Justice League The J'onn J'onzz/Martian Manhunter Thread

Regardless of the actor I want this kind of body suit:

prometheus-bts-engineer7.jpg

and this suit and design:

martian_manhunter___i_just_love_that_name_by_nebezial-d5b6bbz.jpg

Prometheus for Martian Manhunter!

Last edited:
crisis03.jpg

J'ONN: Hugo Weaving is the perfect choice to play me.

Hugo-Weaving.jpg

Look we even have the same head.

I mentioned this in the JL casting thread. I always thought Jason Clarke looked and acted like an alien in everything. He's really got the Martian Manhunter forehead.

jason-clarke-2.jpg

how about Rupert Everett...

he's got that really tall lanky frame (he's like 6'4" I think) that they could really build on with prosthetics or a muscle suit,
and has very unique elongated facial feature (you wouldn't even need prosthetics, just shave his head and paint him green)

If i didnt know any better, id think Martian Manhunter was modeled after Lance Reddick!

manhunter3.jpg

Here is something rough that I whipped up. Basically my feeling on the costume is Alex Ross' Cyclops meets Hellboy. The actor can't simply be painted green. There would be facial appliances, and when the character's shirt/jacket is off; the actor will have to wear a full body appliance like Ron Pearlman did.

cyclops.jpg

2008-02-14-hellboy2valentines_lg.jpg

I would cast Ted Levine of Silence of the Lambs:

ted-levine_l.jpg

Last edited:
Not to sound racist but I would personally prefer a black man to play Martian Manhunter because I really want the JL movie to use the original seven. Out of the original seven, they're all white minus Martian Manhunter whose real form is alien looking. You will need at least 1 non-Caucasian looking actor in the league for racial diversity and I don't want John Stewart over Hal Jordan. The only way to do the original seven is by making John black.

A black actor could be cast in either the role of The Flash or Blue Beetle. What would pay off more overseas would be a Chinese actor as Blue Beetle...

Martian Manhunter is a character that is going to be centrally defined by the skull and face of the actor playing him (though there will be prosthetics involved). The only actor of color whose face I could see playing Manhunter is The Rock, Dwayne Johnson; who is part Samoan, but I would rather cast a stronger actor and voice (than a body).

Manhunter requires an actor of European origin. The character just will not look right with a black actor.

I'm talking about his human form. He can be played by a black actor when he shapeshifts in his human disguise (John Jones) and can be voiced by a black actor when he is in his true Martian form (where he will not resemble a black or a white man). Also, I said I want the original seven in the film and Blue Beetle is not a member of the original seven thus he doesn't count. And even if WB doesn't do the original seven, Blue Beetle almost definitely won't show up in the first JL movie. You would need to keep the racial diversity for the first movie too. Also, not to sound racist but the Flash should stay white since all his incarnations are white. Though I prefer Hal Jordan over John Stewart, John Stewart being used would at least make more sense than a black Flash.

A black actor could be cast in either the role of The Flash or Blue Beetle. What would pay off more overseas would be a Chinese actor as Blue Beetle...

Martian Manhunter is a character that is going to be centrally defined by the skull and face of the actor playing him (though there will be prosthetics involved). The only actor of color whose face I could see playing Manhunter is The Rock, Dwayne Johnson; who is part Samoan, but I would rather cast a stronger actor and voice (than a body).

Manhunter requires an actor of European origin. The character just will not look right with a black actor.

First of all... They will not make Flash Black for a JL movie.

Second... Manhunter does not require an actor of European origin. Prosthetics and CGI will be covering up the actor, so it wouldn't matter.

Last edited:
^ :hehe:

but seriousness Green Lantern should be black as well as Jon Jonzz

I'd like that, because I grew up watching John in the JL cartoon. I would settle for just J'onm, though, because I think they're set on using Hal.

Last edited:
evilmm10.jpg

This is Ma'alefa'ak from the Justice League: Doom dtv. I love his look in this movie I think some elements of his costume could be adapted into MM's. I really like this cape design.

Also, Martian Manhunter's human secret identity, John Jones, was black in the film. I liked that, Ive always imagined him as black after watching JLU. If they were able to show that in the JL movie that would add a little diversity to the team (if Cyborg and John Stewart arent on the team) even though hes not actually black...

Oh and...Lance Reddick should DEFINITELY be Martian Manhunter, I've been a supporter of that for years.

add some Prometheus style prosthetics for his body and minor facial prosthetics and this dude will look DEAD ON Martian Manhunter

lance_reddick.jpg

Or Peter Mensah, Ive supported him for a while too. Basically these two are in my opinion the ideal actors to play MM.
Peter_Mensah.jpg

Last edited:
REDDICK for Martian Manhunter. Mensah could play Ma'alefa'ak if he's ever in a movie.

Lance_reddick_shirtless.jpg

That's a pretty good idea. I really liked the plot for Justice League Doom. MM was used well as was Male'fa'ak

Definitely, I loved what he did to J'onn in that bar. Their fights were very epic, especially with all of the shapeshifting into Martian creatures. That's one of the main reasons why I want to see them both on the big screen, just for the dynamic fights.

I'd like that, because I grew up watching John in the JL cartoon. I would settle for just J'onm, though, because I think they're set on using Hal.

I always believed the John in the JL cartoon was John Stewart only in look and name. In character, personality, and mindset, he seemed a lot more like Hal.

First of all... They will not make Flash Black for a JL movie.

Second... Manhunter does not require an actor of European origin. Prosthetics and CGI will be covering up the actor, so it wouldn't matter.

The race of The Flash isn't important-- the suit is what's important for his character. I could easily see Will Smith as The Flash.

Using CGI for Manhunter is not needed no matter what race the actor is.

I find it kind of racist and typical of Hollywood to cast the character that is the "other" as a black man and then cover up his blackness with Anglo prosthetics.

The race of The Flash isn't important-- the suit is what's important for his character. I could easily see Will Smith as The Flash.

Using CGI for Manhunter is not needed no matter what race the actor is.

I find it kind of racist and typical of Hollywood to cast the character that is the "other" as a black man and then cover up his blackness with Anglo prosthetics.

The suit is an important part to the character... however, race is as well. Sure, you could easily see Will Smith as the Flash... but then again, you have an odd point of view that alienates a few people on here, so it's no surprise. The Flash is a white guy, WB's not going to change that.

A mixture of CGI and prosthetics is necessary. For example, the CGI would be added to his eyes for the glow they have. J'onn's been depicted as a "black" man in he comics and animated shows. This has nothing to do with Hollywood or racism. Also, we'd see the black actor fully when J'onn shapeshifts into him to conceal his Martian form.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"