Homecoming The Mary-Jane Casting Poll - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Screams Mary Jane to me.

Me too. And I could understand them not revealing her role, if they were in fact going for a jackpot style intoduction.

Anyway, she does give me 616 MJ vibes. She just seems to exude confidence and sass.

I would love that sort of intro for her.

Zendaya at some recent events this year, just because. I think she is so stunning and it would be a waste for her to play some random character. She'd probably outshine another actress (if someone else was cast as MJ) and that would defeat the purpose since MJ is supposed to be the pretty model type.

hfdtUtM.jpg

RgWicMO.jpg

J0Xuv9u.jpg

She is too gorgeous for words. I don't see how you can get another actress for MJ to top that.

If she dyed her hair red, giving it the trademark MJ is best known for, no problem at all.

Me too. And I could understand them not revealing her role, if they were in fact going for a jackpot style intoduction.

That's definitely something I thought about it. I just don't know how she'd be in a supporting role if they were going that route, as the magic of that whole scene was not having seen MJ before she's on Peter's doorstep.

Anyway, she does give me 616 MJ vibes. She just seems to exude confidence and sass.

Agreed.

I think she is so stunning and it would be a waste for her to play some random character. She'd probably outshine another actress (if someone else was cast as MJ) and that would defeat the purpose since MJ is supposed to be the pretty model type.

More than likely. :funny:

She is too gorgeous for words. I don't see how you can get another actress for MJ to top that.

If she dyed her hair red, giving it the trademark MJ is best known for, no problem at all.

:up:

Ugh. That looks terrible. I'd prefer that Zendaya just keeps her normal colour of hair than dye it red if she were MJ.

There's nothing inherent about MJ that says she has to have red hair and couldn't work exactly the same if she had black hair or brown hair. It's about her personality. :o

What personality?!!! MJ has no personality outside looking pretty!!! :o

There's nothing about MJ that says she can't still be pretty without red hair or a personality. :o

Also, is there anything about MJ that says she has to be called Mary Jane? She could be Michelle Jacinta but her friends call her MJ for short. :o

But without red hair, there's no personality or looks identifying her to be MJ!!! :o

Is there anything about MJ that says she has to be identified as MJ? As long as she's well-written, she could have a completely different personality and looks and full name and she'd still be true to the character. :o

She could even be JM instead of MJ. Jacinta Michelle.

If Zendaya is not MJ, the only other actress I'd be super happy to see in the role is Elle Fanning

Jacinta Michelle is MJ's non-union Mexican equivalent?

Still holding out hope it'll be Kathryn Newton or Olivia Crocicchia, or some unknown who's up to the task.

I don't know if her last name even needs to be Watson. It could just be Gonzales.

Michelle Jacinta Gonzales. Or Jacinta Michelle Gonzales.

I don't know if her last name even needs to be Watson. It could just be Gonzales.

Michelle Jacinta Gonzales. Or Jacinta Michelle Gonzales.

Oi, oi. Zendaya's last name is Coleman. If she has a surname like Coleman, she can totally be a Watson.

I would love that sort of intro for her.

Zendaya at some recent events this year, just because. I think she is so stunning and it would be a waste for her to play some random character. She'd probably outshine another actress (if someone else was cast as MJ) and that would defeat the purpose since MJ is supposed to be the pretty model type.

hfdtUtM.jpg

RgWicMO.jpg

J0Xuv9u.jpg

Yeah, I can definitely see Zendaya as MJ.

Honestly I wouldn't mind if she played the part and kept her hair dark like in these images here. Red's a tricky hair color to pull off and I dunno if the Rihanna look would really work here. They'd need to really work hard to pull that element off imo.

Last edited:
Just go dark red. There was a manip of her with it and she looked fine.

Nah. I don't think she looks that good with the red hair. I think she looks better just with her normal hair. If she's going to be MJ or JM or whatever, then she should ditch the red hair and don't even bother to be called Mary Jane but Michelle Jacinta.

Unfortunately, I think the possibility of her being MJ just got a lot more likely.

Nah. I don't think she looks that good with the red hair. I think she looks better just with her normal hair. If she's going to be MJ or JM or whatever, then she should ditch the red hair and don't even bother to be called Mary Jane but Michelle Jacinta.

What would be the point in changing her name? Names aren't exclusive to any one particular race.

What would be the point in changing her name? Names aren't exclusive to any one particular race.

Because if she's already Michelle, then it sounds silly that it's some kind of cover name. Just let that be her name and have another name with a J.

Just going to share my thoughts on the matter from the Zendaya thread over in here. I'm curious to hear everyone's thoughts in regards to the bolded.
Initially I figured Zendaya would play Felicia or Liz- not because I had any sort of issue with the idea of her playing Mary Jane, but because I've been more of the mind that MJ is probably going to be more prominent than folks seem to be expecting her to be.

After all, the two big comic influences named for Spider-Man: Homecoming were Ultimate Spider-Man and Spider-Man Loves Mary Jane. Both of which feature MJ prominently and as a pretty immediate participant in Peter's life. It'd just seem odd to me for the director to refer to those specific comics if he planned on going the 616 route of introducing MJ to the MCU.

However, thinking more on it, I can definitely see Zendaya as MJ. She seems to have a certain charisma about her that was lacking in Dunst's MJ and probably wasn't there for Woodley's almost-MJ in TASM2. If Marvel wants to open up the role to other ethnicities, I'm game so long as they nail the spirit of the character.

Moreover, going back to my original point on SMH being influenced by USM and SMLMJ, I could see Marvel potentially finding a way to have their cake and eat it too by having Peter interact with MJ before officially meeting her in the classic 616 introduction as Spidey. Not that they would interact much together, but have it so that Peter keeps running into her through out the film as Spidey (without ever knowing her name) and keeps having Aunt May talk to him about going with "Miss Wonderful Personality" to the Homecoming dance.

Then at the end of the film, Peter rushes back to the house to get ready for the Homecoming dance and gets set up by Aunt May to go with MWP and discovers at the very end it's been MJ all along.

That'd be a good way of balancing out those influences, I think, no?

Note, that idea doesn't have to be accomplished only if Zendaya plays the role. It's just a possibility as to how they could handle MJ in the film, period.

That could work. I really want the film to end on some variation of the "face it tiger" line.

Because if she's already Michelle, then it sounds silly that it's some kind of cover name. Just let that be her name and have another name with a J.

There has been no official statement that she's playing Michelle. Variety calls it a mystery role and Deadline says, "I hear she will play a character named Michelle."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"