The MLB Thread

That makes sense, but if I was living there, I wouldn't go out and purchase a Jersey or some sort of clothing of whomever was playing that day. It feels like sometimes, the Stadium/Arena is completely filled with at least halfway of a specific team's colors. Sometimes I wonder if they are just handing out free t-shirts to anyone.

The Mets found some happiness on a Sunday in London by defeating the Phillies in a thrilling competitive Sunday Night game.
The Mets who have found so many ways to disappoint since May 1 avoided a soul-crushing defeat because they succeeded with a late comeback. Also, the Mets did end the game with an impressive double play.

I'm pretty happy the Cubs defeated the Reds on Sunday. They've a long stretch of struggling so I'm pretty happy they avoided getting swept by a playing great Reds team.

Best hitter I've ever seen. Dude had a career batting average of almost .340, played for 20 YEARS and every, single player who had a higher career average played in an era when relief pitchers weren't utilized like they are in the modern game. That gave the past players a huge advantage in the late innings. After him, the next 2 modern day leaders are Rod Carew and Wade Boggs.

I was looking over his stats and in 20 years, he only hit under .300 once; in his (partial) rookie year when he hit a mere .289. LOL The dude hit freaking !!!!.394!!! in 1994, .370 in 1987, hit over .350 SIX times, and led the league in batting average EIGHT times. I'm laughing as I'm writing this.

He only hit .324 in his 20th, and last, season and during his career, he hit .302 with 2 strikes. He struck out about 1 time in every 25 at bats during his stay in MLB. Freaking sick......

Last edited:
The Mets have shown great resiliency since they continue to win games, and are now 6 games under 500. So it's not a long shot for the Mets now to get above 500 before June ends.

I'm not surprised the Cardinals shut out my Cubs in Chicago because the Cubs haven't been able to break out of the struggling slump. It's been a long time since they consistently won games.

The Mets have shown great resiliency since they continue to win games, and are now 6 games under 500. So it's not a long shot for the Mets now to get above 500 before June ends.

I'm not surprised the Cardinals shut out my Cubs in Chicago because the Cubs haven't been able to break out of the struggling slump. It's been a long time since they consistently won games.
They'd have to play over .700 ball for the rest of the month. While they are 7-3 for the last 10 games. I'd take the bet that they're below .500 by July any day of the week. Baseball is a funny game, but you don't even generally see really good teams playing .700 ball for extended periods of time. The Mets are playing well right now, but to expect that to continue is, IMO, a long shot.

Even as a young Dodger fan who had no love for the Giants, this is a loss. I didn't really see the early part of his career, but even as a very young fan in the bleachers at Dodger Stadium, it wasn't hard to figure out that this guy was the best all around player to ever grace the game.

RIP my brother. You are missed and remembered.

I straight up admit @Ghostrider87 could be right about the Mets being over .500 by the end of the month. That being said, I "still" don't think it would have been a good bet at the time, but he's got a lot of insight that maybe I don't.

Willie Mays......man, even as a Dodger fan, that was one guy I could just never bring myself to dislike. We could all learn something from him off the field. I'm still smarting over this one....:cry::cry:

I always wondered about about sporting events in another country and how "popular" or how manufactured it is to seem popular over here watching. There is just too many US teams to see a packed stadium for? Or is it just the spectacle of the event?

there's a few bases in the UK where a lot of us military are, and i wouldn't be surprised if they make up a good chunk of the people going too

willie mays passing really shocked me. (i mean, i know he was in his 90s, but he was recently interviewed and seemed pretty healthy)

they say it happens in 3's. Walton. West. Mays. :(

willie mays passing really shocked me. (i mean, i know he was in his 90s, but he was recently interviewed and seemed pretty healthy)

they say it happens in 3's. Walton. West. Mays. :(
Willie, William Walton, West....man, what a bummer. John Wooden used to call Bill Walton "William". LOL. He was also the only one who could get away with calling Kareem "Lewis Kareem".

Funny story about Bill Walton. He once told coach Wooden that he couldn't tell him how long his hair could be. Coach basically said, that's true, but I do get to decide who plays basketball on my team and we'll miss you. Bill got a haircut.

The Astros have a great turnaround, and can realistically get above 500 this week.

It is smooth sailing for the Mariners and the Guardians aka the team that used to be the Indians because they're both in first place.

My struggling Cubs have a realistic chance of moving into third place if they can have a successful winning week.

The Astros have a great turnaround, and can realistically get above 500 this week.

It is smooth sailing for the Mariners and the Guardians aka the team that used to be the Indians because they're both in first place.

My struggling Cubs have a realistic chance of moving into third place if they can have a successful winning week.
The Astros and Mets are both 2 games under .500, so, in order for them to get to .500 by the end the week (given you mean Sunday, the end of the month), They'd each have to go 4-1. That's mathematically impossible for both of them to be at .500 because they play each other 3 times and each can only lose one game of the next 5.

So, really, neither have a good chance of being at .500 although they, as you say, have both been playing good ball lately. I wish the Mets the best, but the Astros represent everything that is wrong with baseball....I still haven't forgiven them for the cheating misfits they are. :funny:

And, yes, I know there's been a turnover within the organization, but Tom Brady isn't playing for the Pats and they're still cheaters too. LOL

So, one thought went through my head when I called the Mets and Astros both being at .500 by the end of the month a mathematical impossibility..

It was "Huh, what if a game between the 2 teams didn't get played?". My answer to myself was "Nah......no way." LOL

Both teams are at .500 and today's game has been delayed. :funny: Next time I'll listen to myself. LOL It looks like they'll finish the game, but I kinda hope they don't and you were right on both counts. As you say, they've both been playing well and the fact that they are at .500 on Sunday shows that. I suppose you could even say they have had exciting, entertaining, and not surprising runs.

Oh well, Houston won......too bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"