The MMA Thread

Here's a long ass break down of the Rashad vs. Machida fight, and some other predicitions of tomorrow night.

Rashad vs. Lyoto. This could end up being MMA's Ali/Frazier. These dudes are that good. MMA is still new, and right now at 205 these two are the fighters with the best skill set. These two guys are undefeated for a reason, and that reason isn't for fighting cans their whole careers. This fight is very similar to two top point guards going at it like Steve Nash against Tony Parker or something similar. One guy is extremely technically sound, and the other is a guy with massive amount of athleticism. I think that athleticism will give Rashad the decision. Here's why I think he'll win. Everyone talks about how no one has figured out Lyoto yet, and that's a true assessment. But one thing that Rashad has in his favor is that he's quick enough to win the exchanges when Lyoto comes inside. Let's keep one thing real here. Lyoto's main game is striking. He may be elusive with great footwork, but the fact still remains that he's going to stand the whole fight. He may take the fight down to the ground if there's a chance, but he usually favors to out point people on the feet. Well how come everyone forgets that Rashad has lightning fast jabs, and crisp boxing? When Lyoto moves in, Rashad will tag him multiple times with a few jabs, and Rashad will then move away. Rashad is actually quicker than Lyoto on the feet, even though Lyoto's mechanics are better. But the kicker is how Rashad adjusts to Lyoto's trips. Rashad can stick and move fast enough to stay out of range, but Lyoto has some really good trips. The thing that swings this in Rashad's favor is the fact that Rashad is just as good as Chuck Liddell when it comes to staying off his back, and Rashad is also a monster when it comes to adjusting during a fight. If Rashad adjusts to Lyoto's trips early, he can use that to cause damage while moving away from Lyoto, thus causing Lyoto to actually chase Rashad. Lyoto's is not used to chasing people, and that puts him at a disadvantage. Also Rashad has the wrestling edge too. He hasn't shot for many takedowns since the Bisping fight back in late 2007, but Lyoto would be a fool not to know that Rashad has a serious wrestling game. Rashad is not Tito, and he won't telegraph his takedowns like Tito does. Another thing that goes in Rashad's favor is the fact that his strikes will do more damage over the course of the fight. Lyoto is showing that Karate can be useful, but Karate strikes aren't known to cause a ton of damage. So Lyoto's shots may not wear on Rashad as Rashad's will, but Lyoto's plan is really just to keep out of taking alot of damage. So he's mostly going to keep backpedaling and circling while using strikes to win on points. He's a very hard man to catch while doing that. But here's how the fight will go down for Rashad. Rashad will use his boxing and head movement to keep Lyoto at bay for the first couple of rounds. He'll use alot of jabs, and by the end of the second round he'll use those jabs as a set up for some power shots. In the 3rd and 4th round Rashad will probably throw some Thai kicks to wear Lyoto down, and in round 5 he'll look to capitalize on that by scoring some take downs for some ground and pound to a decision. I say Rashad wins 4 rounds to one, to win a decision.

Hughes will beat Serra by decision. Hughes is stronger than Serra, and contrary to idiot belief he isn't crappy on the ground. Serra's chance is to get a flash knockout, or to win on the ground. Both guys are old, so Hughes still has that advantage. Hughes will take Serra down, and keep him there the whole fight.

Sherk versus Edgar is a head scratcher of a match-up, because Edgar's one loss is to a guy that is basically a young Sherk in Gray Maynard. Edgar's game is his wrestling, Sherk's game is his wrestling. Sherk is stronger, and more experienced than Edgar. Edgar may be quicker than Sherk, but that's hard to say. Sherk controls Edgar to a decision.

Dan Miller armbars Chael Sonnen. Chael's arms are magnets for armbars. lol

I don't know much about Xavier Foupa-Pokam except for the fact that he's usually won by finishing his fights. I also know that Mcfedries has good hands, but is prone to a submission. I'm going with Professor X by early sub, just based on a gut feeling. Don't put too much stock in this pick.

I have Machida winning by third round TKO.

Serra by TKO in the second.

Dan Miller by submission.

Sherk by decision.

And Professor X by TKO.

noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo, aww man screw you Rashad

Man that sucks. I go 1-4 for the first time ever on my picks, and my favorite fighter got his first loss. Hats off to Machida though, he's the better man. I'm not gonna come in here making excuses like an idiot nuthugger.

Impressive win for Machida who just looks sick and unreal in the cage. Machida looks unbeatable.

I like Rampage a lot, but I'm not sure Rampage how he is can beat Machida. Rampage isn't always a smart fighter. He's bad at checking leg kicks, and he's been knocked out by tough strikers before. Shogun and Silva had their way with Rampage in Pride. Machida is powerful with his strikes and I don't think Rampage can catch him or hit him.

IMAGE REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
Machida's performance was incredible! There is no one who can touch that man, period. He is going to rule that division for a long long time. Rampage is going to suffer the same treatment as Rashad, probably quicker since Rampage is so easy to figure out.

I'm glad Hughes won. He didn't look as impressive as I would have liked, but he got the win regardless. I give Serra credit for defending off his back as well as he did. I was scared in the 1st round Serra was going to get another fluke win, this time off a headbutt, but Hughes is a warrior. I kinda wish Hughes would have retired after this fight since its clear his better days are behind him, but I think he wants to avenge that Alves loss before he calls it quits. I just hope he can cause I'd hate to see him lose again.

I was so pissed at Sherk! Why in the hell he didnt use his wrestling is beyond me. He is the best wrestler in that divison and he could have easily got the win if he used his bread and butter. But the last 3 fights Sherk thinks he's a boxer. Its the same reason he lost to Penn. This sets Sherk back at least 2 or 3 fights. I'm even worried Dana could let him go.

Machida is a monster. He's going to be champ until he wants to retire or gets old.

No one is beating him in his prime.

Machida's performance was incredible! There is no one who can touch that man, period. He is going to rule that division for a long long time. Rampage is going to suffer the same treatment as Rashad, probably quicker since Rampage is so easy to figure out.

I'm glad Hughes won. He didn't look as impressive as I would have liked, but he got the win regardless. I give Serra credit for defending off his back as well as he did. I was scared in the 1st round Serra was going to get another fluke win, this time off a headbutt, but Hughes is a warrior. I kinda wish Hughes would have retired after this fight since its clear his better days are behind him, but I think he wants to avenge that Alves loss before he calls it quits. I just hope he can cause I'd hate to see him lose again.

I was so pissed at Sherk! Why in the hell he didnt use his wrestling is beyond me. He is the best wrestler in that divison and he could have easily got the win if he used his bread and butter. But the last 3 fights Sherk thinks he's a boxer. Its the same reason he lost to Penn. This sets Sherk back at least 2 or 3 fights. I'm even worried Dana could let him go.

If Dana lets him go, Sherk is going to be a huge addition to Strikeforce. Right now, Machida is unstoppable and there is nobody who poses a legit threat for him.

I have no idea why Sherk tried to stand. The guy had such an obvious wrestling advantage, and everyone knew that Edgar was prone to a bigger and stronger guy out wrestling him. Why Sherk decided to stand and box with a guy that has a 5 inch reach advantage is beyond me. If Edgar was stuffing Sean's takedowns then I would understand, but Sherk only went for 3 takedowns the entire fight. Sherk has got to be kicking himself big time. There is even word that he ran out of the cage after the fight, and into the street with nothing but his shorts on. On a side note think about this for Edgar. Sherk has only been beaten by three people before. Hughes, the all time GOAT at welterweight for now. GSP, the guy who will probably be the new welterweight GOAT once his career is done. B.J., one of the most gifted guys ever at lightweight, and now Edgar is in that company. Sure Sherk kinda handed the fight to Frankie, but Frankie still played his game plan well. If it doesn't work out for him at 155, he'll be a contender at 145 for certain. I can see his speed giving people real fits in the WEC.

If Dana lets him go, Sherk is going to be a huge addition to Strikeforce. Right now, Machida is unstoppable and there is nobody who poses a legit threat for him.

That's true, he would be a huge addition for them. But I've always felt UFC has never really been behind Sherk all that much. Now with the lightweight division having Diego, and possibly Serra, if he quits being lazy, they might not care. I mean Sherk is still the 2nd best lightweight in the division. He just used a crappy gameplan against Edgar. If Sherk uses his wrestling again, he'll steamroll through the rest of the division and I think UFC might not want Sherk being gatekeeper and ruining potential matchups for the title.

And yes Machida is pretty much unstoppable. I don't see anything anyone can do to him. The guy is unreal and IMO, will probably go down as the GOAT in his division. Rampage will lose pretty much in similar fashion as Rashad, and Rampage doesnt have near as good of footwork as Rashad.

I have no idea why Sherk tried to stand. The guy had such an obvious wrestling advantage, and everyone knew that Edgar was prone to a bigger and stronger guy out wrestling him. Why Sherk decided to stand and box with a guy that has a 5 inch reach advantage is beyond me. If Edgar was stuffing Sean's takedowns then I would understand, but Sherk only went for 3 takedowns the entire fight. Sherk has got to be kicking himself big time. There is even word that he ran out of the cage after the fight, and into the street with nothing but his shorts on. On a side note think about this for Edgar. Sherk has only been beaten by three people before. Hughes, the all time GOAT at welterweight for now. GSP, the guy who will probably be the new welterweight GOAT once his career is done. B.J., one of the most gifted guys ever at lightweight, and now Edgar is in that company. Sure Sherk kinda handed the fight to Frankie, but Frankie still played his game plan well. If it doesn't work out for him at 155, he'll be a contender at 145 for certain. I can see his speed giving people real fits in the WEC.

Thing is Sherk went for the takedowns late in the fight when he was already tired and battered from Edgars stand-up, so his attempts were less effective than if he would have tried earlier.

You could tell Sherk was pissed as hell after the fight screaming and cursing at himself. He should be! He had the right tools to destroy Edgar but chose not to use them. The worst part is that this loss has set Sherk back a few fights and it was against a guy who will wind up going to WEC because Edgar wont be able to compete with the bigger stronger wrestlers/ground guys like Sanchez, Guida, Penn, Maynard, Florian.
Just a terrible performance by Sherk!

This fight establishes Sherk as a lightweight gatekeeper for life. He will never be a champion again. I didn't get why he suddenly decided to start shooting for a takedown in round 3 when it was already two late.

He kept throwing knockout punches in the first two rounds he wasn't getting and didn't change up enough. And yeah against a quick guy with such better reach, it was a stupid idea. Edgar was not standing and trading with Sherk like Tyson Griffin.

Frank "Twinkletoes" Trigg is returning to the UFC

http://mmajunkie.com/news/15005/vet...turning-to-the-ufc-signs-multi-fight-deal.mma

Veteran welterweight Frank Trigg returning to the UFC, signs multi-fight deal
by John Morgan and Dann Stupp on May 27, 2009 at 4:15 pm ET
Veteran fighter Frank Trigg (19-6 MMA, 2-3 UFC) is returning to the Ultimate Fighting Championship after signing a four-fight deal with the organization.

Trigg, who's a daily host for MMAjunkie.com Radio, today told MMAjunkie.com (www.mmajunkie.com) about the signing, which took nearly nine months to complete.

Trigg, who recently turned 37, went 2-3 in his first UFC stint from 2003-2005, but he's perhaps best remembered for two unsuccessful attempts at Matt Hughes' UFC welterweight title.

The Xtreme Couture fighter is expected to fight in late fall or early winter, though no specific date or opponent has yet been determined for his UFC return. Although he's competed as a middleweight in some recent fights, he'll remain at welterweight in the UFC.

When negotiations again started with Zuffa in 2008, Trigg initially talked to company executives about fighting for the UFC's sister promotion, World Extreme Cagefighting.

"We tried real hard to make a deal for the WEC, back when they still had a welterweight division, and we just couldn't come together," Trigg said. "I talked to them again, and (WEC matchmaker) Sean Shelby and (UFC matchmaker) Jose Silva and I got together and worked it all out."

The WEC eliminated its light heavyweight, middleweight and welterweight divisions beginning in 2008. Most of the weight classes' top fighters (including Carlos Condit, Chael Sonnen and Brock Larson) now compete in the UFC.

Trigg made his octagon debut at UFC 45 and suffered a loss to then-champ Hughes. It was the first of two losses to Hughes via rear-naked choke that would dog him in following years. To this day, Trigg jokes that he can't bear to watch the UFC's popular event-night highlights package, set to the tune of "Teenage Wasteland," because it features the two losses so prominently.

Trigg, who suffered a submission loss to Georges St. Pierre in the final UFC fight, is 7-2 since he left the organization in 2005. He's fought for ICON Sport, where he defeated Jason "Mayhem" Miller to win the organization's middleweight title in 2006, as well as PRIDE, HDNet Fights, World Victory Road's "Sengoku" event series and Strikeforce.

He's currently riding a four-fight win streak with six wins in his past seven fights.

During his 12-year pro career, the former University of Oklahoma wrestler has defeated the likes of Miller, Kazuo Misaki, Falaniko Vitale, Edwin Dewees and Dennis Hallman. His losses have come to notables Hughes (twice), St. Pierre, Condit, Robbie Lawler and Hayato Sakurai.

Trigg last competed at a February Xtreme Cagefighting Federation event, where he defeated Danny Babcock via unanimous decision.

I'd love to see Trigg get RNC by Hughes again, hehe. But seriously, I think he is fighting Koscheck

I'd love to see Trigg get RNC by Hughes again, hehe. But seriously, I think he is fighting Koscheck

Looks like Koscheck is going to get his first win by RNC.:hehe:

Trigg's UFC return won't last long. Maybe he can sub in his look-a-like Kurt Angle.

The weight cut is going to kill Trigg in his first fight. He hasnt had to cut weight in long time so I think that will be a little rough on him. I'd still love to see him beat Kos though. He is going to have a rough time at WW.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/tuf-takes-slice-17739

So apparently Kimbo Slice will be on TUF 10. I laughed when I saw this, because he's going to get owned again pretty hard, but he's got some guts. He could've easily taken a cheaper, but still very profitable offer, from Strikeforce or other MMA orgs. Instead he wants to test himself on TUF. He stands to gain more with TUF, but the risk is very high. If he wins TUF, he'll become a big star again with a renewed following. If he does well, then he extends his shelf life past two or three more marketable fights. If he gets his ass kicked early, he loses even more of his diminished marketability. If he would've stayed with Strikeforce, he probably would've gotten around $150,000 for two fights building up up and comers, and he probably would've "retired" again.

Man it sucks that Satoshi Isii, a judo gold medalist from Japan, won't be on TUF 10. He's been wanting to fight in the UFC pretty bad, and Dana really likes the guy. The only problem is that he's yet to fight in MMA. Good thing he signed with Sengoku to get some experience under his belt. If he's good there, he'll resign with the UFC and get his wish eventually. If he sucks, then at least he gets paid more in Japan before fizziling out. It would have been interesting to see him on TUF tossing dudes around though.

http://www.sherdog.com/news/news/tuf-takes-slice-17739

So apparently Kimbo Slice will be on TUF 10. I laughed when I saw this, because he's going to get owned again pretty hard, but he's got some guts. He could've easily taken a cheaper, but still very profitable offer, from Strikeforce or other MMA orgs. Instead he wants to test himself on TUF. He stands to gain more with TUF, but the risk is very high. If he wins TUF, he'll become a big star again with a renewed following. If he does well, then he extends his shelf life past two or three more marketable fights. If he gets his ass kicked early, he loses even more of his diminished marketability. If he would've stayed with Strikeforce, he probably would've gotten around $150,000 for two fights building up up and comers, and he probably would've "retired" again.

Man it sucks that Satoshi Isii, a judo gold medalist from Japan, won't be on TUF 10. He's been wanting to fight in the UFC pretty bad, and Dana really likes the guy. The only problem is that he's yet to fight in MMA. Good thing he signed with Sengoku to get some experience under his belt. If he's good there, he'll resign with the UFC and get his wish eventually. If he sucks, then at least he gets paid more in Japan before fizziling out. It would have been interesting to see him on TUF tossing dudes around though.

:lmao: at this. I want to see him get into a fight with Rampage Jackson or even get in the face of the usually reserved Rashad Evans

she can beat me up any day !!!:oldrazz:
Gina-Carano-2.jpg

before Elite XC folded, the rumor was she was going to fight Cyborg.....I like Gina but Cyborg would kick her face off

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
evilAIS
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"