• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The MATRIX Appreciation Thread

I'd say that about the sequels but not the first film in regards to special effects. The first film seemed mind blowing and original. The sequels were a let down , but I do t absolutely despise them. However the story has been played out. I don't see a point to a fourth film other than to make money.

I can't believe Sean Connery was offered Morpheus. I'm glad he declined because Laurence Fishburne was perfect.

Kilmer was up for it, too, he probably would've done alright. But Fishburne did indeed own that part. Besides, as much as I love Connery, I don't exactly picture him performing those stunts/fights at the age he was then.

The Matrix
The Animatrix
The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions

Together it was a pretty fun series, flaws and all, it was an interesting journey, and yes, that's the order i think they should be viewed. Wouldn't mind seeing another go at this universe, be it a 4th film or a tv show.

The sequels had a lot of problems, but i think the whole saga was a passion project, i tink the Washowskis took their time to experiment a bit on what they could do inside the Hollywood system.

Keep the conversation going in here! :) I say this in a very genuine way.

I have been wondering lately what Mr Andersons life was like before he had first met the gang. We know he was a hacker of sorts but was he reading about the world as he knew it not being real? Was trinity also "online" spreading the word about the Matrix and Neo caught on and started going down the rabbit hole?

Have there ever been any prequel comics that addressed this? I know its not necessary but as a fan I like imagining.

I think the main problem with the sequels was that they took out the humanity, and the danger. In the first movie you felt the fear they had for the agents, the punches felt real and Neo showed physical signs of being exhausted and beaten. In the sequels it basically became like a video game. When the characters become invincible, you don't feel the danger in the same way. I will say that Reloaded is OK. It has some redeemable qualities, like the highway scene and the fight at the chateau. But all in all, the sequels are nowhere near as good as the masterpiece that was the original.

^ I'll agree with that first bit. None of the fights in the sequels compared to the intensity and danger of Morpheus vs Smith in the bathroom. It was scrappy, bloody and scary because you liked Morpheus and could plainly see how outmatched he was.

I remember two things from the special features of the Reloaded DVD. One was how tense the truck fight between Morpheus and the new Agent would be because of that scene in the first one... it wasn't. Because it was done in a much more sterile, cartoonish way. The second is Moss saying that anytime they showed emotion during the fights/car chase, or looked scared in any way, they'd have to do it again and maintain the outwardly cool appearance, because they shouldn't be scared... What? If you get hurt or killed in the Matrix, you get hurt or killed in the real world. Why wouldn't they be scared? The first movie made use of that. They were people. In the next two, they were boring robots.

Do you guys think it's possible for a fourth film to be made? Any ideas for a possible sequel?

I think the fight between Morpheus and the agent on top of the truck was to show how much Morpheus himself had evolved too, and that it wasn't just Neo the only one who could give agents a run for their money. I think it had to do with him not being afraid anymore or something like that.

As for more movies, I think a tv show continuation could work better for that, would give more time for the writers to develop this world. You could follow the new chosen one, or even just one normal person who was just released from the Matrix, as they go on missions that could eventualy tie back to the trilogy. It would also be a slightly different world, as humans and machines are right now in a cold war.

The first movie was genius. The second one had good action and want bad. The third one was a giant let down. Should've left it at one

Nostalgia Critic doesn't realy offer the best analysis on these films, i think Confused Matthew did a much better job.

I agree the first movie is the best, but I still like the two sequels. I think the Matrix is still a Soild trilogy overall even with the flaws such as the weird conversation with the Architect in Reloaded. To this day I don't know what the hell he is talking about in that scene lol. They could do a fourth because the peace between human's and machines was only temporary it seems. Maybe another machine goes rouge and caused tensions to arise between the two factions again.

I would be interested in a 4th movie similar in tone to the first one. Maybe a prequel of the first humans getting out of the matrix and again portray agents as threats. There wasn't any tension to the sequels, and I fear that a 4th movie would just be an excuse for a CGI fest with long fight scenes with no stakes.

Yeah the first one to me is a classic, something new and unique when it came out, just captured the time period and things around the turn of the century. Its iconic, quotable and influenced a great many things for some time after, to me that spells classic.

I liked aspects of Reloaded, has some great action moments and set pieces, I probably like it more than some just for the way Neo developed into a total BA and those great action moments and some great new characters like the Merovingian and the Twins. I recognise it has some heavy flaws and the ending was nothing more than rehash of the first one but I can still enjoy watching it.

The third was a complete let down really and the final fight between Neo and Smith was about the only part that seemed epic, the rest was a meh and sad end to what started out so amazing in the first film.

I think the main problem with the sequels was that they took out the humanity, and the danger. In the first movie you felt the fear they had for the agents, the punches felt real and Neo showed physical signs of being exhausted and beaten. In the sequels it basically became like a video game. When the characters become invincible, you don't feel the danger in the same way. I will say that Reloaded is OK. It has some redeemable qualities, like the highway scene and the fight at the chateau. But all in all, the sequels are nowhere near as good as the masterpiece that was the original.

That's exactly it. The original Matrix has you biting your nails whenever the Agents appear.

Worst-Lines-Great-Movies-Matrix-Neo.jpg

What the sequels also lack is HEART! You really feel for the characters in the first movie. The relationship between Neo and Morpheus is wonderfully developed, as is the one between Trinity and Neo, which is resolved in a very touching scene (which I love, and which makes Neo's subsequent badassery even more badass). It has that magic which the Wachowski failed to replicate in the sequels. Instead the characters ended up being caricatures of themselves in them, and the sense of peril was gone. Unfortunately they pushed for concepts, concepts, and more concepts, and of course the coolness factor, which many raved about after the release of the first movie (somehow it's as if they forgot what they originally wrote and instead went with what they read in the press about their own movie). They tried too hard to deliver that much talked about coolness, forgetting the heart of the story.

Last edited:
I would be interested in reading or watching a story about the first people to escape the matrix. Has there ever been any official insight into that?

Also going from this quote
"When the Matrix was first built there was a man born inside that had the ability to change what he wanted, to remake the Matrix as he saw fit. It was this man who freed the first of us and taught us the truth - When he died, the Oracle prophesied his return and envisioned that his coming would hail the destruction of the Matrix."

Does this imply that every time in the past when the matrix has been reset with a new The One that all the people that had escaped the matrix were alive to live to see multiple The Ones? OR every time the machines defeat the one they also discover the hiding place of the escapees and enslave them all again/kill them?

Last edited:
The great thing about Morpheus' backstory is that he is a quintessential unreliable narrator, re-telling stories that have been told to him, passed down from one generation to the next (or, perhaps, the Oracle herself) – something that the Wachowskis capitalised upon in the sequels when they turned everything on its head.

The Architect is a lot of things, but he isn't a liar (as revealed by his parting comments in The Matrix Revolutions). So I think it's safe to say that the Architect's version of the history of the Matrix is the one we can regard as canonical.

The Matrix universe is ripe for storytelling. The Wachowskis are clearly done with it, having told their stories; but they've left behind an exciting sandbox for other artists to play in.

I don't know what the future of The Matrix is, but its potential seems pretty limitless.

That's exactly it. The original Matrix has you biting your nails whenever the Agents appear.

Worst-Lines-Great-Movies-Matrix-Neo.jpg

What the sequels also lack is HEART! You really feel for the characters in the first movie. The relationship between Neo and Morpheus is wonderfully developed, as is the one between Trinity and Neo, which is resolved in a very touching scene.QUOTE]

One of my personal gripes with the matrix movie ( particularly the first movie) is the forced relationship between Neo and Trinty. I felt like they really didn't have much chemistry and the movie barely spend any time developing the two's attraction to each other.

Agreed, the romance between Neo and Trinity seemed a bit too forced in the film, Neo even had more chemistry with Morpheus.

I would be interested in reading or watching a story about the first people to escape the matrix. Has there ever been any official insight into that?

Also going from this quote
"When the Matrix was first built there was a man born inside that had the ability to change what he wanted, to remake the Matrix as he saw fit. It was this man who freed the first of us and taught us the truth - When he died, the Oracle prophesied his return and envisioned that his coming would hail the destruction of the Matrix."

Does this imply that every time in the past when the matrix has been reset with a new The One that all the people that had escaped the matrix were alive to live to see multiple The Ones? OR every time the machines defeat the one they also discover the hiding place of the escapees and enslave them all again/kill them?

Well, The Architect states that part of the role of The One is to select 16 females and 7 males from The Matrix to repopulate Zion after they destroy it. So Zion has been destroyed and repopulated 5 times in the canon. This could allude to Morpheus' line about how The One freed the first of them.

Basically, all the previous 'Ones' were kind of sell-outs, and when faced with the truth, played their designated role in perpetuating the game, until Neo finally broke the cycle.

Well, The Architect states that part of the role of The One is to select 16 females and 7 males from The Matrix to repopulate Zion after they destroy it. So Zion has been destroyed and repopulated 5 times in the canon. This could allude to Morpheus' line about how The One freed the first of them.

Basically, all the previous 'Ones' were kind of sell-outs, and when faced with the truth, played their designated role in perpetuating the game, until Neo finally broke the cycle.

Thanks for replying! :)

So do you think that there would be any remaining survivors from times of Zion being destroyed that finally got to see The One not sell out and make the difference?

Heck look at the tech they have here!??? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt5z3OEjDzU

I mean if every time The One is caught and Zion is killed then how long does it take for them to start up Zion again? Its pretty damned advanced for a group of people that arrive via the dumpster

Last edited:
The worst part of the sequels is that they completely neutralize the message of the first and far superior first film.

No longer is the message "rebel against the status quo to find your own path, your own purpose and your own truth".

The new message becomes "meh, if you can't beat em, join em".

Which makes me wonder when the Wachowskis decided to change the message. Did they become disillusioned after the release of The Matrix or were they cynics from the beginning?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"