The Lovely Bones

Little more:

Gosling out at 'Bones'

By Michael Klein
Inquirer Columnist

Actor Ryan Gosling packed up and left the Main Line over the weekend.

This ended a whirlwind of talks with filmmaker Peter Jackson and execs over his role in The Lovely Bones, the drama that started shooting yesterday in Malvern.

My source says filmmakers were irked at Gosling's plans for the role of Jack Salmon, the lead character's father. Gosling grew a beard, shaved a bald spot into his scalp and put on lots of weight - much more than the "20 pounds" that the trades posited yesterday. "Creative differences" was the stated reason for his departure Saturday.

Mark Wahlberg was overnighted the script and just like that, he was on board opposite Rachel Weisz.

Wahlberg, who has shot The Happening, Invincible, The Italian Job and The Shooter in the area, will arrive tomorrow. His scenes are to begin later this week, so the six-week shoot will be unaffected.
:csad:

On a different note good to see Wahlberg back in Philly again!

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/830/830921p1.html

Gosling Sets Bones Straight
Star on quitting Jackson's Lovely movie.
by Stax

US, October 29, 2007 - After it was announced that Ryan Gosling quit director Peter Jackson's upcoming adaptation of The Lovely Bones and was replaced by Mark Wahlberg, there was a flurry of industry reports and speculation about what caused the departure. Now Gosling himself has gone on the record about what happened and castigated the media for rumor-mongering.

"I think, people are making it a far more interesting story than it actually is," Gosling informed Parade.com/culturepop. "The age of the character versus my real age was always a concern of mine. Peter and I tried to make it work and ultimately it just didn't. I think the film is much better off with Mark Walhberg in that role. Peter Jackson is an incredible filmmaker and I'm here to tell you that he has things up his sleeve that are going to blow peoples' minds. I'm going to be the first person in line to buy tickets."

Gosling would have played the role of Jack Salmon, the father of murdered child Susie Salmon (Saoirse Ronan).

The actor, currently winning raves for his new film Lars and the Real Girl, also shot back about reports that he's difficult to work with. Gosling said, "The media always slant things in a negative direction. If somebody said I was easy to work with, they'd make that sound bad, too."

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=38876

First Photos From The Lovely Bones Set
Source: The Philadelphia Inquirer
October 29, 2007

The Philadelphia Inquirer has published the first photos from the set for Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones shooting in Willistown Township, Pennsylvania. The drama stars Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz, Saoirse Ronan, Stanley Tucci, Susan Sarandon, Michael Imperioli, Rose McIver and Carolyn Dando.

You can view the photos here, and for more plot details, click here.

http://uk.movies.ign.com/articles/830/830921p1.html

Gosling Sets Bones Straight
Star on quitting Jackson's Lovely movie.
by Stax

US, October 29, 2007 - After it was announced that Ryan Gosling quit director Peter Jackson's upcoming adaptation of The Lovely Bones and was replaced by Mark Wahlberg, there was a flurry of industry reports and speculation about what caused the departure. Now Gosling himself has gone on the record about what happened and castigated the media for rumor-mongering.

"I think, people are making it a far more interesting story than it actually is," Gosling informed Parade.com/culturepop. "The age of the character versus my real age was always a concern of mine. Peter and I tried to make it work and ultimately it just didn't. I think the film is much better off with Mark Walhberg in that role. Peter Jackson is an incredible filmmaker and I'm here to tell you that he has things up his sleeve that are going to blow peoples' minds. I'm going to be the first person in line to buy tickets."

Gosling would have played the role of Jack Salmon, the father of murdered child Susie Salmon (Saoirse Ronan).

The actor, currently winning raves for his new film Lars and the Real Girl, also shot back about reports that he's difficult to work with. Gosling said, "The media always slant things in a negative direction. If somebody said I was easy to work with, they'd make that sound bad, too."

Some class comments :up:...good to see no hard feelings.

saoirse441.jpg

"The Lovely Bones" Halts Filming
By Garth Franklin
Thursday, May 1st 2008 12:37am
Flicks.Co.Nz reports that Peter Jackson's "The Lovely Bones" has ceased filming due to a rift between Jackson and his art director over the best way to depict Heaven.

A large portion of film takes place in that mythological/spiritual realm where the main character Susie Salmon looks down on her family after her murder.

The Wellington crew are said to be having a break while the creative differences are sorted. The project has undergone some visible arguments before, notably Ryan Gosling being replaced by Mark Wahlberg several days before filming began at Jackson's behest.

In related news, Susan Sarandon talked about her experience playing the comical alcoholic grandmother in the film with Empire this week. Whilst she praised Jackson, she seems more reluctant about her performance - "I'm really curious to see what it's like because he kept pushing me to be more and more extreme and sometimes that's when you make your big mistakes so I'm not sure how it will come off - it will be interesting to see it from the point of view of the audience"

geez....hopefully everything works out

so he loses howard shore and how his art director...hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I've heard nothing but great things about the book. Been meaning to pick it up...

The Lovely Bones Set for Fall of 2009
Source: ComingSoon.net May 3, 2008

On Thursday, New Zealand site Flicks.co.nz reported a rumor that director Peter Jackson's The Lovely Bones had ceased production "due to a rift between the big man and his art director over the best way to depict Heaven. Given that a large portion of film takes place in that very location, with main character Susie Salmon looking down on her family after her murder, this seems a crucial point of difference." The site has since updated the story to make it seem like this happened a while back.

On top of that, DreamWorks/Paramount told us on Friday that the drama will hit theaters in the fall of 2009 and not on March 13, 2009 as it was reported by sites last year. We asked the studio if this had anything to with the supposed "rift" between Jackson and his art director, but that's not the case at all.

Turns out, the movie was never scheduled for March 13 at all, there has not been a delay or "rift," and a fall 2009 launch was always the plan. DreamWorks chief Stacey Snider cleared up the issue by telling ComingSoon.net, "It was a very smooth shoot with no dissent, and all heaven sequences requiring sets or Art Dept involvement were completed on schedule in March. The only shooting remaining involves blue-screen VFX elements, which will be shot in June."

An adaptation of the Alice Sebold best-selling novel, The Lovely Bones tells the story of Susie Salmon (Saoirse Ronan), who is murdered, but continues to observe her family on Earth after her death. Although she is detached from the world she once knew, Susie witnesses the impact of her loss on her loved ones, whilst her killer skillfully covers his tracks and prepares to murder again. In a tone that is both emotionally truthful, and darkly humorous, Susie tries to balance her desire for vengeance against the love she feels for her family and her need to see them heal; and ultimately comes to understand that the concept of family can encompass both the living and the dead.

Mark Wahlberg, Rachel Weisz, Stanley Tucci, Susan Sarandon, Michael Imperioli, Rose McIver and Carolyn Dando star in the film, co-written by Jackson and his King Kong and "Lord of the Rings" partners Philippa Boyens and Fran Walsh

Good to know that there wasn't any friction between anyone.

I don't think we can start expecting a trailer, or even pictures, until early September.

From EMPIRE's 20th anniversary magazine. Pick it up for the non-watermark version.

cow4.jpg

And from Entertainment Weekly comes this one of Stanley Tucci.

2uo4eog.jpg

I cannot wait for this film, i adore the book and i have full faith in Jackson.

From EMPIRE's 20th anniversary magazine. Pick it up for the non-watermark version.

cow4.jpg

And from Entertainment Weekly comes this one of Stanley Tucci.

2uo4eog.jpg

I can't wait to see this movie. I read the book & I loved it. & that first pic is really pretty.

^ Here's the full article from Empire's 20th anniversary issue, which those pics are from.

Just bought Empire today, i cannot wait for this film, the book is completely brilliant

This movie looks good have'nt read or heard of the book before.

need to see a trailer... currently not interested

If this is going to be anything like the book this is going to be the worst movie ever made. How many stinkers can Mark Walhburg's career stand?

I doubt it, the book was quite good.

If this is going to be anything like the book this is going to be the worst movie ever made.

superstock1614r10151.jpg

From what I have seen I think this movie looks great. I have full faith in Peter Jackson, and the book is brilliantly suited to him, considering some of his earlier films, such as Heavenly Creatures.

From what you've seen? A handful of publicity photos that barely show anything and the lead actor dropping out of the film because he thinks they're trying to make it "too interesting?" Peter Jackson is probably turning this into some kind of murder mystery type film, because he knows it's probably going to gross about as much as Heavenly Creatures at the BO ($3,000), if he's actually faithful to the book.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"