cool.” We will find a way to make a cool.

At this stage, I would have the Amazons scavenge Steve Trevor's plane from the bottom of the ocean (and the wreck of the German warship), reverse engineer the technology and improve it in innovative ways to build the invisible jet.

The next time Diana goes home, the Amazons give it to her as their Champion and representative in the outside world.

Otherwise, I guess it would need to be a Bat-plane which Diana adopts for her personal use or some kind of government jet which Diana has access to once she operates more openly and is an active liaison / agent for the government.

Or they could fully establish the Justice League as its own corporate like entity, with headquarters, vehicles, etc and the jet is one of the official company jets. But, that seems very unlikely at this stage.

It'll likely evolve from Wayne Tech, or STAR Labs Tech. I don't see how it can be Thymescirian(sp?) as they seemingly live in a world without any forms of technology; they still ride horses and shoot arrows from bows. The sudden ability to build a fighter jet that's not only modern, but invisible seems beyond them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"