The "MATURE" Paradox

TheGrayGhost

Sidekick
Reaction score
From a blog that I sometimes read. It is true, at least in part.

I remember when I was 13 years old (I’m 29 now) and I loved games with gore and violence (Mortal Kombat), couldn’t get enough of them. The paradox is that once you get older and old enough to purchase those sorts of games for yourself, such games no longer have the appeal they once had.

The word “mature” is a misnomer label placed on video games, it implies that the game’s target audience is mature when in reality they are not. The “mature” label says nothing of the complexity of the game or it’s difficulty. Zelda is perhaps the most mature video game that is coming out this holiday season, I submit it is more complex and difficult than say Gears of War.

The word mature has been twisted in the realm of video games. Those who seek out the “mature” games the most are likely the least mature. I do realize some people who are mature do buy “M” rated games, I’m such a person but I don’t buy “M” rated games solely based on that fact that the game has blood and guts….I used to think that way when I was 13.

If the game doesn’t have a M rating then there are some that will label the game as “kiddy”. Wii sports is cartoony and rated E, no sex, no blood or guts but it has the possibility to appealing the 30-90 crowd the most, wouldn’t that make Wii sports the most mature game?

EDIT: Crap. Can someone move this to the Wii forum?

Whoever wrote that was dumb.

The "M" rating is based on content. Cursing, Blood, Gore, Excessive Violence, Sex, Nudity, so on and so forth all get games a "mature" rating, because it's not ment for kids, or anyone under the age of 18.

Please, not this shyte again. God, if only I could reach out from the screen and slap some sense into the idiot who thinks blood, gore and sex are the only appealing factors of an M-rated game. I mean, how bloody stupid can you get? :rolleyes:

Oh and can you imagine the absurdity of that guy calling Zelda more "complicated and difficult" than Gears of War, even though he has in all probability yet to play either of those games to make an informed decision. It's dumb ****s like those why I hate so many Nintendo fanboys. :down:

Good piece and very true. A good game is a good game. Take a game like Super Mario Sunshine or Ratchet & Clank and compare it to, say, Total Overdose or NARC. Are these titles more "mature" in their gameplay somehow? Not by a long shot. Not even close. But that is the all-too-common perception - many gamers mock "kiddie" games that are far more difficult and complex than they'll ever realize simply because those games have bright colors in them and don't splatter mindless gore on the screen. Because many gamers are morons.

Bishop2 said:
Good piece and very true. A good game is a good game. Take a game like Super Mario Sunshine or Ratchet & Clank and compare it to, say, Total Overdose or NARC. Are these titles more "mature" in their gameplay somehow? Not by a long shot. Not even close. But that is the all-too-common perception - many gamers mock "kiddie" games that are far more difficult and complex than they'll ever realize simply because those games have bright colors in them and don't splatter mindless gore on the screen. Because many gamers are morons.

Likewise, many jackass "gamers" who jump on M-rated games for being nothing but shallow indulgers of our perverted, destructive urges by offering only mindless gore, sex and swearing. I mean, that's TOTALLY why people dig M-rated games. Because they got blood and sex, not because they're ACTUALLY any good, eh? :down::rolleyes:

Fenrir said:
Likewise, many jackass "gamers" who jump on M-rated games for being nothing but shallow indulgers of our perverted, destructive urges by offering only mindless gore, sex and swearing. I mean, that's TOTALLY why people dig M-rated games. Because they got blood and sex, not because they're ACTUALLY any good, eh? :down::rolleyes:

I've never seen anyone do that personally. I don't think that's really a common problem, certainly not on the level of the reverse.

Bishop2 said:
I've never seen anyone do that personally. I don't think that's really a common problem, certainly not on the level of the reverse.

Actually, in my experience, it's as common a sickness among Nintendo fanboys to lambast M-rated games like that just as much as it is common amongst mainstream gamers to put down "kiddy" titles.

Nintendo's E-rated games aren't mature either, so I don't know what this guy's trying to accomplish.

Fenrir said:
Actually, in my experience, it's as common a sickness among Nintendo fanboys to lambast M-rated games like that just as much as it is common amongst mainstream gamers to put down "kiddy" titles.

The same "Nintendo fanboys" who lapped up the Resident Evil remake and constantly blab about RE4? I dunno about that.

WhatsHisFace said:
Nintendo's E-rated games aren't mature either, so I don't know what this guy's trying to accomplish.

...and therein lies the problem. :( We're talking about maturity in terms of complexity and depth, maybe even challenge. I mean, c'mon. Super Mario Sunshine? Rated E, but getting all the shines is definitely no cakewalk. Those waterpack-less stages require an intense level of precision I've never had demanded of me elsewhere in this generation, except maybe when playing some of the last couple stages of FarCry Instincts.

Bishop2 said:
The same "Nintendo fanboys" who lapped up the Resident Evil remake and constantly blab about RE4? I dunno about that.

If you didn't know, the GC Resident Evil games are a classic case of Nintendo fanboy double standards and hypocrisy. :up:

Ah, I misunderstood. I thought we were having an actual discussion, but I guess you were really just bashing anyone who likes Nintendo. My bad. :oldrazz:

Bishop2 said:
Ah, I misunderstood. I thought we were having an actual discussion, but I guess you were really just bashing anyone who likes Nintendo. My bad. :oldrazz:

Oh no no, I just can't stand the buffoons who constantly keep lashing out at M-rated games (case in point, the threadmaker and unfortunately for you, a lot of Nintendo fanboys as well) as being nothing but delivery device for blood, gore and sex. Hey, I'm fine with you liking Nintendo and their family friendly stuff as long as you don't put down and trivialize my gaming preferences with such weak, shallow and partisan criticism.

the major problem is that gameplay has to be the act rather than the reflection on the act most of the time. now some games like to give the opertunity to reflect on what you've been doing, but they are rare and it comes in cinematics rather than gameplay. most games are an escape from any kind of thought, into the realm of survival or attack stratergies only.

If you're over 18 and you're buying a game solely because it has a lot of gore and profanity, you've already lost maturity points. God of War I like because it's a fun game, and it does have the blood, boobs and gore, but that's like an afterthought. If it didn't have the blood and gore I'd still play it. But there are people who immediately dismiss a game like Mario because they've outgrown it, even though that was the thing we all grew up on.

terry78 said:
But there are people who immediately dismiss a game like Mario because they've outgrown it, even though that was the thing we all grew up on.

I am one of those grew up with Nintendo franchises thanks to my NES, but like you said, I've outgrown that phase. I just can't enjoy many Nintendo franchises anymore like I enjoy some of the more mature games like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, Ninja Gaiden and so forth.

SouLeSS said:
Whoever wrote that was dumb.

The "M" rating is based on content. Cursing, Blood, Gore, Excessive Violence, Sex, Nudity, so on and so forth all get games a "mature" rating, because it's not ment for kids, or anyone under the age of 18.
Actually M is for 17+ AO is for 18+. And depections of sex and actualy nudity rate and AO rating.

Fenrir said:
I am one of those grew up with Nintendo franchises thanks to my NES, but like you said, I've outgrown that phase. I just can't enjoy many Nintendo franchises anymore like I enjoy some of the more mature games like Metal Gear Solid, Resident Evil, Splinter Cell, Ninja Gaiden and so forth.
What makes those more mature? The characters and the language, right? Difficult gameplay is what I classify as mature.

Personally, I own a GameCube AND an Xbox. I own Super Mario Sunshine and Animal Crossing, yes, but I also own GTA: Vice City and Doom 3. A good, complex game is a good, complex game no matter what the trappings.

terry78 said:
What makes those more mature? The characters and the language, right?

Characters, language, story, themes and gameplay.

Difficult gameplay is what I classify as mature.

Ninja Gaiden's Master Ninja mode alone rapes the difficulty of every Nintendo game ever made.

Bishop2 said:
Personally, I own a GameCube AND an Xbox. I own Super Mario Sunshine and Animal Crossing, yes, but I also own GTA: Vice City and Doom 3. A good, complex game is a good, complex game no matter what the trappings.

Technically speaking, GTA Vice City is a mighty complex game as well but because of the franchise's popularity you'll never see anyone admit that, least of all radical Nintendo fanboys.

lars573 said:
Actually M is for 17+ AO is for 18+. And depections of sex and actualy nudity rate and AO rating.

Close enough.

I think it is partially true. While a game like San Andreas is very mature in content it is aimed at the very immature. Hell, I'll admit when I play my GTA games I spend more time (by a vast majority) driving around and running people over, stealing ****, blowing up ****, killing people and just causing general mayhem than playing the actual story.

And that is what that game is made for. You don't buy Vice City for the storyline but for the chance to be a freeroaming monster. And it is VERY fun. But it is also very immature by focusing on our most primal and nastiest sides. At the same time I think the Zelda games are very much kid-friendly (especially Wind Waker). They're meant for everyone. Yet, it creates a compelling story that is far more involving or engrossing than any GTA game (again, yes even Wind Waker) that you want to see reach a conclusion and reaches a level of joy and nobility not seen in many M rated games.

I love the Resident Evil games on the other hand and feel that they are very mature and appeal to the gamer's desire to finish it and survive, same with say Metal Gear Solid. Then again you have something like Halo which is a very overrated shooter. But it appeals to your basic bloodlust of shooting anything that moves as you go from point A to point B (and I like shooters, I just preordered Call of Duty 3 for crying out loud, it is just I find Halo to be an average game blown way out of proportion).

And then you have something that is much more creative and ingenutive that is made for all gamers, let's say Super Mario 64. A lot of people didn't like it or won't play it now or then because it was an E game and very cartoony. But the gameplay was magnificent. Innovative doesn't even begin to cover it but now with blood becoming much more realistic it gets swept under the rug.

I think every level of gaming with E, T and M has great classics amongst them. But just as you get the pointless "kiddie" games at E, you also get mindless M rated games all about blood (and drug effects), like Narc. It is made not for a mature audience but for those gamers who use to play E and T rated games but after hitting puberty find something like Zelda as "kiddie" and not violent enough. While this cool M rated game is just what they want. Why play an awesome Tony Hawk game when you can slaughter people over and over again in Manhunt? Nevermind Manhunt is an incredibly boring game as all you do is murder people over and over with the same damn (but graphic) animations but somehow that at a teenage age makes a boy feel more "mature" and cooler than grappling with Gannondorf.

When you get older, I find that you just want good games because you've seen it all before. It is then you don't care if it has blood and guts or not. There is more to videogaming than that. And many M rated games lose their appeal just as say Diddy Kong racing did after a certain age. Sure you still get good M games but there are also great E rated games that can be completely ignored because they are E.

For the record Twilight Princess looks far more fascinating than Gears of War with varied gameplay and a riveting story while Gears of War is breathtaking in graphics, it seems to be your standard 3rd Person shooter with better death animations and more realistic blood spirts. Ten years ago that may have wowed me, today I am happy with just buying Twilight Princess now and waiting for the price to go down on the 360 (though Assassin's Creed and Dead Rising, both M, are the ones I really want it for right now) anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"