The music of the panther

The way I see it (and I don't really like hip hop myself), rap music has its origins in Africa, so it's as fitting for a Black Panther movie as the electric-guitar driven themes for Wonder Woman are. I see it as a musical meta-reference.

Rap music doesn't have its origins in Africa anymore than rock music does.

They're African-American in origin. African, sure, but very much 20th century, out of urban environments in the USA.

The 20th Century is a blip on the radar for Wakandans, totally insignificant. New, western, inferior & foreign. They're as dismissive of foreign African people as they are of foreign Caucasian people.

As a black guy, it just bugs me pretty seriously. If the actual score by Goransson wasn't so good, it'd be a lot moreso. But given the score brings the African stuff in spades, whatever, let them have their cynical marketing tool with the hippity-hops. It's fine, it's inconsequential, Wakanda gets their actual representation in generous amounts despite the rap.

I thought it was the best musical score I've heard from a comic book film in ages. Loved that song by sza.

Just at times, they veered too far away from the African pipe music and towards typical john Williams type stuff which I think was a bit too generic for a movie this grand. Keep the african percussionists!

Yeah, I will say, while I loved some of the music, I thought it would be even better given the strength of the music in the trailers. I'd probably put it behind Guardians, Thor, and Ant-Man as far as soundtracks go.

Easily one of Marvel's BEST scores. I really dig the Kendrick Lamar soundtrack for the movie but Goransson's score is soooo hnnngh. Now THIS is a movie score! It sounds unlike anything we've heard before and its got a creative personality. Its too bad that it'll probably get overshadowed by the Kendrick soundtrack.

Yeah, I will say, while I loved some of the music, I thought it would be even better given the strength of the music in the trailers. I'd probably put it behind Guardians, Thor, and Ant-Man as far as soundtracks go.

Have you listened to the score on its own yet? I actually think the film does a slight poor job of implementing it. If you listen to individual tracks by themselves on the album, it is truly fantastic. The fact that it has a consistent theme that is reprised throughout puts it above most other MCU films for me.

One of the things I was wary of going into this film was the potential overuse of rap music. I'm not a fan of that genre of music in general, and in particular didn't like the Lamar songs that Marvel had released so far, but luckily their usage was nowhere near as frequent as I feared. Its use in the background made sense, as did the rap-sounding theme that Killmonger had.

The score itself was exactly what I was hoping for. Goransson's work on Fruitvale Station & Creed was solid but unexceptional, so it was nice to hear him stretch his wings here. While it might not have some of the zany highlights of Mothersbaugh's Ragnarok, I think it's ultimately a more even and balanced score. Not sure that it is in the top of the MCU's scores, that'll take more time and listens to evaluate.

I loved how much of Ludwig's hip hop "American" score was brought into Wakanda's score more as Killmonger spent more time there. Very clever use of music.

Have you listened to the score on its own yet? I actually think the film does a slight poor job of implementing it. If you listen to individual tracks by themselves on the album, it is truly fantastic. The fact that it has a consistent theme that is reprised throughout puts it above most other MCU films for me.

I have not. Good advice.

Based off what I noticed in the film. I found the score compelling and moving during certain moments. It had a nice mixture of African percussive music, vocals, Hip Hop, and brass, etc. Though Black Panther's theme isn't as comprehensive as certain superhero themes, which isn't a criticism, it still resonated with me after the movie. It's definitely the most distinctive and unconventional MCU score. Göransson didn't disappoint, imo.

Easily the best MCU score and one of the best I've ever heard.
Can't stop listening to Wakanda and Killmonger tracks.

That moment in "Burn it all" when traditional music gives way to hip hop beats is one of the best uses of music in the entire genre.

Does anyone know the song that plays when T'Challa and Nakia are walking in the streets of the city, right after he comes out of the ancestral plane for the first time? I'm not able to find the name of the song anywhere and it's not there in the official album or OST either.

One of the best scores for a CBM!

My favourite piece in the film was Killmonger's theme!

Last edited:
I cannot stop listening to this score. The epic "T'Challa!"chant with the African drums gives me goosebumps everytime. Best Marvel score ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"