The Media Center Thread

Lily Adler

#forthecontent! 📹 (she/her)
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good media box that I can hook up to my television, so I can be rid of cable. I would like to have one so I can stream shows and movies through Hulu and Netflix maybe some games from Steam. I'm currently interested in a Samsung one as all my products are Samsung (computer and tablet). Then I think maybe I should save up for an X-Box One as I'm heavily integrated into Microsoft's ecosystem (I have Windows 8 computer and tablet and a Lumia).

Last edited:
Hey guys, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on a good media box that I can hook up to my television, so I can be rid of cable. I would like to have one so I can stream shows and movies through Hulu and Netflix maybe some games from Steam. I'm currently interested in a Samsung one as all my products are Samsung (computer and tablet). Then I think maybe I should save up for an X-Box One as I'm heavily integrated into Microsoft's ecosystem (I have Windows 8 computer and tablet and a Lumia).
If you can't build a HTPC yourself, you really should just invest in a PS3. It's cheaper than XBO and has Netflix and Hulu. Since PS3 has been on the market for a long time, it also has a more mature ecosystem than either PS4 or XBO.

You can also utilize PS3 Media Center. PS3 is actually the better media player of the three because it's been around longer.

I really not a big game person, nut see the advantage of using it as a full on multimedia device. I'm currently looking into Roku or Samsung's AllShare box.

I really not a big game person, nut see the advantage of using it as a full on multimedia device. I'm currently looking into Roku or Samsung's AllShare box.
You don't have to be a gaming person to own a PS3. It's still one of the best BD players on the market, and it supports a whole range of extensions to make it your go to box. You just get the cheap $150 ($200?) 16gb version and buy the media remote (or you can connect your phone and use that as a remote too), and you have a fully capable media box (especially if you utilize PS3 Media Server) that just so happens to play games as a bonus.

I use stuff like

Western Digital WDTV 1tb Media Center Hub

612HJx7wqmL._SL1500_.jpg

The Western Digital WDTV Live 1080p Wifi thingy. Does just about everything the above does. But no Hard Drive & you can just connect USBs & External Hard Drives & it will read it. Both devices also does Netflix, Hulu etc & the 2nd one is a little bit cheaper

71gwu-FTEkL._SL1500_.jpg

The 360 & PS3 just suck when it comes to what file formats they support & these two alone plays so much more then those two ever will

Last edited:
:huh:

Who said I wasn't taking your advice? I'm listening to what you are saying and applying them to my search to make an informed decision.

:huh:

Who said I wasn't taking your advice? I'm listening to what you are saying and applying them to my search to make an informed decision.
:csad:

You hate me...

dawson-s-crying-face-o.gif

:woot: jk I was just playing.

You don't have to be a gaming person to own a PS3. It's still one of the best BD players on the market, and it supports a whole range of extensions to make it your go to box. You just get the cheap $150 ($200?) 16gb version and buy the media remote (or you can connect your phone and use that as a remote too), and you have a fully capable media box (especially if you utilize PS3 Media Server) that just so happens to play games as a bonus.

Can you use your phone as a remote for the PS4 too?

Can you use your phone as a remote for the PS4 too?
I'm not sure. I don't have a PS4...yet.

I would imagine not because I've heard complaints about the media capability not being quite up to par at the moment. Sony was going "game focused," but now it's time for the PS4 to catch up PS3.

Does anyone have Chromecast? Was thinking of getting one since they added Flixster so I can watch my Ultraviolet movies on a big TV.

You just put it in the HDMI and USB ports and then use your smartphone or laptop to play the movie?

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"