The New Gods

KangConquers

Purple Kang, Purple Kang
Reaction score
Being born in the mid-80s, The Mattel Super Powers toyline had a big role in my introduction to the world of DC comics; not just Darkseid and Orion, but also Desaid, Kalibak, Steppen Wolf, etc.

I've always been quite partial to them as characters in the DC Universe, and it's not a matter of if I want to see them on film, it's when and how.

Though the obvious way would be a JLA or Superman tie in with Darkseid as the villain, I think I would ultimately prefer a New Gods/ Fourth World film. There's enough story there to make at least one film, maybe even a trilogy.

Marvel studios is already keeping tabs on GL, and readying a cosmic film if Green Lantern is a success; Perhaps DC Entertainment could keep a similar eye on Thor, and if that film is successful, position New Gods as fitting that niche in their own universe.

I would love a New Gods movie! It should be all Kirby-tech and 60s/70s sci-fi with non-stop action and Byzantine intrigue. It could be so awesome.

A New Gods movie would HAVE to be 100% Kirby, at least on a visual level...

Here are some of my ideas for a Live Action Fourth World movie.

http://forums.superherohype.com/showthread.php?t=287465

4thworld.gif

This is sort of my pitch,
I think Jack Kirby's Fourth World would make the perfect 3 (to 4) movie Epic. I picture it being done in the same way that Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and various other movies set in their own universe were done.
Fourth World is a story that takes place far far away from us. If the studios took the film as seriosly as those films, especially LOTR, then it would be a huge and epic trillogy.

DEANG_Cv1.jpg

The film would fallow Jack Kirby's original storyline, about the warring planets: the power hungry Apocalypse and peaceful New Genisis. I see several Fourth World characters starring, not just Orion and Darksied, but all the other characters in Fourth World.

The star though, of coarse, would be Orion, the son of Darkseid who was traded for Scott Free in a peace effort with New Genisis.
06oriongodsport.gif

Like Frodo or Luke, he is the films star but not its only main character.
Orion is described as a Dog or War by Jack Kirby, he should be what Kirby's original idea for him was.

highfather.jpg

Highfather is another character, a sort of Obi-Won of the film. He is the leader of New Genisis. He and his planet preach peace and that the future belongs to the young.

mrmiracle.jpg

Mister Miracle

and
bigbarda.jpg

Big Barda

as well as

foreverpeoplemembers.jpg

The Forever People, who have been descrived as a group of hippies.

And these are just some of the good guys for starters.

Throughout the trilogy the audiance would be introduced to various characters as the story progressed, not all would be the main stars and may only be seen shortly or in the background like in LOTR.

This film would not only be a film about Superheroes and villians, but have an underlying message about war (particularly the Vietnam War since that is what Kirby was writing it about.)

[blackout]
This thread has been OKed by hunter rider.
[/blackout]

And there is more. You can check it out in my link or I can post more later.

Yes it would definitely have to be pure Kirby inspired bliss

Artistsean, your vision for this movie kicks my ass.

Last edited:
Did you all hear that Darkseid, G. Goodness, F. Furies and Desaad are going to appear in Smallville. Now that's a way for a show I care nothing for to get me to watch.

IMO Darkseid should be introduced in a Justice League movie, since New Gods probably ain't happening for a while. If the JL movie makes $$$ then they can spin off a TNG movie from it.

IMO Darkseid should be introduced in a Justice League movie, since New Gods probably ain't happening for a while. If the JL movie makes $$$ then they can spin off a TNG movie from it.

I agree.

This might p*ss some of the purists here, but I just think that Darkseid is more known for his stories with Justice League, cross-overs, and Superman.

With Justice League, he would be the ULTIMATE villain.

I don't get the love for Kirby...I really don't. The charcters look like saturday morning cartoon characters.

I LOVE his art. I had no idea who he was but then Bruce Timm and a lot of other artists were referencing him so I checked him out. He is just awesome to me. And I love the epic story of Fourth World.

Yes it would definitely have to be pure Kirby inspired bliss
Artistsean, your vision for this movie kicks my ass.
thanks. I was reading Fourth World vol. 2 at the time and was really excited about it.

I agree.

This might p*ss some of the purists here, but I just think that Darkseid is more known for his stories with Justice League, cross-overs, and Superman.

With Justice League, he would be the ULTIMATE villain.

I think if they are going to add a Darksied character to the DCU or a Superman movie, which I completely get because he is bigger and stronger making Superman the weaker one this time,
I would use Mongol instead of Darkseid. And leave Darkseid for a Fourth World movie.
Not because I'm a purest, but if Darksied is used then the general audience wont be able to separate that movie from the Fourth World.
They say things like, which took place first the Superman movie or Fourth World. And why doesn't Superman show up in the Fourth World movies?
One of the ways, in my opinion, for the Fourth World movies to work is if they are separate completely from our world. So like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings we don't include Earth or anything about Earth at all. That way a planet full of colorfully armored warriors fighting demonic figures wont seem so strange or unreal, because our own world wont be shown in comparison.
So I would be afraid that if he was used in Superman or a JLA movie, as awesome and appropriate as that would be, it would ruin his appearances in all the Fourth World movies.
And I think to fully show how Darksied's stories end in the 4th world movies he couldn't appear in a JLA movie.

Last edited:
One of the ways, in my opinion, for the Fourth World movies to work is if they are separate completely from our world. So like Star Wars or Lord of the Rings we don't include Earth or anything about Earth at all. That way a planet full of colorfully armored warriors fighting demonic figures wont seem so strange or unreal, because our own world wont be shown in comparison.

Agreed. That's exactly how it should be done.

A New Gods movie/series would be fantastic.

I don't get the love for Kirby...I really don't. The charcters look like saturday morning cartoon characters.

....because he influenced more than a few of those artists

Being born in the mid-80s, The Mattel Super Powers toyline had a big role in my introduction to the world of DC comics; not just Darkseid and Orion, but also Desaid, Kalibak, Steppen Wolf, etc.

I've always been quite partial to them as characters in the DC Universe, and it's not a matter of if I want to see them on film, it's when and how.

Though the obvious way would be a JLA or Superman tie in with Darkseid as the villain, I think I would ultimately prefer a New Gods/ Fourth World film. There's enough story there to make at least one film, maybe even a trilogy.

Marvel studios is already keeping tabs on GL, and readying a cosmic film if Green Lantern is a success; Perhaps DC Entertainment could keep a similar eye on Thor, and if that film is successful, position New Gods as fitting that niche in their own universe.

HBO should develop New Gods/Fourth World as a series. With a somewhat mature rating.

Sure, he influenced them. That's great. But I don't get the appeal for his art work nowadays.
Jack Kirby created over 100 characters we all know and love today!
http://www.comicvine.com/myvine/artisticneedham/jack-kirbys-creations-list/75-15680/
He created (and designed), in part, Captain America, the fantastic Four, the X-Men, Hulk,
Thor, Dr. Doom, Skrulls, the New Gods of coarse, Galactus, Inhumans, the Eternals, Darkseid, the Demon, OMAC, the Watchers, Nick Fury, and many many others, oh and the Sentinels.
He not only was able to draw something like 15 pages a week minimum, but he designed so many of the characters we enjoy today years ago.
He could draw a comic page straight from his mind without sketching anything out first, like he was projecting it onto the page with his mind.
he created the Kirby Crackle, and kept the story going by changing the Background so he wouldn't have to get stuck detailing the same BG over and over. He and Stan Lee created many ideas we know and love today,
and in his mind he is the Thing. the way he moves and talks and his personality were Jack Kirby.
[YT]1t7TnnMFl5s[/YT]
galleries of art just for fun
http://www.comicartfans.com/searchresult.asp?PM=1&txtSearch=jack+kirby&PI=54
Jack Kirby : http://comicartcommunity.com/gallery/categories.php?cat_id=55

Last edited:

I disagree. In the context of JLA, Darkseid is a one-dimensional alien threat; in the context of The New Gods, he's a fully fleshed out character with a back story, history, and personal ties.

I think it would be a waste of Darkseid when any number of DC alien villains would do in his place for JLA.

I once read an article in the Jack Kirby Collector, possibly issue #46, where the writer talked about all the many layers of New Gods.
The Old Gods dying and the New Gods being born was meant to be the death of the Asgardians and Thor and the birth of new characters (Ragnarok), but Kirby knew he couldn't get away with that at Marvel.
Apocalypse was said to maybe represent New York, where Kirby grew up, and New Genesis was California, where Kirby eventually moved to.
How Orion, High Father, Scott Free, and others, may represent Kirby at different points in his life.
It also mentions how the story of Fourth World was a commentary on other things like War, Greed, Corruption, Pollution, and stuff like that.
I think the movie could be more than just a big superhero epic, but a big epic with many layers and lots of meaning.
A big epic story with lots of levels and meaning would draw big stars and good actors and writers, I would imagine. I could see the four movies being huge and maybe even as big or bigger than Lord of the Rings, which Kirby was inspired by (the books) to write Fourth World.

I once read an article in the Jack Kirby Collector, possibly issue #46, where the writer talked about all the many layers of New Gods.
The Old Gods dying and the New Gods being born was meant to be the death of the Asgardians and Thor and the birth of new characters (Ragnarok), but Kirby knew he couldn't get away with that at Marvel.
Apocalypse was said to maybe represent New York, where Kirby grew up, and New Genesis was California, where Kirby eventually moved to.
How Orion, High Father, Scott Free, and others, may represent Kirby at different points in his life.
It also mentions how the story of Fourth World was a commentary on other things like War, Greed, Corruption, Pollution, and stuff like that.
I think the movie could be more than just a big superhero epic, but a big epic with many layers and lots of meaning.
A big epic story with lots of levels and meaning would draw big stars and good actors and writers, I would imagine. I could see the four movies being huge and maybe even as big or bigger than Lord of the Rings, which Kirby was inspired by (the books) to write Fourth World.

Any thoughts on a New Gods cast?

Let me take a crack at a New Gods heroes casting

Orion - Sam Worthington
sam_worthington_photo.jpg

Big Barda - Kim Director (May need movie magic to make her look taller)
Kim%20Headshot%202%205-05%201.jpg

Mister Miracle - Craig Horner
craig-horner-craig-horner-6524198-370-455.jpg

Lightray -Topher Grace (DEAD WRONG for Venom, but right for Lightray)
dreamz04110636.jpg

I don't know who should be picked for this movie,
but Kirby's inspiration for Big Barda was Lainie Kazan:
LainieMeetsBarda.jpg

someone on Cast the DCU or the JLA posted her:
lake-bell-bigbarda.png

Lake Bell as Big Barda. That sounds sort of good.

I always imagined Highfather as a James Garner type, especially the voice:
Genesisdcu0.png
garnerashighfather.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"