The Last of Us The Last Of Us 2

I never bought Ellie’s motivation, to leave her life and go avenge Joel. They only knew each other for what 5 years, and half of it she didn’t care for him. I feel she would’ve said nope Joel wouldn’t want me to go after these people and sit at home with her new gf. Story was kind of lazily written. I did really enjoy it though.
She loved him for the bulk of those 5 years and he was the only consistent figure in her life for a long time. They created an unbreakable bond during the adventure of TLOU. If you think she didnt care for him for half of the time she knew him, you completely missed a significant emotional beat of the second game. She was estranged from him, but she never stopped loving or caring about him. She was hurt bc she did care. She wouldnt have had the passion had she not. Their final scene in the game which was a flashback highlighted this and she went on this quest to avenge him bc she let her stubborness consume her for too long to the point tha she wasnt able to forgive him while he was still around to recieve it. I thought Ellie was annoying and at large times unlikeable but her actions in the game were very much in character with whom we saw established in TLOU1. She was also suffering from depression and PTSD and in a society without proper mental health care, it makes her actions even more understandable

I think it's mainly the ending of TLOU2 that doesn't make sense. If that was the ending they wanted they should have tweaked the gameplay to support that better. It's one of the best examples of ludonarrative dissonance that I've played.

What I hate about the last of remakes is these games didn’t even need remakes. I mean the second one came out not even five years ago. Just squeezing money out of their fans.

What I hate about the last of remakes is these games didn’t even need remakes. I mean the second one came out not even five years ago. Just squeezing money out of their fans.
It’s too much easy money, very low dev costs but still decent sales. But yeah, usually you’d want remakes after more of a gap from the originals. Remasters for new gens would be fine if the cost to buy them were notional (or even better free :cwink:).

I never bought Ellie’s motivation, to leave her life and go avenge Joel. They only knew each other for what 5 years, and half of it she didn’t care for him. I feel she would’ve said nope Joel wouldn’t want me to go after these people and sit at home with her new gf. Story was kind of lazily written. I did really enjoy it though.

What a fascinating take.

I think it's mainly the ending of TLOU2 that doesn't make sense. If that was the ending they wanted they should have tweaked the gameplay to support that better. It's one of the best examples of ludonarrative dissonance that I've played.

Whenever you had to fight one player character as another, I did not enjoy it. I think it was interesting as an idea, and it did make me feel different things, but it was an overall unpleasant experience. It kind of undermined all the time you spent with both of them to beat up one of my characters while playing as the other for a boss fight. Could have easily been cutscenes, and I think I'd rather the game siezes control of both characters rather than one arbitrarily..

Whenever you had to fight one player character as another, I did not enjoy it. I think it was interesting as an idea, and it did make me feel different things, but it was an overall unpleasant experience. It kind of undermined all the time you spent with both of them to beat up one of my characters while playing as the other for a boss fight. Could have easily been cutscenes, and I think I'd rather the game siezes control of both characters rather than one arbitrarily..
I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be unpleasant.

I'm pretty sure it was supposed to be unpleasant.

Almost certainly, but it worked too well I guess, and severing your connection to the other character was not worth it to me. Least favourite parts of a game I love.

I definitely respect the game more than I like it. I appreciate what the creators were going for, and admire that they were really trying to say something as artists instead of creating a product. I just don't think they stuck the landing. The game's pacing and structure is kind of a mess, and hitting the same exact notes with Ellie over and over was exhausting. Regardless of what the intention was, she's irredeemable by the end of the game and I have no desire to play as her again.

8a2w0jze4obc1.gif

Yeah what I love most about 2 is they told the story they wanted to tell. For whatever reasons they had. Wasn’t the safe route and I can respect that.
I respect and understand the story that they wanted to tell. The only real issue I had with the whole thing was
making it seem like Joel had a bigger role in the game than he did in the marketing. Specifically, the end of this trailer:

Not featuring Joel at all in a trailer is one thing but blatantly editing him in over a completely different character in the final game was a dick move.

I respect and understand the story that they wanted to tell. The only real issue I had with the whole thing was
making it seem like Joel had a bigger role in the game than he did in the marketing. Specifically, the end of this trailer:

Not featuring Joel at all in a trailer is one thing but blatantly editing him in over a completely different character in the final game was a dick move.

Yeah that’s cheap and weak. Really bad taste to do that. Just tell your story and let the chips fall. Who does that? Has that ever been done before?

I know it was similar in avengers where they had the hulk running with the whole crew in the trailer.

Yeah, every so often Marvel has edited characters out of their trailers to keep surprises, which to me is fine. The fact that Hulk and the whole crew running towards the camera at the end of the first Infinity War trailer was the big money shot of the trailer and it didn't even end up in the movie was ridiculous but it still wasn't as big a slap in the face as what Naughty Dog did with that TLOU 2 trailer.

Yeah, I get why they did this, but this was a bad call imo. There's a line between trying to keep your twists close to the chest and lying to people about what they're getting into and I do think they crossed that line on this one, even if I do largely love the game that came out.

I didn't end up finishing season 1 of the show, but now they've pulled me back into season 2 with casting choices, I do hope they punch up one storyline in this game a fair bit as I found it really sloppy and underwritten in contrast to some really thoughtful work elsewhere in the game.

Should be a clear line really. You can assemble your footage any way you like to present the game in a trailer. Preserving secrets is fine, and there are a lot of things you can obscure within a couple of minutes. This is all gravy. Creating fake footage for a trailer is deceptive, regardless of how innocent the intentions. Unnecessary too.

Exactly. Completely omitting a character from a trailer means nothing. You're not confirming one thing or another by doing that and it's still an obviously much safer route to take than false advertising.

I don't even wanna think about what the reaction would've been to the switcharoo Kojima pulled in MGS2 with social media the way it is today.

There was more than enough Joel footage to make him the final point of any trailer and misdirect fans in any way.

Seeing a more in-depth look at what it has to offer, $10 for an upgrade if you already own the game is reasonable.

Seeing a more in-depth look at what it has to offer, $10 for an upgrade if you already own the game is reasonable.

I don’t have time to replay it but it’s a much more sensible way of doing it. People who have never played it can pay full price for an improved version. People who’ve already paid to play and own it can be rewarded with a nominal price to upgrade. I hope this is the system going forward. Full price for remasters isn’t fair if people have already paid full price for the original game.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"