The Mutants to Hit Cannes

Aiden said:
The initial budget for Vaughn was 190 million. It was bumped up to 200 when Ratner came on board

Are those exact figures that you have read somewhere or estimates? :confused:

If true we are in for some great visuals. It's not surprising that they are still working on the effects at this late stage if they've got that much money to spend on making things beautiful. :up:

Iceman/Psylocke said:

If true we are in for some great visuals. It's not surprising that they are still working on the effects at this late stage if they've got that much money to spend on making things beautiful. :up:

Let's hope so. I also heard though that one of the reasons they gave it such a big budget though was so that they could afford to shoot it as quickly as possible. SOme of the extra money went into everyone building sets at different locations at the same time and whatnot, which I think makes sense too.

Aiden said:
The initial budget for Vaughn was 190 million. It was bumped up to 200 when Ratner came on board

Variety pegged the production at 150$ Million. The marketing was not part of that figure....

http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/ooh-la-la-sony-doing-can-can-for-cannes/

Studios Throwing Money (Away) at Cannes

I'm told Sony Pictures is skipping the usual mind-numbing U.S. premieres for its tentpole summer picture The Da Vinci Code and substituting an absurdly lavish international junket aboard a specially outfitted Eurostar destined for the 59th Cannes Film Festival world premiere. The train will be diverted from London's Waterloo Station straight to Cannes (instead of Paris) for "all sorts of old-fashioned Hollywood fun" to amuse the film's stars and the world's press, sources gushingly tell me. Supposedly, each car will be decorated like a different chapter of the book -- as if the movie isn't already the most overhyped product around. (Speaking of London, High Court justice Peter Smith rules tomorrow on that copyright infringement case against the publisher of Dan Brown's omnipresent novel.) Then, the studio will bookend the fest by creating hoopla around Marie Antionette, its 18th century biopic entry starring Kirsten Dunst. I can't wait to see how the French respond to Sofia Coppola's attempt to make Miss "Let-Them-Eat-Cake" sympathetic.

Meanwhile, I'm told that Paramount will have its biggest presence at the May 17-28 festival in recent memory to coincide with the launch of its new global brand and its self-distributing in 15 of the major territories by 2007. And let's not forget about Fox's X-Men 3 (The Last Stand) and Warner Bros.' The Fountain bowing there.

So I've got to ask: Why in the world are these studios wasting their money? After all, the Cannes Film Festival in recent years has seemed little more than a quaint relic of a rich cinematic past ... a faded glory where a handful of stars jet in to prostitute themselves for one night before those hordes of photographers in front of the Palais des Festivals on the Boulevard de la Croisette, and then jet out again ... a tax-deductible excuse for Hollywood moguls to sponge off studios at the Hotel Du Cap or The Carlton ... a self-absorbed competition where a bunch of Europeans no one ever heard of judge -- more like ignore -- American movie product for the Palme D'Or. In other words, who gave a rat's ass? But all of a sudden, ooh la la, Hollywood is doing the can-can at Cannes this year. I say don't-don't. Frankly, I think it's spendthrift ego-feed. Nevertheless, Paramount will be showcasing newly acquired Dreamworks product, pushing the animated feature Over the Hedge and hosting a luncheon presentation of Dreamgirls with Eddie, Beyonce and Jamie. Also getting supersized treament will be the documentary, Al Gore: An Inconvenient Truth. And it's already been announced that the studio plans to show 20 minutes of Oliver Stone's World Trade Center. Making the trip is Paramount boss Brad Grey accompanied by Gail Berman and Rob Moore. The entire Sony bunch will also be there (though I hope little-heard-from John Calley will be invited since the former boss turned producer is responsible for buying the Da Vinci Code novel for Sony in the first place). C'est fou.

Iceman/Psylocke said:

When Vaughn left Empire reported 190 million. In the past weeks we have seen many magazines and websites saying 200

narrows101 said:
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/ooh-la-la-sony-doing-can-can-for-cannes/

Studios Throwing Money (Away) at Cannes

I'm told Sony Pictures is skipping the usual mind-numbing U.S. premieres for its tentpole summer picture The Da Vinci Code and substituting an absurdly lavish international junket aboard a specially outfitted Eurostar destined for the 59th Cannes Film Festival world premiere. The train will be diverted from London's Waterloo Station straight to Cannes (instead of Paris) for "all sorts of old-fashioned Hollywood fun" to amuse the film's stars and the world's press, sources gushingly tell me. Supposedly, each car will be decorated like a different chapter of the book -- as if the movie isn't already the most overhyped product around. (Speaking of London, High Court justice Peter Smith rules tomorrow on that copyright infringement case against the publisher of Dan Brown's omnipresent novel.) Then, the studio will bookend the fest by creating hoopla around Marie Antionette, its 18th century biopic entry starring Kirsten Dunst. I can't wait to see how the French respond to Sofia Coppola's attempt to make Miss "Let-Them-Eat-Cake" sympathetic.

Meanwhile, I'm told that Paramount will have its biggest presence at the May 17-28 festival in recent memory to coincide with the launch of its new global brand and its self-distributing in 15 of the major territories by 2007. And let's not forget about Fox's X-Men 3 (The Last Stand) and Warner Bros.' The Fountain bowing there.

So I've got to ask: Why in the world are these studios wasting their money? After all, the Cannes Film Festival in recent years has seemed little more than a quaint relic of a rich cinematic past ... a faded glory where a handful of stars jet in to prostitute themselves for one night before those hordes of photographers in front of the Palais des Festivals on the Boulevard de la Croisette, and then jet out again ... a tax-deductible excuse for Hollywood moguls to sponge off studios at the Hotel Du Cap or The Carlton ... a self-absorbed competition where a bunch of Europeans no one ever heard of judge -- more like ignore -- American movie product for the Palme D'Or. In other words, who gave a rat's ass? But all of a sudden, ooh la la, Hollywood is doing the can-can at Cannes this year. I say don't-don't. Frankly, I think it's spendthrift ego-feed. Nevertheless, Paramount will be showcasing newly acquired Dreamworks product, pushing the animated feature Over the Hedge and hosting a luncheon presentation of Dreamgirls with Eddie, Beyonce and Jamie. Also getting supersized treament will be the documentary, Al Gore: An Inconvenient Truth. And it's already been announced that the studio plans to show 20 minutes of Oliver Stone's World Trade Center. Making the trip is Paramount boss Brad Grey accompanied by Gail Berman and Rob Moore. The entire Sony bunch will also be there (though I hope little-heard-from John Calley will be invited since the former boss turned producer is responsible for buying the Da Vinci Code novel for Sony in the first place). C'est fou.

It certainly looks like they are taking it seriously this year. X3 is sure to get noticed being the only "blockbuster" type film at the festival. It's a brave move with all the critics that will be around. I doubt most of them are coming to watch X3.

Aiden said:
When Vaughn left Empire reported 190 million. In the past weeks we have seen many magazines and websites saying 200

Great news. $200m is a hell of a lot of money especially compared to previous X-film budgets. There should be room to expand on every character's powers.

200 million dollars? That's a lot of money.

Can I have a million?

If it's $200 million it makes X3 the most expensive sequel coming out. Unless you count Spider-man 3 ($250 million)

And the most expensive film of the year from Fox. (Right?)

The most expensive film that is coming out this year is X3 (I think)

Just want to remind everyone that the lineup for the Cannes Film Festival is revealed tomorrow, April 20.

I believe that 200 million figure is with marketing. In Premiere magazine, it said the movie cost 150 million.

Aiden said:
The most expensive film that is coming out this year is X3 (I think)
I thought Superman Returns has bigger budget than X3.

Yeah, I thought Superman Returns has a bigger budget than X3 too--I bet it does . . . unless trying to finish the movie under shorter time constraints than Superman Returns has unexpectedly made X3 cost a lot more . . . but I still think Superman Returns is higher.

Longs métrages - Hors-compétition
X-Men l'affrontement final

X3 will be indeed shown at Cannes out of the competition.

it show a great confidence in the studio on their movie, because if X3 is not a good movie , it will be especially trashed by the critics , Cannes being an arty competition..and this kind of publicity in Europe is not good ( on the other hand some movies like "Le Grand bleu" had disastrous critics at Cannes and became great hits, so we never know.. )personnaly, even if in general i have no problem to trust some critics, i have not as much with the "Cannes Critics" because i saw some really great movie being trashed there.(some have been rehabilitated later )

It will be interesting , anyways.

http://www.allocine.fr/festival/ficheedition_gen_cedition=18350696&cfestival=229.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4926256.stm

Loach up for Palme d'Or at Cannes

Ken Loach's latest film, The Wind That Shakes the Barley, is in the running for the prestigious Palme d'Or award at this year's Cannes Film Festival.

Set during the Irish Civil War, it will compete with Pedro Almodovar's Volver and Sofia Coppola's Marie-Antoinette for the festival's top honour.
US director Richard Linklater is also in contention for his film adaptation of non-fiction book Fast Food Nation.

Last year's Palme d'Or was won by Belgian drama L'Enfant.
It is the eighth time Loach has been nominated for Cannes' most coveted prize.

The veteran British director has never won the honour but has been given other awards, including a lifetime achievement prize in 2004.

Also in the running this year is Il Caimano (The Caiman), a satirical portrait of Italian prime minister Silvio Berlusconi from director Nanni Moretti.

The Italian film-maker won the Palme d'Or in 2001 with The Son's Room. There are four French films in this year's line-up, including the latest movies from Nicole Garcia and Bruno Dumont.

Donnie Darko director Richard Kelly is nominated for his new film Southland Tales, while new films by Finland's Aki Kaurismaki and Mexican directors Guillermo Del Toro and Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu also make the cut.

United 93, a recreation of the final hours of one of the planes hijacked on 11 September 2001, will be shown out of competition, as will blockbuster sequel X-Men 3: The Last Stand.

Tom Hanks, Bruce Willis, Hugh Jackman and Kirsten Dunst are among the stars expected at this year's event.

It opens on 17 May with a gala screening of The Da Vinci Code, the film version of the controversial Dan Brown bestseller.

http://www.ttc.org/200604201204.k3kc4e523485.htm
'DA VINCI' AND 'X-MEN' BRING STAR-POWER TO CANNES FILM FESTIVAL

PARIS, April 20, 2006 (AFP) - Stars from the "The Da Vinci Code" and "X-Men 3" are to spearhead the celebrity invasion at this year's Cannes film festival, according to details of the event released Thursday by organisers.

Tom Hanks, Audrey Tautou, Hugh Jackman, Halle Berry and Ian McKellen are among the A-listers expected to walk the red carpet in the French Riviera resort during the May 17-28 festival.

Other top names include Bruce Willis, Cate Blanchett, Kirsten Dunst, The Rock, Willem Dafoe, Bob Hoskins, and Cannes jury members Samuel L. Jackson, Helena Bonham-Carter, Zhang Ziyi and Monica Bellucci.

Organisers said the festival -- the top showcase in the world for international cinema and the biggest gathering of movie industry executives -- would reinforce its role as a magnet for "art cinema, glamour, deals and the press".

"The Da Vinci Code" and the latest "X-Men" movie are to be shown out of competition, but will ensure a lightning storm of press coverage as the stars appear.

Jan Irisi said:
Any news on The Fountain?

I'm wondering if something happened - it's not mentioned in any of the news reports and I don't see it on the Cannes official website either.

narrows101 said:
I'm wondering if something happened - it's not mentioned in any of the news reports and I don't see it on the Cannes official website either.

Awwww, darn it!!! What is happening with this thing???????

Jan Irisi said:
Awwww, darn it!!! What is happening with this thing???????
That's a very good question. Hopefully it was just an oversight or will be added later (but that's a big "hopefully") - sometimes I wonder if this movie was ever made!

I just read on Allocine that The fountain will not be shown at Cannes finally..

:( ..

Les absents

Citons en bref quelques-uns des nombreux films que la rumeur annonçait partants pour la Croisette, et qui n'ont finalement pas été retenus en Sélection officielle (pas prêts, ou pas à la hauteur ?) : Inland empire de Lynch, The Good German de Soderbergh, Le Dahlia noir de De Palma, Scoop dde Woody Allen, The Golden door de Crialese, Blackbook de Paul Verhoeven, The Queen de Stephen Frears, The Fountain de Darren Aronofsky, Breaking and entering d'Anthony Minghella, Hana Yori Mo Naho de Kore-Eda Hirokazu, Azur et Azmar de Michel Ocelot, Maradona de Kusturica, Lady Chatterley de Pascale Ferran, Voyage en Arménie de Guédiguian ou encore Nacido y criado de Pablo Trapero.

that said,well the movie goes on release in november here, and you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"