THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY

Persona

Sidekick
Reaction score
So this is a family show currently running on Disney+ that we randomly started watching and I was surprised at how good it is. Absolutely no one is talking about it or watching it, feels like, probably because it's not Marble or a Star War.

It is a kid-centric cast but Tony Hale has a main role and he is delightful in it. On a broader level the show feels a bit like the best parts of Netflix' Lemony Snicket series combined with some very Wes Anderson sensibilities, and yet the story and characters feel unique. The writing and dialogue are actually quite lovely and the ideas are resonant. I am trying to think of a TV show that me and my young kids both enjoyed at such a high level. Over the Garden Wall is probably the only other such show that comes close.

Ultimately, I felt like this show deserves its own thread because I just watched episode 5, which was directed by Karyn Kusama, and it was probably the best episode of new television I have seen this year. Granted, I haven't see a lot. But Karyn killed it.

THIS is the best show on Disney+. By about 12 parsecs.

I really like it. It wears it's influences on it's sleeves, but not in a bad way. There are apparently 4 books. I am going to assume this season is based on the first. Hope it gets renewed. I want more.

Unfortunately, unless Disney is just committed to releasing it because of its excellence, I will be surprised if this gets more seasons. Feels like almost no one is watching it.

But glad I'm not alone in enjoying it!

I thought this show would star Benedict Cumberbatch and Benedict Wong.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"