The Dark Knight Rises The New Catwoman Casting Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know they are seperate things; if I didn't, then my post would lack any internal logic.

I am saying that turning Selina into- for example- a black American, would be a less significant change than turning her into a Frenchwoman.

^ Look if you want to get real technical then yes, altering nationalities is as significant a change as much as changing race, but aesthetically it's not and therefore is given more leeway, hence why we've had numerous foreign actresses named as potential candidates. I guess what it comes down to is that vocally, Selina or any character is up for interpretation because we don't know what they sound like, but visually we do.

Last edited:
I know they are seperate things; if I didn't, then my post would lack any internal logic.

I am saying that turning Selina into- for example- a black American, would be a less significant change than turning her into a Frenchwoman.
Here's a thought... Why can't she just be American and white? :wow::wow::wow:

I don't mind the idea of a Frenchwoman playing Catwoman any more than I mind a Brit playing Batman. I would take issue with Catwoman being reinterpreted as a Frenchwoman in order to allow a French actress to play the part without changing her accent, however. There are enough available actresses in order to avoid this silly outcome.

I don't mind the idea of a Frenchwoman playing Catwoman any more than I mind a Brit playing Batman. I would take issue with Catwoman being reinterpreted as a Frenchwoman in order to allow a French actress to play the part without changing her accent, however. There are enough available actresses in order to avoid this silly outcome.
I agree.

Thank you.

:applaud

Errr....:cmad: I didn't mean the actor I meant the character. :whatever:

I'm not really advocating changing her nationality, but if Nolan was so impressed by Cotillard's performance in Inception, what's saying he might not want to write the part for her? It's not unheard of for writers to do that. Again, this character will have to be adapted to the series (as this isn't a comic book, nor is it the same continuity), meaning it will most likely not be 100% true to its comic counterpart in a few or more senses.

Personally, unless she has ties to Falcone in this series, I don't really care whether or not she's Italian. I mean, I can't judge what I'd want her to be exactly, since we don't know what story we'd get out of Catwoman. If we get a bastard child looking for her father (Falcone), then yeah, it may make a little more sense to delve into Italian roots. If we just get a gorgeous socialite named Selina Kyle who is a fantastic thief and- coincidentally- a life-changing courter for Bruce, what does her nationality matter? Besides, Kyle isn't even an Italian last name (nor is it French, it's derived from the Scots).

I'm more concerned with her attitude and her interactions with Bruce and her opponents than I am with what her nationality- or even her name- is. That's where her character lies.

All that said, if the writing for the character calls for an American accent, great. Make the actress learn an American accent. It's not a big deal to me. I just love Cotillard's accent, and wouldn't mind it one bit if she used it as Selina.

I'm still really into seeing Thandie Newton play Catwoman/Selina. I like her vulnerability in Crash and her self-assurance and seductive character in Riddick and RockN'Rolla as well as her character in Pursuit of Happiness.

IMAGE REMOVED

Last edited by a moderator:
If they were to go with an black woman for the role it would be Thandie but I still perfer them using a white actress.

Last edited:
I guess I'm the only one that thinks she pretty.:o

Was the image removed because it was from a website? I guess it was...

Monica Bellucci
monica-bellucci.jpg

I must thank this current conversation, as I was curious enough to search the topic. All I can say is Google Image rocks, and that Thandie has got an awesome pair for her frame. Wow. :funny:

As much as I would love Angelina Jolie as Catwoman, it would probably be highly unlikely and too much to ask for. I really want Charlize Theron or Scarlett Johansson as Selina Kyle/Catwoman because they have some striking similarities to Michelle Pfeiffer, who nailed the character in Batman Returns. Marion Cotillard would be a great casting choice as well, I was much impressed with her acting after seeing Public Enemies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"