• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

The Matrix Resurrections

I haven't seen the sequels in years so I'm going off a loose memory.

But I am mighty curious to see what Lana has in store. Going off the Wachowski's track record, I can't imagine she would do the same thing. I want to see them push things further and build on the world like the sequels did but I just hope it is well executed like the first movie. I really hope we're not getting a back to basics Matrix movie that's just like the first film.

-D1HsPUvxcwM5ydfONbrrRYoGzVxyJ-MXZox7zTADy_if6h8zqOYbZQfcFximT33mrPYXork2mN3csiJAI-mQEw

But yeah lol. There's a balance there. I think Keanu said something to the effect that the new film is "another call to wake up", so I expect there will be some surface-feeling of a reboot and history repeating. I think needs to have that to some effect to bring in a new audience and/or people who didn't care for the sequels.

At the same time, I totally agree, it's a rich world/mythology and going by the Wachowskis track record I don't expect this to just play it safe. The fact that we have the 2 dead characters returning while Laurence Fishburne is not returning is weird in and of itself and signals to me that this is probably not going to be a paint-by-numbers legacy sequel.

But if Neo is the next iteration, doesn't that mean this Matrix is in its seventh iteration and it's the exact same conflict? Or was that undone in the third?

The details of the new status quo at the end of Revolutions weren't explicit. The only known change is that people who reject the matrix will now be granted release from it. That definitely changes the nature of the conflict. Presumably the machines would have no use for a Neo in this latest iteration as they no longer need to control the numbers of rebelling humans. That said, he was described as an anomaly in the system so maybe the machines have no say on whether he pops up.

Neo reappearing has a few more answers than Trinity does. Though I suppose all the humans in the matrix are not born, they are grown. And human populations have been re-grown several times at this point.

I personally believe Lana revisiting this franchise has to be for good reason. I mean why come back 20 years later? I know, money, of course, but surely she had a special idea in mind. Besides, I think The Matrix is more relevant today than ever.

Can it be as revolutionary as "bullet time" in 1999? Probably not. They've tried in different ways with Speed Racer and Jupiter Ascending with fail. But I think if she can just make a satisfying reboot, even to Force Awakens level, a lot of fans would be happy. But I can't expect this to re-invent the wheel like the original did. Maybe she'll surprise and pull a George Miller Mad Max: Fury Road.

We can do a lot better than TFA. That sets a low standard. I'd rather a Fury Road or Blade Runner 2049. Give me a big swing that actually hits it out of the park, not a safe, committee approved, middle of the road remake that tries to not offend than follow a vision.

I think this is where it's useful for the original creator to be back kicks in. Obviously, you can have a Villenueve situation, but creators usually are good about breaking down their own creations and expanding it whereas I noticed in this era of resurrecting franchises, outsiders just end up doing the same thing because it's based on their love and affection of it. They approach it too emotionally. It's the equivalent of playing with your action figures and recreating your favorite scenes than doing anything new.

Last edited:
I personally believe Lana revisiting this franchise has to be for good reason. I mean why come back 20 years later? I know, money, of course, but surely she had a special idea in mind. Besides, I think The Matrix is more relevant today than ever.

I agree. It doesn't mean it's going to work, but I believe it's being done for the right reasons and there's a story she believes in there. The Wachowskis were very against revisiting The Matrix for a long time, if I recall. I'm pretty sure they've had a pretty cynical view about Hollywood and franchise reboots, and I think they were also pretty disillusioned by the critical and fan backlash they took for the sequels.

For Lana to revisit it, I think that definitely means that there's an idea that captured her passion and that she is being allowed to do it without studio interference. That's the thing, you just look at the Wachowski track record, and whether you like what they've done or not, I don't think there's a single corporate paycheck gig in there, so I don't see why this would be any different.

I agree. It doesn't mean it's going to work, but I believe it's being done for the right reasons and there's a story she believes in there. The Wachowskis were very against revisiting The Matrix for a long time, if I recall. I'm pretty sure they've had a pretty cynical view about Hollywood and franchise reboots, and I think they were also pretty disillusioned by the critical and fan backlash they took for the sequels.

For Lana to revisit it, I think that definitely means that there's an idea that captured her passion and that she is being allowed to do it without studio interference. That's the thing, you just look at the Wachowski track record, and whether you like what they've done or not, I don't think there's a single corporate paycheck gig in there, so I don't see why this would be any different.

No, but I can see her maybe wanting a hit movie again, which they haven’t had since the trilogy. Both Speed Racer and Jupiter Ascending were supposed to be their new trilogies that didn’t pan out. I’m sure if they had been hits, she most likely wouldn’t be making this IMO.

No, but I can see her maybe wanting a hit movie again, which they haven’t had since the trilogy. Both Speed Racer and Jupiter Ascending were supposed to be their new trilogies that didn’t pan out. I’m sure if they had been hits, she most likely wouldn’t be making this IMO.

It's possible, but I think of it more like maybe she realized there's an opportunity to use the one really successful and iconic original franchise that she created as a means to explore some new ideas that she's interested in exploring.

That’s the hope! Cloud Atlas certainly felt that way. Jupiter Ascending less so lol

Neo coming back as a program (even if we're meant to take it as his actual human consciousness was stored on a backup drive somewhere) seems like a likely path. However, if Neo has to actually wake up from a pod again and is fully back in the flesh in the same Keanu-form, then this movie will probably be significantly weirder than I even think it's going to be haha. Of course there's nothing to say the machines couldn't have backed up his DNA and re-created him...but it would beg even more questions, I think.

That's one way to live forever. Keep his consciousness in the Matrix, keep cloning a new body for him and upload his mind into it.

I still believe WB will change course and make this exclusively in theaters and not HBO Max day and date release.

It's too early to tell for me whether this film will be worth existing and not just revisiting a popular IP. With even the best intentions, it is a return to the well. Likewise, Lana has to be at least a little financially motivated in making this. I can't help but notice that Lily is not involved either. Finally, even if Lana has found a story she thinks is worth telling, we may not feel that way upon seeing it.

... Which all sounds horribly negative, but I'm not. I'm very curious. The Wachowski name ensures this will be interesting at the very least.

Looking at the cast again, I wonder if Priyanka Chopra will be playing an adult Sati, the little girl from Revolutions. The Oracle sacrificed a lot to ensure her survival, and believed she had a vital role to play in the future.

I'm not feeling this movie at all.
The trailer better be extraordinary because maybe not even that will get me excited about this sequel. Was anyone really clamoring another Matrix movie?

It's too early to tell for me whether this film will be worth existing and not just revisiting a popular IP. With even the best intentions, it is a return to the well. Likewise, Lana has to be at least a little financially motivated in making this. I can't help but notice that Lily is not involved either. Finally, even if Lana has found a story she thinks is worth telling, we may not feel that way upon seeing it.

... Which all sounds horribly negative, but I'm not. I'm very curious. The Wachowski name ensures this will be interesting at the very least.

Looking at the cast again, I wonder if Priyanka Chopra will be playing an adult Sati, the little girl from Revolutions. The Oracle sacrificed a lot to ensure her survival, and believed she had a vital role to play in the future.

Lily's non-involvement has more to do with where she's at in life. Wanting to take a step back from the big Hollywood machine, and do more storytelling that speaks directly to the issues she cares about and not cloaked in sci-fi metaphor (according to her, as I understand it). I'm pretty sure she's given the project her full blessing.

You're not wrong about those points you bring up, but I still think it's pretty cool to see the original creator of a big IP like this doing one of these legacy sequels for a change. We never got to see George Lucas' sequel trilogy. James Cameron's Terminator 3. Etc. But regardless of how it comes out, it will be interesting to see at least 'a' Wachowski's Matrix 4 looks like. Even if it's bad, at least it will have that stamp of authenticity on it and a creative vision. And I'm sure some ideas that will be worth discussing. People already didn't like the sequels, so it's not like there's much risk of "ruining the legacy", since for a lot of people that already happened. I only see upside here personally. I don't see any scenario where I go "I wish they didn't make that", even if I don't end up loving it.

I also have the same thought about Priyanka. I would think Sati absolutely has to play a role in this.

Last edited:
I rewatched the first one prior to knowing a fourth film was coming and I thought it'd be cool to revisit it. So yeah, I'm pretty geeked for this.

Maybe it's a sign of aging, but I see 'New Matrix Movie' and am immediately curious on a visual and action level alone. I know it's been 20 years but those films still hold a high benchmark for inventive action sequences.

Lily's non-involvement has more to do with where she's at in life. Wanting to take a step back from the big Hollywood machine, and do more storytelling that speaks directly to the issues she cares about and not cloaked in sci-fi metaphor (according to her, as I understand it). I'm pretty sure she's given the project her full blessing.

You're not wrong about those points you bring up, but I still think it's pretty cool to see the original creator of a big IP like this doing one of these legacy sequels for a change. We never got to see George Lucas' sequel trilogy. James Cameron's Terminator 3. Etc. But regardless of how it comes out, it will be interesting to see at least 'a' Wachowski's Matrix 4 looks like. Even if it's bad, at least it will have that stamp of authenticity on it and a creative vision. And I'm sure some ideas that will be worth discussing. People already didn't like the sequels, so it's not like there's much risk of "ruining the legacy", since for a lot of people that already happened. I only see upside here personally. I don't see any scenario where I go "I wish they didn't make that", even if I don't end up loving it.

I also have the same thought about Priyanka. I would think Sati absolutely has to play a role in this.

Agreed all round here. More than happy to see what Lana has come up with, and I'm definitely glad it's in Wachowski hands and no-one else's. I'm aware Lily is not doing the film thing at the moment but it does always put me a little on edge when the full band is not back together. Hope she's done a George Lucas and paid them a visit and stuff, maybe even contributed here and there.

Agreed all round here. More than happy to see what Lana has come up with, and I'm definitely glad it's in Wachowski hands and no-one else's. I'm aware Lily is not doing the film thing at the moment but it does always put me a little on edge when the full band is not back together. Hope she's done a George Lucas and paid them a visit and stuff, maybe even contributed here and there.

I know what you mean about the full band. Actually my biggest disappointment so far is that Don Davis isn't doing the score. To me his music was essential as anything to creating the authentic feel of the original movies. I really hope that at least his themes and musical style of the trilogy will be honored.

I hope they give us another Animatrix anthology to go with 4 once it drops. I always thought a live action version of The Second Renaissance would be a great idea.

I know what you mean about the full band. Actually my biggest disappointment so far is that Don Davis isn't doing the score. To me his music was essential as anything to creating the authentic feel of the original movies. I really hope that at least his themes and musical style of the trilogy will be honored.
The score to the Matrix is so underrated to me. To all 3 films, honestly. it's so distinct and is it's own thing.

The Matrix score might get a little overlooked because of the film's use of some pretty banging existing music too. It makes me a little less worried about not having Davis. Like so many things, the sound of the Matrix was distinct and confident in that first film that it laid great foundations to follow. I'd prefer to have him back but I think someone else will be able to tap into it.

The score to the Matrix is so underrated to me. To all 3 films, honestly. it's so distinct and is it's own thing.

Totally underrated. I also really love how it evolved with the story and he didn't just repeat himself, while still using and evolving all the same themes. The score for Revolutions is bonkers. I used to listen to Neodammerung like...at least once a day, back when I was in high school lol. Which btw...if I recall the 4 rising chords throughout that piece are based on the score for when Neo and Smith confront each other in the first film.

I hope they give us another Animatrix anthology to go with 4 once it drops. I always thought a live action version of The Second Renaissance would be a great idea.

It would be pretty cool if we got a truncated version as a prologue in this or something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"